• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will SWA and AT truly merge?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Again, depends on the language in the PWA's of both airlines. I'll bet that the language in the AAI TA will be binding on SWA regardless. I'll bet that the AAI negotiators, covered these possibilities in their TA. If I were an AAI pilot it would certainly be a question I would be asking my reps at this time.

Just curious what is a PWA?

FDJ2, why do you think SWA has anything to do with the Guadalupe purchase of AAI? They are separate corps. It is not a merger until SWA buys AAI, when GH buys AAI it just changes who owns AirTran Holdings.

My favorite thing about FDJ2 is that just because he has been through a merger, he seems to think he knows everything about every merger/acquisition scenario that ever will happen, including this one. That's like saying just because I've been through a thunderstorm, I know everything about every weather phenomena that will ever happen. I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Just my two cents.

Fraternally,
PapaW

I certainly don't know everything about every merger, but I did know enough to recognize that the stunt attempted with Frontier had no basis in law and I do know that the folks pontificating that the nature of the transaction is somewhat relevant (who acquired who) to an SLI are just plain ignorant. I also know that the AAI pilots have good representation and access to more experience on mergers and acquisitions than most could ever shake a stick at and that the AAI pilots just recently concluded a TA, which I would presume, don't know because I haven't read it, would protect their rights to a fair and equitable seniority integration, with or without Guadaloupe. But you keep on believing whatever get's you through the night.

Last edited:
FDJ2, why do you think SWA has anything to do with the Guadalupe purchase of AAI? They are separate corps. It is not a merger until SWA buys AAI, when GH buys AAI it just changes who owns AirTran Holdings.

First Post from Plane Biz

The merging companies are AirTran and Guadalupe Holdings Corp., a Nevada corporation and wholly owned subsidiary of Southwest Airlines. Guadalupe will be merged into AirTran, which will then become a wholly owned subsidiary of Southwest Airlines.

You're right it's not a merger until they operate under the same certificate.

Delta had to make NWA a wholly owned subsidiary between the date of corporate closure and single operating certificate. DAL was also obligated to integrate the two pilot groups due to the language in the collective bargaining agreements. Common language in most mainline ALPA contracts.

As an ALPA pilot group, the Airtran Pilots I would assume, again I haven't read their TA, have negotiated the appropriate protections.

It seems to me, FDJ2, that since the AAI TA was completed after the Date of Constructive Notice (Sep 27) that it will not have any bearing whatsoever on the proceedings. I could be wrong, but don't think I am. So, the only merger/acquisition provisions that will come into play on their side are the ones in their current CBA. I would have thought that such a savvy meteorologist as yourself would have known that.

Fraternally,
PapaW

I was just thinking the same thing as Pappa. That would be like SWAPA making an addendum to their contract that would benefit SWA pilots. September 27th is the day that the earth stood still. At least the small earth that pertains to SWA and AT.

The only leg up that SWAPA has is that they can release the company from some of the binding provisions in the contract. i.e. time restrictions.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back