• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why United Airlines will fail again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just skimmed the article, but it would appear there is one great big flaw in the assumption. That would be United's market share in the Pacific. It is a cash cow. If they play it right it is more than enough to sustain the company.

What all the people who cheerlead SWA, Jetblue, and Airtran fail to understand is that widebody aircraft make BIG money when properly utilized on international routes.

Typhoonpilot

AA717driver said:
I personally see a bright future for UAL and its employees--nothing in the forecast but sunshine and 75 degrees from here on out. In fact, I'm so positive about their future, I'm going to go out and get my UAL Chase card and the 1,000,000 FFB signing bonus they're offering!

(Singing: Zippity, do-dah, zippity-ay...) ;) TC

Not blue skies and bright future, just light at the end of the tunnel.
The last three years UAL's employees have been flying through a tornado filled squall line that's been kicking our a$$es. We may have even flown through a hurricane or two, but I don't remember finding the calm in the eye. It looks like we might be able to find a less rough patch ahead; I see AltoCu Standing Lenticular above and ahead. Flying around ACSL will be a refreshing change for us; with luck, the turbulence will only be moderate.

I hope that you and your airline find less turbulence than we've found at UAL; the ride sucks.

Just a couple of points --
?The exit loan is secured, it is a priority loan which leaves anyone else with a loan behind the curve.
Like most airlines, a number of things they do not controll will determine the odds --like the fuel price etc.

Just for G4G5 fool...

Southwest pushes through a fare hike; get ready to pay more
Southwest Airlines is raising airfares as the carrier’s exposure to high fuel prices increases, reports the Fort Worth Star-Telegram (free registration). The increases will be modest -- $3 each way for routes longer than 750 miles, $2 each way for flights between 400 to 750 miles and $1 each way on some routes shorter than 400 miles. But even given the relatively small fare hike, the Star-Telegram writes that Southwest’s increased fares “likely means higher prices for travelers who fly any airline competing with the discounter.” What’s more, the Southwest fare hike is likely to give staying power to the recent trend of steadily rising airfares. For the past several years, discount carriers have been able to dictate the fare levels -– even forcing the biggest traditional carriers to match fares or risk being undersold on competitive routes. But now that the discounters are raising fares, that frees the nation’s big carriers to do the same.
As for Southwest, the increase was the airline’s first since September, but the low-cost giant says its $299 cap on one-way fares will remain. "We have to balance our desire to be the low-fare leader with the cost pressures in front of us," says spokeswoman Beth Harbin. So why is the airline increasing fares now? The airline's fuel hedges have been reduced. The Star-Telegram writes that “last year, Southwest was shielded from most of the oil-price increases thanks to contracts that allowed it to buy fuel at cheaper rates. But some of those contracts expired at the end of 2005, reducing that protection.” And Southwest isn’t alone among discounters raising fares; JetBlue also raised fares last week, pushing its prices up $5 each way, according to the Star-Telegram. The Dallas Morning News (free registration) says other carriers, including American and Delta, have also pushed fares up by $5 each way.

boeing747-800 said:
Just for G4G5 fool...

Southwest pushes through a fare hike; get ready to pay more​

Southwest Airlines is raising airfares as the carrier’s exposure to high fuel prices increases, reports the Fort Worth Star-Telegram (free registration). The increases will be modest -- $3 each way for routes longer than 750 miles, $2 each way for flights between 400 to 750 miles and $1 each way on some routes shorter than 400 miles. But even given the relatively small fare hike, the Star-Telegram writes that Southwest’s increased fares “likely means higher prices for travelers who fly any airline competing with the discounter.” What’s more, the Southwest fare hike is likely to give staying power to the recent trend of steadily rising airfares. For the past several years, discount carriers have been able to dictate the fare levels -– even forcing the biggest traditional carriers to match fares or risk being undersold on competitive routes. But now that the discounters are raising fares, that frees the nation’s big carriers to do the same.
As for Southwest, the increase was the airline’s first since September, but the low-cost giant says its $299 cap on one-way fares will remain. "We have to balance our desire to be the low-fare leader with the cost pressures in front of us," says spokeswoman Beth Harbin. So why is the airline increasing fares now? The airline's fuel hedges have been reduced. The Star-Telegram writes that “last year, Southwest was shielded from most of the oil-price increases thanks to contracts that allowed it to buy fuel at cheaper rates. But some of those contracts expired at the end of 2005, reducing that protection.” And Southwest isn’t alone among discounters raising fares; JetBlue also raised fares last week, pushing its prices up $5 each way, according to the Star-Telegram. The Dallas Morning News (free registration) says other carriers, including American and Delta, have also pushed fares up by $5 each way.

Uhh...a publish date would be most appropriate.

bluejuice787 said:
Uhh...a publish date would be most appropriate.
No he did that on purpose. Seeing that it was just published today, he thinks he's being smart.

So smart that he forgot to check the SWA press release web site:
http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/press/prindex.html

He would have noticed that they have not announced a fare increase yet.

