Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mckpickle said:
AHRRRRRRRRRR

I can't wait for the rest of the flightinfo family to wake up and take a crack at you. I bet you read the FAR/AIM while taking a crap!

Oh of course, don't you know that in order to get a riddle diploma, you have to be able to quote the FAR's every single page word for word?

Every riddle head I've ever met is a ray ban wearing, bomber jacket having, polo shirt tucking, flight instructor ephilet wearing, leather flightcase to a 172 carrying, FAR quoting, DORK!!!!

My personal favorites are the hoards of pilots all chiming in to respond to a "stuck mic".......

Everyone has to get the word out ya know....unfortunately, the only one who can't hear you is the fool with the stuck mic....he has a stuck mic!!! (that's microphone by the way).

Oh, and what about "blocked" ????

I have counted up to seven responses of "blocked" which continue to step on the poor slob who was blocked to begin with. It's really hard to get a word in sometimes with all the chatter already, but getting blocked out by some fool saying "blocked" over and over is a riot!!

All good stuff guys, thanks for the pointers.

C yaaaa

Let me give you a hypothetical: you're booming in at redline minus 5 into a VERY busy hub. The overworked center controller gives you a quick, "Expect a 15 mile final."

Now, he's doing you a courtesy - helping you with your descent planning. It would also be courteous for you to stay the he!! off his freq as much as possible. So what's wrong with using "Roger"? NOT to acknowledge a clearance, but to answer some ancilliary communication?

Oh, and to the guy with "lots" of experience, I bet you thought that CRM class was a waste of time, didn't you?

MickeySlapnutz said:
The Air Force had you respond with "On to hold"...that is what I think you are hearing.

So you're telling me that all of these CHQ/Comair/ASA/Colgan/Hell even Our F/Os are ex-fighter jocks?! Wow! I am way underqualified!!

Can I use the phrase "checking on at", or is that going to put alot of you anal pilots into a tissie.

Captain 7,

Have to jump in and offer my 2 cents on this one, but the original post really is small stuff. With 21,000 hrs, I truly hope you have some international time, otherwise you are missing out on some great “non-standard” calls. Maybe because I’ve spent 2 tours in Italy, I find that phrases like “with you,” “checking-in,” “good afternoon,” “ciao,” etc. make comms a bit more civil. In London, where you will get a handoff about every 90 sec, the controllers will still respond with “cheers,” in you take the extra 3 sec to insert a cordiality. Even Saturday, the guy working Atlanta asked us if Treasure Island was closed because he used to be stationed there.

What is important, IMHO, is too get the numbers right. We had a crew doing a practice NDB approach at night to Zadar, a small field on the Croation coast. Approach called an altimeter of “0992” (0992 mB) and the crew read back “altimeter 2992.” The helmet fire began to smolder and three times they asked “confirm altimeter 2992,” “affirmative, 992” was the reply. The difference comes out to 435’ low! Fortunately they realized the error when they crossed checked the radalt.

On the humorous side, I’ve heard: “Ciao bella” as the Napoli controller flirts w/ my female copilot on the handoff to Roma; “Navy531, whatever you want, it’s OK with us,” while doing practice approaches at Pescara; “NavyMS503, cotton, daw on da wonwaaay,” (…caution, dogs on the runway) from U’Tapaho tower, etc. Never actually heard this one, but the story goes a crew report “light rock activity” as they tooled around Mt. Etna VFR; yes they torn up the airplane…

My all-time favorite funny though was back as a new LT when I was flying with a senior LCDR. Waiting for 15+ min in the baking July sun on the ramp at Naples for start clearance to go home to Sig after 5 legs already. Ground finally calls us back and my aircraft commander starts shouting “YEAH, BRAVO, BRAVO, YEAH!” Being young and stupid, I hold the mic over and click the switch… An Alitalia guy comes up and asks “What the hell is going on?,” to which ground replies “Somebody must be drunk!” We laughed our behinds off the whole way home.

Keep it in perspective, just my 2 cents…

Fly_Chick said:
Roger. I will not let any of my primary students use the word "Roger". I have them look up the defintion in the pilot controller glossary. My interpretation to them is if the say "Roger" they are saying "I have heard everything you said, I understand everything you said, I will comply with everythig you said, and I alleviate you from any responsibility and I take full responsibility for every thing I do."

