• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will NWA and the Mechs agree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Roger. You have to wonder if the FAs do decide as a group to walk, how many will still go to work. No question this has the potential to absolutely cripple the airline. I know from experience when there is a disruption in service, most consumers don't care who is wrong or right, they are POed regardless.

WorkinStiff,

The union won't give and inch? What about the management team?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
This is ridiculous, it was just reported in the MSP paper that the top 4 executives just got a bonus of about $1.something million in stock options. Granted, the stock isn't worth much but it could be if things work out.

Also, there are other variables at work here too. Teamsters just announced that they will honor the picket line. So UPS and other teamsters will not be throwing any Cargo business or other business to NWA. That will hurt them.

Lastly, NWA pissed off the only union they had on their side. The pilots union was encouraging all unions to do their share of cuts. So what does NWA do to thank them for their support? They go and use Champion Air to fly NWA passengers on NWA routes, a clear violation of ALPA's NWA's contract (I believe that is in regards to scope). So now the pilots are thinking a little more about sympathy and not crossing the picket line.

Steeland is getting some bad advice from somewhere, but that's typical. I have lived here in MSP for almost all my life and NWA has never, ever had a good working relationship with its employees.

Oh, by the way. I don't work for NWA. So I don't have an ax to grind. I just think it is terrible how they treat their employees and the traveling public for that matter.

To answer the first question. I don't think there will be a settlement. There is just too much bad blood on both sides of the table.

skykid said:
Roger. You have to wonder if the FAs do decide as a group to walk, how many will still go to work. No question this has the potential to absolutely cripple the airline. I know from experience when there is a disruption in service, most consumers don't care who is wrong or right, they are POed regardless.

My family has had the "come to Jesus" discussion over this. We've decided what’s right is right and what’s wrong is wrong. My wife is going to vote her conscience. If NWA goes into the history books, so be it.

Did you ever think they WANT these guys to strike, so they have a reason to declare bankruptcy? The unions are just like pawns in managements hands right now...

~wheelsup

Dizel8 said:
My opinion is yes. I think the Mechanics union will reach a last minute agreement, that is "sorry that some of you lose your job", but it is "the best we could achieve under the circumstances".

What say you all?

My guess is they will strike. The FA's will strike as well....only to be ordered back to work by some judge minutes after they walk until a "full hearing" can be heard by the court. The pilots will come up with some lame excuse for crossing the picket line. At this point....NWA management will file for CH11 and gut what is left of the CBA's. NWA pilots will scream and yell all the way, but never bite the bullet and walk. FA's will strike again only to be ordered back to work....again.....by the BK judge. When its all over....it will look like United but only 1/3 the size. Pinnacle will grow like a weed during all this only to be later replaced by Mesa or some alter ego airline.

Bottom line......one big sh!t sandwich.

WillowRunVortex said:
Inform your step-mother of this:

"First and foremost, our Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) contains no provision which expressly prohibits Flight Attendants from supporting our fellow employees by engaging in a work stoppage, with the exception of Letter of Agreement 2 which requires the continuation of military flights in the event of a labor dispute. PFAA and its legal counsel firmly believe that, contrary to company statements to the media and in employee communications, the Flight Attendants do have a legal right, both under our contract and Federal law, to honor another Unions picket line."

Well, all I have to say is that with management's track record, they will hold to their word and send those FA's packin' that don't show up for work. They obviously don't care about CBA's as evident by this week's Champion flying. They'll fire some FA's over this deal and worry about it later in the grievence process. So, its really gonna put the FA's in a bad spot if they are told from PFAA to not to go work, and then they are informed by NW that they are no longer employed.

Workin'Stiff said:
Well, all I have to say is that with management's track record, they will hold to their word and send those FA's packin' that don't show up for work. They obviously don't care about CBA's as evident by this week's Champion flying. They'll fire some FA's over this deal and worry about it later in the grievence process. So, its really gonna put the FA's in a bad spot if they are told from PFAA to not to go work, and then they are informed by NW that they are no longer employed.

The PFAA membership is solid,,,management cannot send them all "packing". They have 1200 replacements trained. It takes 10,000 to run the airline. Your tone is typical NWA ALPA. Look where their "cooperation" with management got them.

schafjet said:
WorkinStiff,

The union won't give and inch? What about the management team?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
This is ridiculous, it was just reported in the MSP paper that the top 4 executives just got a bonus of about $1.something million in stock options. Granted, the stock isn't worth much but it could be if things work out.

Also, there are other variables at work here too. Teamsters just announced that they will honor the picket line. So UPS and other teamsters will not be throwing any Cargo business or other business to NWA. That will hurt them.

Lastly, NWA pissed off the only union they had on their side. The pilots union was encouraging all unions to do their share of cuts. So what does NWA do to thank them for their support? They go and use Champion Air to fly NWA passengers on NWA routes, a clear violation of ALPA's NWA's contract (I believe that is in regards to scope). So now the pilots are thinking a little more about sympathy and not crossing the picket line.

Steeland is getting some bad advice from somewhere, but that's typical. I have lived here in MSP for almost all my life and NWA has never, ever had a good working relationship with its employees.

Oh, by the way. I don't work for NWA. So I don't have an ax to grind. I just think it is terrible how they treat their employees and the traveling public for that matter.

To answer the first question. I don't think there will be a settlement. There is just too much bad blood on both sides of the table.

I totally agree with you. It's really a bad deal. And yes, both side are to the point where its even fruitless to talk. Management won't budge from the $176m in savings from AMFA and I just read in the WSJ yesterday that the president of AMFA is standing firmly on the thought that NW mech's should be getting paid $100k. Now, there is just too much of a span there for even the most optimistic person to believe that middle-ground can be found.

WillowRunVortex said:
The PFAA membership is solid,,,management cannot send them all "packing". They have 1200 replacements trained. It takes 10,000 to run the airline. Your tone is typical NWA ALPA. Look where their "cooperation" with management got them.

I just happen to be alittle more of a realist. That's all. And frankly, from my perspective, I don't see the PFAA membership as solid as you might. I know that the 1200 replacements cannot run the airline. However, it's also unrealistic to think that every single one of the card-holding FA's will walk. How many will cross?? I have no idea. Mangement knows this, hence the reason for the scare tactic thats being placed on the phone and in the mailboxes. Maybe their goal is to incite as many as possible to cross that line if need be...

Workin'Stiff said:
Management won't budge from the $176m in savings from AMFA and I just read in the WSJ yesterday that the president of AMFA is standing firmly on the thought that NW mech's should be getting paid $100k. Now, there is just too much of a span there for even the most optimistic person to believe that middle-ground can be found.

Workin, I just want to clarify with you the fact that NWA management wants a 53% permanent reduction in mechanics ranks. You sound as if both parties are being unreasonable. The only choice (as of now) for the mech's is a yes or no for the elimination of more than half their work force! How could anyone vote yes to this?

Explain...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back