• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"..With You.."

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How about a little shift to all the professional comments from the controllers.

This is my favorite.

Calling Memphis Center Kansas City Center by accident.

The response.

This ain't Kansas City, This IS MEMPHIS.......Home of the KIIINNNGGGGGGG!!

AA

You guys are harsh. He probably could have started out with a IMHO, but the base message about proper phraseology is a valid point. Just look at how many people have responded with examples already. I agree that it makes for a nice day to be able to use other than standard phraseology to get our intentions known, but when the fur starts to fly, when everyone wants to deviate, when there is a stuck mic with twenty two of you on my freq. and we are sequencing for ATL, IAD, JFK, and EWR in the same sector, are we all going to rememeber to revert back to standard phraseology until we are out of the shi##er?

If I spun my chair around at the Center and said "you know guys, contact Boston Center on one three five testicle seven is not in the 7110.65 my fellow controllers would shred me in two seconds also.

BTW - mine.........November one two three sugar mike

Ethyl33 leaving nine for ten looking for higher

Sundevil said:
--------------------------------
My only pet peeve is "On the hold." I don't even know what that means. I know it loosely translates to "position and hold," but its just a jumble of words. Just say, "position and hold."
--------------------------------

I thought that the "on to hold" (not "on the hold") was weird too until I went to AF pilot training. That was only correct way to respond to a "taxi into position and hold" clearance in the T-37. I don't know where it came from originally, but my guess is that it has been spread throughout the civilian industry by the AF. The AF is where they learned to fly and that's how they learned.

The thing that ticks me off the most is when people use the word "Sugar" instead of "Sierra" for the S in their callsign. Talk about queer.
I'm with you dude. I was perplexed in T-37's when I would reply to ATC with "position and hold" only to be ridiculed by some oblivious IP for not responding with "on to hold." I can't stand that phrase and never use it. It can only lead to confusion when flying with crews of different backgrounds.

Hey zbwmy here's a Center question for you: a while back I read that you guys disliked SWA's "slow descents" and I didn't know what it meant, but later on freq I started to hear odd clearances, like SWA001 increase your rate of descent or SWA001 at least 1500 feet per minute.

What's that all about? Is SWA weird compared to other airlines?

I'd like to know why Captain7 listed his gripe under "Majors".
I guess it's OK for me as a Lear guy to tell ATC that I'm with them?
What's the big deal with what is said, so long as it is correct, lucid, and somewhat polite?

Captain4242 said:
I'd like to know why Captain7 listed his gripe under "Majors".
I guess it's OK for me as a Lear guy to tell ATC that I'm with them?

That's because everyone knows corporate pilots are undisciplined, non-standard cowboys... ;) TC

Latest resources

Back