Will NWA and the Mechs agree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WillowRunVortex said:
Thirdly it is their quickest way into BK if the AMFA strikes. This is what management wants so it can quickly take care of the PFAA,,,and eventually go back to the pilots and rape them.
BINGO!!

Personally, I'm betting that the only reason NW backed off on the Champion flights today is because the pilots union was probably saying that they'd sympathy strike with the mechanics if the company was going to so blatantly disregard the pilot contract and NWA management doesn't want a complete work stoppage, just enough of a slow-down and "apparent" loss from cancelled flights to legitimately enter Ch. 11.

Will they strike? Yup. Will the F/A's go with them? Maybe. Will the airline shut down? Nope. But my money is on a Ch. 11 filing before the end of the month no matter what happens.

And yes, it is outrageous that AMFA believes that mechanics should be paid $100K. There are many sides to an argument.[/QUOTE]

Why cant a mechanic make 100k or 150k they go to school they are just as important as a pilot. All unions should stand by each other or you will be doing it in the unemployment line

Last edited:
Management playbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowRunVortex
Thirdly it is their quickest way into BK if the AMFA strikes. This is what management wants so it can quickly take care of the PFAA,,,and eventually go back to the pilots and rape them.

I agree with the above, but think NWA will take it to the edge to get concessions, threatening BK. After concessions are given, then declare BK and get more concessions. I have always admired the union solidarity at NWA, but I think all of them are going to be put to the test in the next few months.

Good luck!

Let's not forget the ploitical influence NWA mgmt has as well. Elaine Chao (Labor Secretary) was an NWA board member until her nomination, and is married to (R) Senator Mitch McConnell. W has previously shot off his mouth about how "there will be no airline strikes under my watch". Steenland (like Richard Anderson before him) is a Lorenzo alumni. Lorenzo is a Bush family friend and fellow Harvard business school grad.........

castle bravo said:
Let's not forget the ploitical influence NWA mgmt has... W has previously shot off his mouth about how "there will be no airline strikes under my watch".

Then what's got everyone panties in a wad?

W will invoke the PEB and that'll be the end of any job action.

NWA wrench turners know this. It's all just BS smoke and mirrors.

There won't be a strike.

Willow,

Both mechs and flight attendants had their chance to negotiate. They decided to stand their ground, now they are getting is shoved up their .... I believe they want to bust AMFA and lockout the mechanics. Management doesn't believe the flight attendants will honor the strike (I don't think a large percentage will either). They are threatening the current flight attendants by making them train their replacements. Now that is hard core. In my opinion, they should have tried harder to negotiate in the first place. NWA is competing with the likes of Jetblue and United (bankrupt for 2+ years). While cuts are tough, it is better than the outcome they are probably facing now.

The pilots decided to take a "small pay cut" and give up some work rules. NWA can't come back to them until the other unions sign concessionary contracts. They also tried to get AMFA to negotiate and was told to mind their own business. I don't think the pilots will honor the strike. After they finish with the PFAA and AMFA they will come back to the pilots. Most likely a Chap 11 filing before Oct 17 so they can give the execs the bonuses that Steenland thinks they deserve. Not a pretty picture...

I guess we all have our ideas, but the next week should be interesting to say the least.

furloughed dude said:
Willow,

Both mechs and flight attendants had their chance to negotiate. They decided to stand their ground, now they are getting is shoved up their .... .

First, The current offer to AMFA is NWA's opening offer. This does not fit the definition of "negotiations".

Second, The PFAA isnt "in" negotiations yet. They are next after AMFA. They are currently voting on a sympathy strike for AMFA. What ever happens with AMFA, all this will happen again with PFAA after AMFA. K?

Third, spoken like true NWA ALPA. They are gonna get their's in BK when management strips all CBA's. Not very long-viewed is NWA ALPA these days.

I am not saying it will be pretty for anyone. Steenland is out to bust AMFA and will do the same to the PFAA if they don't participate. This guy is Lorenzo wanna be. I hope NWA gives AMFA an "acceptable" proposal, but I don't think it will happen.

furloughed dude said:
I am not saying it will be pretty for anyone. Steenland is out to bust AMFA and will do the same to the PFAA if they don't participate. This guy is Lorenzo wanna be..

It took NWA 2 months to train 1200 scumbag scab FA's. If all 10,590 NWA FA's would hold hands, and walk in lock-step they could demand the moon and get it or kill the airline. That simple. If there are any FA's on here or friends of NWA FA's, remind them of this fact.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back