Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

WHY WHY WHY..why R we hiring 210 hr pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This issue of pilot training/experience vs suitability for airline hiring is interesting and important. It has come up several times and is worth "discussing". The original comment launching this thread related to airline hiring and, as that's the only experience I have, I'll try confining myself to that. 100% of my career is behind me...0% ahead so maybe I can give a look-back perspective. If my opinion isn't to your liking, at least you didn't spend much getting it so, no sweat. Nothing personal from my end.

This is an issue where it seems hard to have a rational, non-judgemental discussion based on calm assessment rather than histrionics. When you see comments about adding extra fuel due to a low-time FO, not putting one's family on board, incapacitated captain, or detailing a list of errors made by a lowtimer, you might be up against a mindset precluding any meaningful debate. I'll try to avoid as much of that as possible as the debate is worth the effort.

With the above said, two overall things come to mind. The first is unrelated to the issue of suitability for hiring, but I can't help myself. I'd guess most carriers would prefer hiring the 2000hr pilot ? If they're hiring 200hr people, perhaps the supply of willing 2000hr guys is below the demand to fill cockpit seats ? Pilots don't set hiring policy and don't affect the situation beyond just refusing to be an applicant in the first place. Perhaps what's happened is the 2000hr guys got better deals leaving the jobs open for the 200 hr guys. The seats WILL be filled, with the only variable being by whom. It's unlikely there's a shortage of 2000+hr pilots. Just a thought, and definitely an aside, making NO effort to address the quality of the job itself. That's another issue.

Second is the meat of it all. I've noticed a couple of people with high avatar flight time (>10,000) who don't seem to have a problem with lowtimers and I'm getting ready to agree.

Learning any complicated task is a matter of a willing, apt student and an experienced, dedicated, knowledgeable instructor tied together by a thorough, properly-administered syllabus demanding a high level of demonstrated performance from both. This same thing applies to both a training program AND life on the line after training. You can find this at work in the military ( the Gold Standard ) and many civilian organizations.

The training world, with its inherent limitations, we all understand. Post training world is the organization for whom one flies and the part at issue here. The student becomes a FO, the instructor is now the captain ( yes, that's part of your job, mentoring the next generation of captains whether you, or they, like it or not ), and the syllabus is the company flt ops dept with all its policy, procedure, and demand for proper conduct/judgement/performance/accountability from everyone. This last part is the foundation of practically everything else.

So, I see no reason why a lowtimer, properly trained, operating in an environment of a professional dept, working with experienced, knowledgeable captains, willing to share their experience/teach by example(if nothing else), can't be just fine in an airline job. One learns to be the captain by being the FO; sorry, that's just the way it is. If one entered indoc feeling he had all he needed and was just there to fill in a few details, that's the guy I'd worry about regardless of his experience. Can't upgrade lowtimers fast enough ? That's not your problem; the suits will deal with that. The issue is the suitability of a lowtimer to function within the system. Will he make mistakes ? You bet...you did and so did I; using that as a reason to pronounce a pilot unsuitable just won't fly.

Regardless, since everyone gets experience one hour at a time, the issue becomes where, under what circumstances, and with what result. Nobody is born knowing this stuff; it's learned, with the idea being to avoid paying too dear a price for the knowledge. The lowtimer, under the right conditions, can be very well suited to step into airline flying. This has been proven for decades by a number of established airlines.

You just may have to step up and be a part of making it work, Captain...someone did it for you.

Last edited:
skyboy, that is exactly what is happening. People with more experience will not work for those wages. Therefore, the airlines have redefined competitive minimums, and the CFI falls right into those new minimums. Adam Smith figured this out in 1790.

The only thing that I've noticed to be consistant with the low timer threads is the only ones that make the argument that a 200 hrs guy is ready, is the 200 hrs guy. How the hell do know if you are ready of not. Every captain, unless of course they started at a regional with 200 hrs knows all to well that you guys can't find your a$$ with both hands in the dark. The 200 hrs dudes defend their position out of the insecurity they feel because they only have 200 freaking hours. Grow up, quit trying to cut corners, and get off mommy's nipple some where else other than the 121 environment------freaking tools. You sound like whiney a$$ luke crying to yoda, I'm ready,----I really am waaahhhhhhhhhhhh. Thats why you clowns are all willing to work for free, or pay for training because deep
down inside you know your skills are in the toilet.

