Why United Airlines will fail again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Andy said:
I'll give Tilton credit for filing early with unencumbered assets. Many don't understand how important that was for UAL's survival, because UAL couldn't find a loan on those assets for any decent rates outside of chap 11.

With DAL more leveraged, do you think they are more likely to fail after coming out of BK? I'm thinking the debt burden will kill their CASM.

Maybe they will be like USAir, in need of a partner. I'm thinking NWA, CAL or UAL will be the strong partner with any merger for DAL.

Maybe the new USAir will merge with DAL.

Andy said:
I was in Airbus training in the summer of 2001, and the guy next to me was also in a class at UAL (to this day, I don't know who he was and don't care). He yelled in the phone so loud at his wife that it was easy for me to hear his side of the conversations. In a nutshell, this guy was building a $1.5 million house for his bride, and had bid up to the largest equipment he could (ie bottom reserve pilot) so that they could afford it. She wanted $10K to go to Europe for the summer while he was in training. After a few days of this, the noise in the next room finally subsided; he caved. I wonder who she's sucking blood from nowadays.

Sounds like the couple who was on Oprah :)

Latest resources

Back