Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WHY WHY WHY..why R we hiring 210 hr pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why are we hiring 210 hour pilots?

Because there is a ready supply of these people and they are willing to work for what the small airlines will pay.

msuspartans24 said:
So a guy with 800 hours in a 172 is more qualified than the guy with 200 hours in the same type of airplane?

Yes

All the experienced pilots on furlough in this industry, yet look at the experience level of the guy that was in the right seat of the Pinnacle CRJ that went down in Missouri. I had a discussion with an MBA neighbor (that doesn't know much about our industry) after he read the WSJ article about the accident. He asked about the possibility of me going back to flying the small jets that he has flown on if I lost my current job. I asked him if he would move or commute several hundred miles for a 17K a year job. After I explained how all this works, he just couldn't believe it. But he came away with much more insight into the article he read. Sad.

AMCKLC said:
I have not heard from any of the 200hr guys. I am self being a 200 hr that works at ASA/Skywest. ( I just broke 500hrs last month) I must admit that it has been a real challenge. I have made mistakes. I still get caught on the low end of the power curve sometimes during 20+ kt X-wind landing. What else does anyone want to know?

And they hire these guys over 1200 hour guys because they paid up?!?!? W....T.......F?????????? Sorry bud but guys like you are whats driving the pay down out there. Why would an airline want to pay someone when they can get someone to pay them for the same training? The thing you guys that paid your money forget is that no amount of money can buy experience or judgement. You only get that with time in the seat.

So you pay someone $15,000 a year and are shocked that you can't get top notch 10,000 hour candidates. Don't worry I'm guessing some old Delta mainline guys will be available in a couple of months. Maybe then you can start a thread about hiring old, washed up, crusty, slam click, pilots.

210 hour pilots don't see anything wrong with flying in the right seat of a 50 seat jet and making $20,000. It simply brings the entire industry down, one person at a time.

Just my .02

$20K year for an entry level job that does not require a college degree is a great start. Trouble is too many pilots have gone to college and feel 20K per year to start is not up to what their classmates are making. 10 years later most will be in the $100K range. That is not bad with 12-15 days off per month.

I understand that going to a $20,000 a year job after flight instructing seems great and that one could possibly be making 100K in ten years, but $20,000 for a 50 seat SIC. That is terrible.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back