Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dizel8

Douglas metal
My opinion is yes. I think the Mechanics union will reach a last minute agreement, that is "sorry that some of you lose your job", but it is "the best we could achieve under the circumstances".

What say you all?

Dizel8 said:
My opinion is yes. I think the Mechanics union will reach a last minute agreement, that is "sorry that some of you lose your job", but it is "the best we could achieve under the circumstances".

What say you all?
Not a chance.

I'm with TonyC... This union will not move an inch. This will just be the precurser to NW headin' through doors at bankruptcy court.

Dizel8 said:

What say you all?

Only one problem with that: they won't be saying "sorry that some of you lose your job" to their members, they will be saying it to themselves. The entire leadership structure of NWA AMFA is in the group of proposed furloughs in the bottom half of the list. It's a huge conflict of interest, but it's just the way it is. The AMFA leadership is just not going to sign off an agreement that elliminates their own jobs. I don't see any way that a deal can be reached here. That being said, I don't think there should be much of a disruption as long as the FAs don't sympathy strike. Most of the Mech line-maintenance positions in the hubs can be filled with SCABs they've been training for months, and the outstation and heavy maintenance can contracted out fairly easily. NWA management has gamed this out rather well. The only wild card is the FAs. If they sympathy strike, then all bets are off as to what happens to NWA.

The head of the MSP LEC council is one of the guys who will lose his job. I had read that over half of the mechanics were due to lose their jobs. That just doesn't sound good.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I was told by my step-mother, who is a NW flight attendant, that she recieved a phone call from the FA manager. She was informed that if she did not show up for work during the mech's work stoppage, this would be viewed as a sympathy strike and she would be fired. This phone call, and I now hear a letter, was going out to all FA's...

Workin'Stiff said:
I was told by my step-mother, who is a NW flight attendant, that she recieved a phone call from the FA manager. She was informed that if she did not show up for work during the mech's work stoppage, this would be viewed as a sympathy strike and she would be fired. This phone call, and I now hear a letter, was going out to all FA's...

Inform your step-mother of this:

"First and foremost, our Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) contains no provision which expressly prohibits Flight Attendants from supporting our fellow employees by engaging in a work stoppage, with the exception of Letter of Agreement 2 which requires the continuation of military flights in the event of a labor dispute. PFAA and its legal counsel firmly believe that, contrary to company statements to the media and in employee communications, the Flight Attendants do have a legal right, both under our contract and Federal law, to honor another Unions picket line."

Last edited:
Maybe we can get a repeat of the situation that happened at another airline in the 80s. 500 and something pilots were trained as replacements. When the big day came almost to a man they didn't go thru with it - Checkmate.

I have heard NWA mgt has FA replacements in the wings as well. If there is a strike and Northwest goes on anywhere close to business as usual, we have seen the knockout blow to airline unions. Should be interesting.

I have lots of Northwest pilot buddies and I wish them the best.

skykid said:
Maybe we can get a repeat of the situation that happened at another airline in the 80s. 500 and something pilots were trained as replacements. When the big day came almost to a man they didn't go thru with it - Checkmate.

I have heard NWA mgt has FA replacements in the wings as well. If there is a strike and Northwest goes on anywhere close to business as usual, we have seen the knockout blow to airline unions. Should be interesting.

I have lots of Northwest pilot buddies and I wish them the best.

NWA has 1200 replacement FA's trained. There are over 10,000 active flight attendants. Now I wasnt a math major, but if this were a street fight I know which "gang's" side I would be on. The PFAA is voting now, and can vote up til one minute before the AMFA strike dead-line.

Last edited:
skykid said:

QUOTE]

Yes, that group was UNITED!!!! 570!!!!

Latest resources

Back