• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Will NWA and the Mechs agree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, both parties are being unreasonable. Yes, it is outrageous that management wants/needs to cut 53% of the AMFA workforce. And yes, it is outrageous that AMFA believes that mechanics should be paid $100K. There are many sides to an argument.

I don't envy the decisions that both the mechanics and managment have to make. Mechanics are potentially deciding on their employment future. Managment is deciding on the employment future of roughly 40,000 employees worldwide. There are a lot of issues on both parties shoulders; all making those decisions they have to make all that more difficult.

Workin'Stiff said:
Yes, both parties are being unreasonable. Yes, it is outrageous that management wants/needs to cut 53% of the AMFA workforce. And yes, it is outrageous that AMFA believes that mechanics should be paid $100K. There are many sides to an argument.

You are mixing apples and oranges. It is irrelevant what one "thinks" an NWA mechanic should be paid. The AMFA's OFFICIAL position in the negotiations is $143 million in concessions. This is not unreasonable. This is only 36 million from what NWA management wants but wont BUDGE on. 36 million (per year) relatively speaking, is the difference from everyone taxiing on 2 engines instead of one. A DAY! I can already see that the problem at NWA is the employees dont know/have the facts.

Last edited:
Workin'Stiff

I don't know where you got 100k, I think you said the WSJ. However, I think the mechanics are saying they "should" be payed 100k. They are in fact putting a concessionary contract on the table and not "asking" for 100k. So, they are not trying to negotiate for 100k. I think I "should" make what a pro ball player makes, but I'm not getting that and my union is not negotiating that either. What you want and what you get are two different things. You get what you negotiate, not what you want. Big difference.

You know what, you're right, you always will be right. I'm going to find something alittle more productive to do with my day than bicker with you.

WillowRunVortex said:
I can already see that the problem at NWA is the employees dont know/have the facts.

But this is where you're wrong. I'm with Mesaba.

Workin'Stiff

It's okay, we know what you meant ;) Thanks for correcting yourself. It takes a big person to do that, espescially on this forum.

schafjet said:
Workin'Stiff

It's okay, we know what you meant ;) Thanks for correcting yourself. It takes a big person to do that, espescially on this forum.

Yeah thanks workin,

I know I sound worked up, I apologize too. I am worked up. I think everyone is very frustrated with NWA management right now, and it shows.

I posted this once but didn't get an answer.....

Is NWA contractually prohibited from just fuloughing mechanics?

If not, why doesn't the company just start doing that. I find it hard to believe that manangement HAS to have both...meaning both pay cuts and 2000 layoffs...

what's going on that I'm missing?

ultrarunner said:
I posted this once but didn't get an answer.....

Is NWA contractually prohibited from just fuloughing mechanics?

If not, why doesn't the company just start doing that. I find it hard to believe that manangement HAS to have both...meaning both pay cuts and 2000 layoffs...

what's going on that I'm missing?

Because they are at their minimum staffing levels now. They want to fire 53% of the AMFA mech's and outsource that level to third party vendors at cheaper rates.

Also,

In reality they want to do away with the AMFA period. That is why they will not budge.

Thirdly it is their quickest way into BK if the AMFA strikes. This is what management wants so it can quickly take care of the PFAA,,,and eventually go back to the pilots and rape them.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back