Last edited:
G4G5 said:
No he did that on purpose. Seeing that it was just published today, he thinks he's being smart.

So smart that he forgot to check the SWA press release web site:
http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/press/prindex.html

He would have noticed that they have not announced a fare increase yet.

Idiot

The fare increase he is mentioning is nominal anyway by industry standards.

As much as I love my friends at United and wish them the best I very much agree with the original artical. LCCs are not simply leaner and meaner. In most cases they have started with the idea of a customer and built upon the idea of taking care of them. Someting Tilton et al know nothing about.

boeing747-800 said:
Just for G4G5 fool...

Southwest pushes through a fare hike; get ready to pay more​

As for Southwest, the increase was the airline’s first since September, but the low-cost giant says its $299 cap on one-way fares will remain.

LET ME FINISH THE PART OF THE QUOTE THAT YOU LEFT OUT:
Fares in some markets where sales are going on, such as Denver and Dallas, remain unaffected
"Such as Denver" my next question would be what other markets?

"We have to balance our desire to be the low-fare leader with the cost pressures in front of us," says spokeswoman Beth Harbin. So why is the airline increasing fares now? The airline's fuel hedges have been reduced. The Star-Telegram writes that “last year, Southwest was shielded from most of the oil-price increases thanks to contracts that allowed it to buy fuel at cheaper rates. But some of those contracts expired at the end of 2005, reducing that protection.” And Southwest isn’t alone among discounters raising fares; JetBlue also raised fares last week, pushing its prices up $5 each way, according to the Star-Telegram. The Dallas Morning News (free registration) says other carriers, including American and Delta, have also pushed fares up by $5 each way.

Just so I have this straight, SWA wil not be raising their max fare of $299, nor will their fare increase go into effect in the Denver market.

And this is good for UAL? Nice try

But a $1,2 or even $3 fare increase on non competing UAL routes is not going to solve this problem:

This is from UAL's latest 8k SEC filing dated Jan 17, 2006

"The company expects mainline fuel price for the first quarter to average $1.92 per gallon, and for the full-year to average $1.81 per gallon (including taxes). Currently the company has no hedges in place for 2006. For the full-year 2006, the company anticipates fuel expense for mainline and the company's regional affiliates' operations will increase by approximately $885 million over its previous assumption, which was based on a mainline fuel price of $1.48 per gallon (including taxes). The previous assumptions were more fully described in the company's Updated G6 financial projections contained in Exhibit 99.1 to the Form 8-K filed with the SEC on January 17, 2006. The company expects to be able to offset some, but not all, of this increase through higher revenues."

http://app.quotemedia.com/quotetools/showFiling.go?name=UAL%20CORP%20/DE/:%208-K,%20Sub-Doc%203,%20Page%201&link=http%3A//quotemedia.10kwizard.com/filing.xml%3Frepo%3Dtenk%26ipage%3D3916596%26doc%3 D3%26num%3D1

So tell me again how is UAL going to manage to increasing fares out of Denver, to cover fuel costs when SWA is not increasing fares? ? Idiot, fool?

Last edited:
Must really suck for you in your little RJ life G4. I can't believe your obsession with all things United related. Have any of you flown on United recently? We always take care of the other airlines, we always put you in first when available (something MOST of you don't do), our service has been receiving award winning responses, our p.s. service is second to none, we still board pillows and blankets (even on Ted), we still offer economy plus seating instead of cramming you into the can like most others have gone, and we still have the incredible route structure which you all guaranteed us we would sell before emerging. So please, tell me what we're doing wrong. How I seen it, United is defining itself as the ONLY airlines that still offers amenities among the legacies.

As for $50 bbl, that's over the long term of 10 years. Right now we need $67 to break even.

Good job United. Glad to see you made it.

Last edited:
FlyUnited said:
Must really suck for you in your little RJ life G4. I can't believe your obsession with all things United related. Have any of you flown on United recently? We always take care of the other airlines, we always put you in first when available (something MOST of you don't do), our service has been receiving award winning responses, our p.s. service is second to none, and we still have the incredible route structure which you all guaranteed us we would sell before emerging. So please, tell me what we're doing wrong.

As for $50 bbl, that's over the long term of 10 years. Right now we need $67 to break even.

Good job United. Glad to see you made it.

Playing Mr. Mom today.

I only wish the best for the UAL employees. My beef is with Tilton, I feel that he has done nothing except attack the pensions of the American worker. He was CEO of Texaco for under a year and his only claim to fame is being CEO when the company was sold to Chevron. As far as UAL, he has done nothing to impress me. Hiring expensive consultant and lawyers for countless millions, just to follow their advice does not add to his resume as a CEO.

Now it looks to me like he is trying to pull the company out of Ch11 too early just so he can cash in on his stock options. If I am pointing out UAL flaws it's not to hurt the employees but only bring to light the real problems and how little his mgt team has really done.

Good luck

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back