• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why is AT&T losing its pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I believe "Turtle" is referring to legacy AT&T out of Morristown. That very reputation (the name) is what keeps people lining up. Oh, along with the shiny jets and economy. But you are right, given options, there isn't much of a chance a seasoned, quality crewmember would choose that department right now.

Sounds like " Shakedown" to me. No idea about the arguments thing though....

I do remember him giving a line check to two people in this thread and criticizing them for using flows on all the checklists. "We don't do flows here."

Don't forget to put in your mandatorily voluntary United Way donation, CRJ.

That's hilarious by the way, just saw that haha. So true.

I hear you, Guido. But perhaps your attitude is rare. Have we not all flown with people who see expensive hotels and cars as an entitlement?

Not an entitlement, but being treated as a professional......unfortunately, that is disappearing. All you have to do is check this site once a day.

Snicker. :blush:
And that right there is a large problem in our industry now. The new breed of Aviation Directors and Chief Pilots are lacking in the bulge when it comes to standing up for their guys. They're all a bunch of yes men (and I use the term men loosely).

They have to be yes men due to the mismanaged and irresponsible financial decisions that they or their partner have made.

Word is GP is the chief pilot. Just collecting paychecks and allowing the Pompous A-hole, GD, the majority of day to day ops. GD has it in his head the next directorship should be his based on 30 years of ineptness. The tiny politico director doesn't know the line of manure being shoveled on his expensive shoes, and just goes along. The other 2 Asst Chief Pilots are a mess. Between arguing with his daughter and circling the drain of retirement, he is doing Shots at the bar long into the night with the other Asst chief pilot, a total yes man. I guess this shot thing cropped up during a chairmans retreat to JAC. Supposedly goes against their rest rules or lack of rest rules. Somebody wrote it up, but GD covered it up.

A small bit of poetic license used. I don't know if an actual drain was mentioned.

I believe "Turtle" is referring to legacy AT&T out of Morristown. That very reputation (the name) is what keeps people lining up.

That was a great department as well but I am referring to the SWBell, SBC, new AT&T department. My understanding was the previous CEO and Director were very close, which helped with a unified vision. The chief pilot prior to one left to start Cingular and returned when the New AT&T bought out Bell South. Remember, it wasn't a merger, they were bought. Why Bell South pilots were kept over legacy pilots is one of the great mysteries of all time. Industry wide nobody could believe it.

Now the New AT&T is in tatters and from a career position it sounds like it is an entry level, time builder, until a career presents itself

The previous director was a tool. He just managed to bs the previous CEO enough to get away with it. Karma seems to have caught up in a big way. The only vision DY had was of his ego.

I understand your beef with DY. As mentioned several times on here, an absolutely horrible decision was made in keeping the Bell South pilots over those he had personally hired. I have known him for over 20 years and yes he can be hard headed. I remember when the department had the huge disagreement over the landing light. If I recall, the story correctly, it was GD who was afraid if management gave in on the landing light, "who knows what they will want next?" Which is an entirely different topic I will address below

Dassault, which is the manufacturer of aircraft in which AT&T fly, and Flight Safety, which is the training facilitator for AT&T, both use QRH checklists, consisting of very concise, effective flows to ready the aircraft for a particular phase of flight. Most flight departments, preach a "train how you fly" approach. AT&T, under the lack of guidance, and fear of losing control, choose to disregard the Dassault QRH, and use their on ad hoc checklists. An example is the Dassault before landing checklist may have 3 steps (aircraft dependent). AT&T has more than double the steps. To include the aforementioned landing lights. I have heard it from Flight Safety (nobody is immune there) and a few of their pilots. GD is under the belief that he knows better than the manufacturer and the Training Facility. They are flying Easy jets in the same manner as a Falcon 20. Their checklists, which apparently he designs but doesn't follow (Rubber Jungle & #2 engine not starting due to Thrust Lever) are full of garbage and unnecessary steps simply for the lowest common denominator (Weak Management Pilots). I saw the AT&T 900 Easy paper checklist. I was told they spent $$$$$ to change ECL to match their Falcon 20 days.

Latest resources

Back