• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"..With You.."

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Look this thread was 12 pages long, and I didn't read every one of them. So if someone beat me to the punch, then I'm sooooooo sooooorry. But I have to ask:

When cleared into position on a runway, is it not okay now to respond, "Pull it out and hold it!" :D

How about ringing the FAs... do we give, "One short ding and one long dong?"

I will agree that the use of "Wilco" can save a lot of unnecessary chatter on the radios. Especially when the controllers are busy.

Personally, I have way too much other things going on in my life to get wrapped around the axle over a lot of these things. Do I think standardization is important? Absolutely, but if I hear someone say "with you" on the radio halfway between BWI and PHX on the last leg of my trip, then I probably won't let it get to me. Once the airplane is at the gate, the next crew takes it, and I'm off the jetway, I have other priorities to attend to such as: taking my son swimming, having dinner with my family, and of utmost importance, some "quality time" with my wife once our son goes to bed!!! ;) Know what I mean?

All y'all keep on pissing and moaning about radio phraseology, relaxed standards, this, that, and the other thing... I'll be concentrating on that "quality time" with the Mrs.

atrdriver said:
How about "flight 100, 4500 climbing to 15,000". How else are you going to get to 15,000 from 4500 but by climbing? Go inverted and descend? Dive through the earth and pop out the other side? Just say "4500 for 15,000".

What you are recommending is what the AIM says but I do not like it. I use climbing/descending because unlike "to" of "for" they cannot be mistaken for a number. Also, if there is a broken transmission or for some reason the controller has trouble understanding me he has another clue as to who I am and wat I am doing. You can really understand why this might be important if you fly where the flight levels don't start at 180. "Airline 123 flightlevel 40 to 300" Now imagine part of your transmission is blocked, or the handoff was fumbled. I've seen a lot of confusion started just because "to" and "for" sound identical to 2 and 4. Just my $.02, but there is a reason I do it and don't expect me to change for you ATR driver :)

Latest resources

Back