• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why is AT&T losing its pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another point about the previous director. Nothing came out. Nobody talked. Everything was kept internal. Not necessarily good, but it was a very low key operation. Designed to keep a low profile, not attract attention.

Now, it is in my opinion completely in disarray. I have been at this a very long time, and I have never witnessed such a decline, other than a department closing. The amount of negativity coming from the pilot group directed at the top 5 is a sign of trouble.

you guys are having a great conversation among the two of you. BUT, who really gives a rat's ass about AT&T Flight Dept?

you guys are having a great conversation among the two of you. BUT, who really gives a rat's ass about AT&T Flight Dept?
Not exactly true, if there were an opening there, there would be a long line of potential candidates.

Semperfido said:
This^^
pilotyip said:
Not exactly true, if there were an opening there, there would be a long line of potential candidates.
Not this^^

I remember when the department had the huge disagreement over the landing light.
Would you be willing to expand on what the disagreement was over a landing light? Management wanting to "save the costs of the bulbs" by not using them in the daytime or something?

I think topics like these need to be talked about regularly, and the bad departments and managers outed. There seems to be a rash of Aviation Managers and Chief Pilots now who are nothing more than limp-dicked yes men who won't stand up for their guys, and can't get out of the "that's the way we've always done it" mentality. It's nice to get these discussions out there so the up-and-comers in our industry can see what kind of managers not to be.

Ah yes, the taxi light thing. Let's just say it was an opportunity for Nator* (GD) to show leadership (GN even put research effort into it to prove the point and was dismissed entirely). Instead he (Nator) chose to be petty and tell his pilots how to fly. Never mind that leadership decreed earlier to the Safety Committee, "We don't tell pilots how to fly" when a recommendation was put forward to change how the taxi checklist was done.

End result. Pilots weren't "told how to fly" and a 50 wound up in the mud. It wasn't addressed after that either.

DY did a lot of stupid things like that. One of the pilots in this thread proved that the company could save several hundred thousand dollars a year by changing the policy on cruise speeds. Again, "We don't tell pilots how to fly" but there was a MANDATORY Mach 0.80-0.82 cruise speed. Even if you were early you could not slow down to save fuel. DY, in his wisdom (when faced directly with the data) said, "We researched this and the savings are not significant." Well maybe they were insignificant when JET A was $2.50 a gallon but when it was $10.85/gal it became enormous.

"We don't tell pilots how to fly."

Right. But you sure told pilots how to find another job because of your inefficiency. Hey, at least you had "The Largest Falcon Fleet in the World" (Trademark).

Any way, it is all old news now. SemperFido may be right. Who really cares? AT&T will always find pilots... Heck, even the WORST 135 night freight company finds pilots. People need jobs and someone is always hungry enough to do it.

There are quite a few REALLY GOOD PEOPLE over there right now. I hope things are better for them than it sounds.

* Not Allowed To Recommend - Great inside joke based on a pilot GD knew at church and brought aboard. Dude was eventually let go (won't go into details, but a really nice guy). Sad situation. Hence the callsign.

Last edited:
. It's nice to get these discussions out there so the up-and-comers in our industry can see what kind of managers not to be.

As a Marine I think SemperFido would be on board with this.

"Know your Marines and look out for their welfare."

"1) Accomplish the mission. 2) Look out for the welfare of your men."

Sounds like good advice to me, be you an F/O or a D.O.

As a Marine I think SemperFido would be on board with this.

"Know your Marines and look out for their welfare."

"1) Accomplish the mission. 2) Look out for the welfare of your men."

Sounds like good advice to me, be you an F/O or a D.O.

Semperfido would agree that in The Marines, he would be on board with that concept. In a he said/she said cluster F of disgruntled corp pilot banter, not so much.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back