• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"..With You.."

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Hey zbwmy here's a Center question for you: a while back I read that you guys disliked SWA's "slow descents" and I didn't know what it meant, but later on freq I started to hear odd clearances, like SWA001 increase your rate of descent or SWA001 at least 1500 feet per minute.

What's that all about? Is SWA weird compared to other airlines?"
by Radarlove

We're trying to save gas. If we get a pilot discrection when already in a decent, we usually fly 1000 feet per minute til our top of decent. Instead of scream down and burn more lower. We're just staying higher as long as we can or as long as center can take it.

To go along with this thread, only in humor. My only pet peeve is when center calls out traffic and the response is "got'em on the fishfinder". This is from a guy that wishes he was on ESPN on Sunday's trying to catch the largest mouth
bass to win angler of the year.

radarlove said:
Hey zbwmy here's a Center question for you: a while back I read that you guys disliked SWA's "slow descents" and I didn't know what it meant, but later on freq I started to hear odd clearances, like SWA001 increase your rate of descent or SWA001 at least 1500 feet per minute.

What's that all about? Is SWA weird compared to other airlines?
They are not weird...that's just what happens when you accept CE-208 Turbine PIC time in your hiring mins.

No response? Because there is no need for any response or arguement. It is a fact that it is a redundant and silly phrase and nothing to debate about. Besides, the mission has been accomplished: I got you guys thinking about it, you'll mention it in passing to your cockpit crewmember when you hear it on the radio, you'll start feeling silly every time you say "with you" and eventually your fellow pilots won't have to hear the useless phrase quite as often.

N1kawotg said:
"Hey zbwmy here's a Center question for you: a while back I read that you guys disliked SWA's "slow descents" and I didn't know what it meant, but later on freq I started to hear odd clearances, like SWA001 increase your rate of descent or SWA001 at least 1500 feet per minute.

What's that all about? Is SWA weird compared to other airlines?"
by Radarlove

We're trying to save gas. If we get a pilot discrection when already in a decent, we usually fly 1000 feet per minute til our top of decent. Instead of scream down and burn more lower. We're just staying higher as long as we can or as long as center can take it.

To go along with this thread, only in humor. My only pet peeve is when center calls out traffic and the response is "got'em on the fishfinder". This is from a guy that wishes he was on ESPN on Sunday's trying to catch the largest mouth
bass to win angler of the year.

I have not noticed the slow decent by SWA. SWA climbs out like a raped ape for us and we love that.

Captain 7 said:
No response? Because there is no need for any response or arguement. It is a fact that it is a redundant and silly phrase and nothing to debate about. Besides, the mission has been accomplished: I got you guys thinking about it, you'll mention it in passing to your cockpit crewmember when you hear it on the radio, you'll start feeling silly every time you say "with you" and eventually your fellow pilots won't have to hear the useless phrase quite as often.

Actually, I'm going to say it every single time I check on now, specifically, just to pi$$ you off.

Go get laid man, or something. Better yet, head down to the Dollar General and buy yourself a life.

CapnVegetto said:
Actually, I'm going to say it every single time I check on now, specifically, just to pi$$ you off.

The problem is that you might not get into the ERAU practice areas or DAB traffic pattern that often. Otherwise he'll never hear you.

CapnVegetto said:

Won't matter as I'm fairly sure you were saying it anyway - that's why this thread aggravates you. It doesn't really pi$$ me off - I just always wondered why people bothered with it and find it humorous they bother with such a useless phrase and waste of airtime.

Captain 7 said:
Won't matter as I'm fairly sure you were saying it anyway - that's why this thread aggravates you. It doesn't really pi$$ me off - I just always wondered why people bothered with it and find it humorous they bother with such a useless phrase and waste of airtime.

OK, I just noticed your join date and posts, apparently I took the bait again!!! Dammit.

Latest resources

Back