Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yabba Dabba Doo!!!! LOL!

FN FAL said:
I think "yabba dabba doo" would suffice.

Or what about something like...

Geronimo?

Hot damm, here we go again!

Jesus, I thought for sure there was going to be a breathalyzer today!

Alah Akbar!

Go Wee hawks! (or whatever it was that Rodger at Chicago center used to say!"

Sporting Wood on 7 left!

I'm sorry, meant to say...

Sporting WOOD, "with you", on 7 left!

LOLOL!!

I was laughing so hard....... I think I just spotted!!

PCL_128 said:
I'm not completely sure, but I believe "on the hold" is military phraseology.

The Air Force had you respond with "On to hold"...that is what I think you are hearing.

--------------------------------
My only pet peeve is "On the hold." I don't even know what that means. I know it loosely translates to "position and hold," but its just a jumble of words. Just say, "position and hold."
--------------------------------

I thought that the "on to hold" (not "on the hold") was weird too until I went to AF pilot training. That was only correct way to respond to a "taxi into position and hold" clearance in the T-37. I don't know where it came from originally, but my guess is that it has been spread throughout the civilian industry by the AF. The AF is where they learned to fly and that's how they learned.

The thing that ticks me off the most is when people use the word "Sugar" instead of "Sierra" for the S in their callsign. Talk about queer.

Sundevil said:
I don't know where it came from originally, but my guess is that it has been spread throughout the civilian industry by the AF. The AF is where they learned to fly and that's how they learned.
QUOTE]
That's why the airlines should only hire military pilots; then we'd all be standardized. . . .

klhoard said:
Sundevil said:
I don't know where it came from originally, but my guess is that it has been spread throughout the civilian industry by the AF. The AF is where they learned to fly and that's how they learned.
QUOTE]
That's why the airlines should only hire military pilots; then we'd all be standardized. . . .

Here we go.....poop, meet fan.

What about hearing some of you airline guys on clearance saying "delta 105 instruments to Atlanta". I mean, How the He11 else are you going to go?

A/C CLT tower, PDT 3344 with you for the visual to 36L.

CLT Tower: Roger PDT3344, CONTINUE....

No, I'm going to wait right here until you clear me to land...

Captain 7 said:
It is very redundant and dumb to ever use the phrase "with you" in your radio transmission to an ATC controller. He certainly realizes that you are "with him" by the mere fact you are speaking to him! And while we're at it, lets drop the phrase "any chance" when requesting something. Just request it, it's not a bookie joint.

I love it! I fully agree with Captain 7 that there IS NO NEED to mention "with you". It is not in the pilot controller glossary. "Palm Beach approach, Arrow 12345 two thousand five hundred" is sufficient. That is it, short, concise, to the point.

I cringe when I hear "Daytona Departure, Cessna XXX with you on the missed out of Melbourne, heading 240 as assigned, leaving 800 for 2000". I think the reason for this is that the student is not understanding what is happening, does not have the full picture of radar, does not really know what is going on.

I say this because when I was a student, I used to say the exact same thing. I did not have a clue, was just told by my instructor to state my position, my heading, my altitude. Now that the tables are turned and I am an instructor, I have a bit more "insight", yet also make sure my students have that insight as well!

Funny story... yesterday I was flying with someone (with a heavy British accent) who told Miami that he was "with them at flight level two five hundred." I started laughing and he asked me what I was laughing about. I said, "there is no need to say 'with you' as they know you are there. "And since when are we at 250,000 feet?"

He defended his position. I tried to explain to no avail so I took a laid back attitude, and just told him he would find out soon enough.

Next call was "Arrow 123 maintain VFR at or above two thousand six hundred." I motioned with my hands 3 and 5 (meaning three thousand five hundred). Of course student is on top on the game and does not need any guidance from me.

He responds, Miami center, Arrow 123 requests flight level three five thousand".

I am laughing... Miami center "Arrow 123, I do not know what they do on your side of the pond, but our flight levels do not start until 18,000 feet! Maintain VFR at or above two thousand six hundred, altitude your discretion." did not need to say another word... my initial point was very well taken.

Last edited:
Sundevil said:
The thing that ticks me off the most is when people use the word "Sugar" instead of "Sierra" for the S in their callsign. Talk about queer.

There is a Bank that is headquartered in Kansas City that had their business jet based there. The aircraft N# ended in the bank initials "CB". The Pilot that flew for them always ended ATC calls with "Charlie Brown" versus the correct "Charlie Bravo".

Apparently the MKC tower had a controller that was really sick of it and one day in the late 90's, I was flying out of Kansas City Downtown (MKC), and this Pilot got reamed over the radio by the tower controller. This Pilot was so used to saying it that after a few minutes he would instinctively revert back to saying "Charlie Brown" out of habit.

The controller was so wrapped around the axel about this, and I thought the controller was going to just end it all and jump out of the tower cab.

We laughed our @sses off.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back