Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WHY WHY WHY..why R we hiring 210 hr pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mayoplane said:
I know it's a repeated thread. I don't want to offend anybody. This is not a flame bait. I just don't get it and I am almost feeling depressed. Why are we hiring people with 215 hours? I don't care who you are, you can only do so much with 215 hours of experience. I don't care if it was the greatest flight school. I don't care if you have a type rating. Why do regionals hire people with so little hours? Someone help me understand this. Are we ready to fly with a person who has 215 total hours in the middle of winter in the mid west? ERI? LGA? DCA? ?? If you have, how was that? Is it really safe? really? I think it's extremely unsafe. This is nothing personal towards people with that kind of hours, but I certainly feel that if you are that person, you don't belong in the right seat of an RJ. I am sorry.

-what regionals are hiring people with just over 200 hours? Why????? I just can't comprehend.

You can only hire the people who are applying. Maybe the airline is having trouble attracking "qualified" candidates. My airline is.

That aside, I do not accept that pilots are "unqualified" merely because they are low time.

Why is 20K/yr it so bad?, it is an entry level position. After doing it for about 18 months you have a 1000 hrs of 121 TJ MEL SIC time and you can almost immediately double your pay by moving to the cargo side of the business.

pilotyip said:
Why is 20K/yr it so bad?, it is an entry level position. After doing it for about 18 months you have a 1000 hrs of 121 TJ MEL SIC time and you can almost immediately double your pay by moving to the cargo side of the business.

And turn in your uniform for Dickie's pants and Dickie's boots, cause that is the only clothing that has an even remote chance of lasting with the amount of work you will experience. Also, your pay will increase but the amount of sleep will be cut in half. Prepare to have a dispatcher tell you that your going to pick up a near max load of freight at an airport you have never heard of before. Knowing how to operate a fork lift comes in handy on these trips at 03:00. And forget that shiny terminal with the jetways and the occasional good-looking flight attendant (I know I'll get flak from the old timers about "good looking" flight attendants, but they are out there). Say hello to an aluminum latter to climb into the jet and "fred" the truck driver who is 4 hours late with your freight.

Edit 1: And when was the last time you regional guys sat in a hotel on the Mexican border with absolutely no clue when you would get back to your base?

Welcome to the wonderful world of on demand cargo if you so choose.

Last edited:
pilotyip said:
$20K year for an entry level job that does not require a college degree is a great start. Trouble is too many pilots have gone to college and feel 20K per year to start is not up to what their classmates are making. 10 years later most will be in the $100K range. That is not bad with 12-15 days off per month.

Are you high or just very misinformed?!?

Most of the 10 year pilots at the large regional I work for aren't anywhere near $100k. If you are assuming that just because you have been in the industry for 10+ years you are at a major or making the top of the payscale, you are dead wrong.

Pre-9/11, most would have gone on to majors and they would probably be making that much. Not now though. The freaking upgrade at many large regionals is about 5 years.

You need to check your math.

pilotyip said:

An entry level position that required serious time and $$$$$$$$$$ to get. So why be so happy with $20K? Probably spent more to get all licenses and ratings.

Salty Pirate said:
The only thing that I've noticed to be consistant with the low timer threads is the only ones that make the argument that a 200 hrs guy is ready, is the 200 hrs guy. How the hell do know if you are ready of not. Every captain, unless of course they started at a regional with 200 hrs knows all to well that you guys can't find your a$$ with both hands in the dark. The 200 hrs dudes defend their position out of the insecurity they feel because they only have 200 freaking hours. Grow up, quit trying to cut corners, and get off mommy's nipple some where else other than the 121 environment------freaking tools. You sound like whiney a$$ luke crying to yoda, I'm ready,----I really am waaahhhhhhhhhhhh. Thats why you clowns are all willing to work for free, or pay for training because deep
down inside you know your skills are in the toilet.

I know I can't type or spell so don't use that as a defense to this thread. That is another low timer trick. Pick apart the spelling and grammar because you have no other rebuttal.

Where are all these 200 hour posts? Looks like 95% of the posts are from 2000+ hr pilots.... It wasn't even originated by a low-time pilot.

So... where are all these whinny "200 freaking hour" pilots? I have 400 hrs and happy as pig in poop flying the right seat of an old Cessna while I finish my bachelor's degree.

When I complete my Bachelor's degree, in a couple of years, if someone offers me a job flying a jet you can rest assured that I will turn it down because I still have more instructing left to do.... Yeah right! Who in their right mind would? If you were offered a job at UAL back when you had 200 hrs, would you say, "naw, I better not, I don't want to become a hinderance to Captain so and so." Of course you wouldn't!! Isn't everyone out here (including yourself) always looking for something bigger and better?

That's just the reality of it, IMO.

Engine Thunder all the more reason not to spend your money on a college flight program. Much cheaper to do it at a Part 61 or 141 flight school in a quick program.

WillowRunVortex said:
And turn in your uniform for Dickie's pants and Dickie's boots, cause that is the only clothing that has an even remote chance of lasting with the amount of work you will experience. Also, your pay will increase but the amount of sleep will be cut in half. Prepare to have a dispatcher tell you that your going to pick up a near max load of freight at an airport you have never heard of before. Knowing how to operate a fork lift comes in handy on these trips at 03:00. And forget that shiny terminal with the jetways and the occasional good-looking flight attendant (I know I'll get flak from the old timers about "good looking" flight attendants, but they are out there). Say hello to an aluminum latter to climb into the jet and "fred" the truck driver who is 4 hours late with your freight.

Edit 1: And when was the last time you regional guys sat in a hotel on the Mexican border with absolutely no clue when you would get back to your base?

Welcome to the wonderful world of on demand cargo if you so choose.
Depends on who you fly freight for.

pilotyip said:

It's great......right out of high school.

Latest resources

Back