• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why Was Comair Not Sold?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How long until we admit that the Comair pilots lost the strike. When they shut down? In fairness, it's not the Comair pilots who lost, it's every other pilot group out there who supported the CMR pilots sacrifice, then turned around and signed vastly inferior contracts. ALPA lost.

The day Comair shuts down should be a day of shame for every ALPA pilot.

I don't understand. So what you're saying is thank ALPA for trying to get you a better wage even though that same ALPA represented another pilot group to step in to take over you? Either you are not making sense or you just described the regional industry perfectly.

Actually, I don't blame ALPA for anything, because all they do in reality is facilitate an individual pilot group into negotiating whatever they deem as fair. The problem with the regionals, is they can easily be whipsawed against eachother to the point where they have to be CHEAPER than the next group or they lose their contracts. Since mainline dictates the schedule and pays the fuel, and sometimes aircraft leases, the only competitive advantage one company can produce over another is LABOR.

My only solution to this was that ALPA should have published a minimum standard by which contracts would be judged. Those below this standard would not be allowed ALPA benefits, which I would have included the jumpseat.
The jumpseat has allowed companies to startup at far below actual livable wage costs because aircrew just "jumps" to work and back and accepts constant base changes. If the minimum contract per ALPA was required to provide access to the jumpseat, then companies would pay what is required to meet that minimum, otherwise you would never find labor for VA, Jetblue, etc, let alone most of the regionals who base out of NYC, LA etc.
ALPA should define the "profession" and then hold professionals accountable for their wages.
Do you think a plumber in NYC working for a company that pays $5 per hour would be let into the union? Nope, and that company would have some big barriers to work around finding plumbers.
Just saying..... everyone wants to accept commuting across the country for subpar wages but then wonders why they continually get beat over the head for the last $.
If the regionals hate ALPA so much, they should form a regional union, fine. But their flying is always tied to what mainline is willing to give away, unless they start to actually market thier own product.
Luv

First to demand livable regional wages.....

I wouldn't say the first to "demand" livable regional wages. AWAC and ACA got them though normal CBA negotiations/demand before COMAIR's strike.

COMAIR just had to resort to different means to attain it.

Bear in mind, "livable regional wages" is a bit of an oxymoron. For a CA, not so much. But even the best pre 9/11 FO rates were a tad crappy overall.

Real nice, dancing on undug graves.

Their strike did change the industry mostly for the better. It was a bar raiser. The positive effects would've manifested themselves much better if it weren't for the post 911 industry downturn.

Many of the things the Comair pilots did post strike is what earned them the wrath of just about everyone who is now grave dancing, but I believe they have been rogered quite enough.

have published a minimum standard by which contracts would be judged. Those below this standard would not be allowed ALPA benefits, which I would have included the jumpseat.

I think you may be on to something here. By no means do I think a jumpseat "war" should be initiated, but if this rule was ALPA policy I think the industry might be a little different. Although, a flaw in this theory is who actually owns the jumpseat. The company paid for the jumpseat but the captain does have final discretion. Interesting idea.

-CF

The only way to get past this is a national union. Alpa is is obsolete, I don't think it was ever relavent

Latest resources

Back