I know I can't type or spell so don't use that as a defense to this thread. That is another low timer trick. Pick apart the spelling and grammar because you have no other rebuttal.

just my two cents....I flight instructed for about 700 hours or so and I knew a lot of book stuff and was pretty proficient. I really learned how to fly when I flew freight for AirNet Express. I think night freight, single pilot IFR in busy airports dealing with all types of weather is experience you can not get anywhere else even regional airline flying. I found ATR and RJ flying easy after flying for AirNet. The captains I flew with appreciated my compentance and some even said it was nice to fly with an FO that knew what he was doing. Glad I did it as I am a better pilot today.

When did FO become a student position. I agree that you learn to be a captain as an FO but we have people learning to fly as an FO. The FO's job is to back the captain up and offer a second opinion in decision making and that just isn't possible at 200 hrs.

RichardRambone said:
What the hell is this airline hiring 200 hour guys? Ive got almost 800 and I havent heard a peep. Granted in the scheme of things I would prefer (all else not considered) to land a 135 twin piston job when I get my 135 mins, then get turboprop PIC time before moving on to the jets. That sounds like a natural progression to me but with 800 hours noones calling me and I feel I have more experience than a typical CFI with my same flight time. For the past year I've dealt with real world IFR flying ferrying airplanes around in all kinds of weather and in airplanes I dont know little about. Its exposed me to handling inflight malfunctions and near emergencies, all outside of a training environment. I defenitely have so much more to learn and experience and in the scheme of things Im a pup but I am more experienced than my number of hours show. Hire me dang you!!

Send your stuff to ASA; we are taking anyone with a heartbeat at the moment.
I heard we hired someone with 180 hours, but I have yet to verify that. I
assume he was Part 141.

finnjl said:
just my two cents....I flight instructed for about 700 hours or so and I knew a lot of book stuff and was pretty proficient. I really learned how to fly when I flew freight for AirNet Express. I think night freight, single pilot IFR in busy airports dealing with all types of weather is experience you can not get anywhere else even regional airline flying. I found ATR and RJ flying easy after flying for AirNet. The captains I flew with appreciated my compentance and some even said it was nice to fly with an FO that knew what he was doing. Glad I did it as I am a better pilot today.
Amen

make your trial and error mistakes with boxes in the back. That's what I did. The airline flying is an absolute joke compared to night freight. You need to scare the crap out of yourself so you know what it feels like then you won't do it with grandma and gramps in the back.

Salty Pirate said:
When did FO become a student position. I agree that you learn to be a captain as an FO but we have people learning to fly as an FO. The FO's job is to back the captain up and offer a second opinion in decision making and that just isn't possible at 200 hrs.

Well, 200 hours isn't a permanent condition. And, one learns his whole career or shouldn't be there. At some points the learning curve is steeper than others.

Last I checked (in a recently former life I was a 141 Check Instructor) it took 190 hours ABSOLUTELY BARE MINIMUM to get a Commercial ticket in a 141 program.

Everybody keeps talking about "this airline" hiring 200hr wonders. WHO IS THIS AIRLINE? My best guess is there is no such airline, as the lowest I've heard of recently is MAPD taking San Juaners around 300tt that have been groomed for the plane they are flying (CRJ or Beech).

You guys act like it takes a triple PhD in Physics, geometry, and engineering to even taxi a plane. I got plenty of hours flying all sorts of Jets with assorted liveries on MS flight simulator. I don't need more than a wet Comm./ME/IFR to get passengers from point A to B. I'll let that poor captain make all of the decisions while I run around town in my nifty pilot uniform telling everyone what airline I work for. Between bedding hot babes I'll create a kick ass website and blog announcing even further to the world of my inflated ego that I AM AN AIRLINE PILOT. It'll contain such neat pictures of me posing in and around a shiney new jet that I fly for illegal immigrant wages.

So to hell with risking my tail flying cancelled checks around during inclement weather, thats for guys who have a death wish. Just give me my airconditioned jet cabin and a really competent captain who will save my ass along with all those poor souls on board should shoot hit the fan.

Thanks.:) ;) :D

(I'm being fecetious for those feeling a bit serious and livid)

Latest resources

Back