Most of the time when the student says "Roger" he/she has missed half the transmission and is just saying it as he/she has heard it elsewhere on the radios. When I ask them what they are expected to do, they typically cannot fully comply nor repeat back the instructions.

I am with FlyChicaga and Captain 7 on this one.

Your definition for 'Roger' sounds like the definition for 'Wilco'...heard, understand, will comply. As an instructor, you shouldnt limit your students just because they are not being taught the proper terminology.

So explain to me what's so wrong with asking for an instrument approach to a runway that isn't in use? At many airports, they can easily accomodate you by breaking you off on a 1 or 2 mile final. Worst thing they can say is "unable", so what have you lost?

I'm used to having an airplane on the ILS to one runway, another airplane on a GPS approach to the opposite runway, while a third airplane is on a VOR-A with four in the pattern doing landings. If you can't deal with it, go somewhere else! You're a pilot - as such, you should be flexible and situationally aware enough to ask for something if you want and/or need it. Especially as a CFI.

"Indy Center, XXXXX twenty-six seven for three three oh, good morning". Guess I'm wrong because I didn't say INDIANAPOLIS, said three instead of TREE, oh instead of ZERO, and used that oh-so-fopah salutation at 0630 on the way to Dulles...

Some of you must have been that guy that wouldn't accept the congested airport LAHSO in your Baron (or worse, 172) because you *only* had 4000 ft of runway to stop with:rolleyes:

FN FAL said:
Go Wee hawks! (or whatever it was that Rodger at Chicago center used to say!"

Sporting Wood on 7 left!
Rodger was in a class all by himself, I know of atleast ten people who tried to get the last word in and never could . Some of the best ATC chats I had was talking to him or listening to him shoot the breeze with the other early morning freight dawgs.
We had a Christmas card from him up in our crewroom in MKE but I think he came in and took it back after everyone said the dogs were nice but who was the old fartknocker with them.:eek:

Jobear

VVJM265 said:
Captain 7,

Have to jump in and offer my 2 cents on this one, but the original post really is small stuff. With 21,000 hrs, I truly hope you have some international time, otherwise you are missing out on some great “non-standard” calls. Maybe because I’ve spent 2 tours in Italy, I find that phrases like “with you,” “checking-in,” “good afternoon,” “ciao,” etc. make comms a bit more civil. In London, where you will get a handoff about every 90 sec, the controllers will still respond with “cheers,” in you take the extra 3 sec to insert a cordiality. Even Saturday, the guy working Atlanta asked us if Treasure Island was closed because he used to be stationed there.

What is important, IMHO, is too get the numbers right. We had a crew doing a practice NDB approach at night to Zadar, a small field on the Croation coast. Approach called an altimeter of “0992” (0992 mB) and the crew read back “altimeter 2992.” The helmet fire began to smolder and three times they asked “confirm altimeter 2992,” “affirmative, 992” was the reply. The difference comes out to 435’ low! Fortunately they realized the error when they crossed checked the radalt.

On the humorous side, I’ve heard: “Ciao bella” as the Napoli controller flirts w/ my female copilot on the handoff to Roma; “Navy531, whatever you want, it’s OK with us,” while doing practice approaches at Pescara; “NavyMS503, cotton, daw on da wonwaaay,” (…caution, dogs on the runway) from U’Tapaho tower, etc. Never actually heard this one, but the story goes a crew report “light rock activity” as they tooled around Mt. Etna VFR; yes they torn up the airplane…

My all-time favorite funny though was back as a new LT when I was flying with a senior LCDR. Waiting for 15+ min in the baking July sun on the ramp at Naples for start clearance to go home to Sig after 5 legs already. Ground finally calls us back and my aircraft commander starts shouting “YEAH, BRAVO, BRAVO, YEAH!” Being young and stupid, I hold the mic over and click the switch… An Alitalia guy comes up and asks “What the hell is going on?,” to which ground replies “Somebody must be drunk!” We laughed our behinds off the whole way home.

Keep it in perspective, just my 2 cents…

Dude, you're absolutely right!! Go down in the Carribbean and talk to San Juan center. If you don't say 'good morning', or 'good afternoon' at the beginning of the first transmission, they won't even talk to you.

Latest resources

Back