• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will SWA and AT truly merge?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I found this on AIRLINE BIZ blog. Its pretty interesting.

• The merging companies are AirTran and Guadalupe Holdings Corp., a Nevada corporation and wholly owned subsidiary of Southwest Airlines. Guadalupe will be merged into AirTran, which will then become a wholly owned subsidiary of Southwest Airlines.

• After the merger closes, AirTran will be merged into a new limited liability company set up as a Texas company, LLC Sub, which will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Southwest.

I think Southwest will control Airtran as a wholly owned subsidiary and will mold them into a Southwest operational model. If the model becomes more profitable, over time, Airtran's 717s will be refleeted with the 737-800 to simplify operations and gain additional cost efficiencies. If the model is profitable, and refleeting is completed, then and only then would the Airtran operation be merged into Southwest.

I'm curious what impact this could have on SLI, or if it's even required for that matter.

When DAL purchased NWA, NWA became a wholly owned subsidiary of DAL until a single operating certificate was achieved.

I will bet that SWA does not care much about your contract.

I'll bet that SWA does care about the AAI PWA, since they'll have to honor it.

Wonder what the Affiliates and Successors language says on the AAI TA.

Last edited:
SWAPA's contract could force the merger. AI's wont. You are being PURCHASED. A labor contract can not force a aquiring company to merge them with another company they own. You could be operated as a wholly owned subsidiary till the cows come home. As long as SWA operates you as Airtran your still Airtran. Unless SWAPA enacts it 24 month maximum fence clause of course.

Congratulations, you know far less than you realize and now we all know it.:rolleyes:

According to an article in Bloomberg, Guadalupe Holdings was created specifically for this acquisition (named after the room where meetings were held). GH will then be merged with AirTran, leaving AT as a wholly owned subsidiary of SWA. This raises the following questions: why was GH created? Was GH created to facilitate this acquisition? After all, this looks like it is not a merger. Thoughts?

Because SWA's can't operationally merge the two airlines until such time as they have a single operationg certificate. Just my guess.

My favorite thing about FDJ2 is that just because he has been through a merger, he seems to think he knows everything about every merger/acquisition scenario that ever will happen, including this one. That's like saying just because I've been through a thunderstorm, I know everything about every weather phenomena that will ever happen. I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Just my two cents.

Fraternally,
PapaW

GH will be the responsible party not SWA.

Again, depends on the language in the PWA's of both airlines. I'll bet that the language in the AAI TA will be binding on SWA regardless. I'll bet that the AAI negotiators, covered these possibilities in their TA. If I were an AAI pilot it would certainly be a question I would be asking my reps at this time.

No one on this thread know all the laws that will pertain to this integration of seniority lists. Seniority issues also exist for other work groups like the Flight Attendants which will have some effect on the pilots and vica versa.

The point that was wise to present is that there is the impression that AT pilots want arbitration which means they already feel that they will benefit more from that than a workable solution with SWA pilots. If that is the case then we can assume that AT pilots will open with relative seniority as their idea of fair which is unreasonable. SWA should then start off the process with a staple to the bottom which is also unreasonable. Then let arbitration meet in the middle where SWA pilots will experience large relative seniority gains. DOH is the only fair integration in this type of merging of senioritys.

To under estimate the power that SWA has over AT with this acquisition is not being prepared to obtain what is best for you and your family. Don't think for a moment that SWA would not challenge any employees contract in court that could last for many years. Don't underestimate that SWA could slowly dismantle AT while growing their airline organically. There are absolutely no laws that keep them from doing just that.

As much as low amount of posts makes some labeled as trolls, once again it is only because the honest message does not agree with what you think or hope for.

The message I am sharing is you better think about this with a clear mind of the potentials, or you could find yourself further falling down the food chain.

SWA has been, and will be, the 800 lb gorilla in this bewildering industry.

AAAHHHHH!!! All of your logical thinking and sound reasoning make my ears hurt! Make it stop!! I want wild predictions from pilots with zero business experience. Guys who equate flying an airplane with running a company of any size. And armchair lawyers who "saw something on the web". Oh and McCaskill - Bond experts who were able to squeeze all 3 years of law school in since Sept. 27th. And let's not forget the guys who are "certain" they KNOW what each possible arbitrator will come up with and in some cases what any and all federal judges will decree!!! This is no place for rational thought Sy-Bill!!!!

Latest resources

Back