Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why are foreign airlines so much better than US?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think age has very little to do with service. It's the attitude. Many of the FAs you meet on US airlines have LOUSY attitudes. Hey, let's face it, the US airline industry has been a LOUSY place to work since the end of the 90s, but taking it out on the pax will not solve anything.

New seats, etc. are all nice, but I think most people would look past the inside of the airplane if they got excellent service. (Most people = economy pax, business class pax expect a little more.)

One of the best flights I had in recent times was in a POS B762 operated by USAirways. The two FAs in the back were friendly, knew how to make/take a joke, and treated me like... are you ready... A CUSTOMER (vs another annoying mouth to feed).

Do I have to pay extra for a smile and a bit of patience? I hope not.

Skyward80

Answer these questions and it will provide some insight:

1. When is the last time you herd a flight attendant say "I am here primarily for your safety?" I have never herd that in Asia. Customer service is their job and if a Cabin Attendant didn't do her job, she would be fired.

2. When is the last time you saw a mechanic run to your airplane? It is abnormal to see one walk when you have a maintance problem here.

3. Have you had to wait for the ground staff to meet your airplane lately? I have never had to wait for a gate, jet bridge operator, GPU, etc since I have been in Asia.

Providing customer service is job #1 in Asia. If you dont do it, you are show then door, period. The company is staffed properly, and you will never hear someone say " That is not my job."

In addition, the customer here is willing to pay a premium price for a premium product. The combinations are the reason why Foreign carriers fly circles around US carriers.

Answer these questions and it will provide some insight:

1. When is the last time you herd a flight attendant say "I am here primarily for your safety?" I have never herd that in Asia. Customer service is their job and if a Cabin Attendant didn't do her job, she would be fired.

2. When is the last time you saw a mechanic run to your airplane? It is abnormal to see one walk when you have a maintance problem here.

3. Have you had to wait for the ground staff to meet your airplane lately? I have never had to wait for a gate, jet bridge operator, GPU, etc since I have been in Asia.

Providing customer service is job #1 in Asia. If you dont do it, you are show then door, period. The company is staffed properly, and you will never hear someone say " That is not my job."

In addition, the customer here is willing to pay a premium price for a premium product. The combinations are the reason why Foreign carriers fly circles around US carriers.

You focus on many good points for foreign airlines but what you fail to see is that if foreign airlines don't have the same class of passengers that US domestic airlines carry. Let's switch paxs and see how well Emirates does with Billy Bob from Texas who is going to get his fifth mini vodka if he has to get it himself, bygum.

Also the majority of the foreign carriers are still subsidized by their government. So the service is priority number one like it was in the US prior to deregulation. The only competition prior to '78 was who had the best meal and the hottest "Stews."

And people wonder why deregulation was such a "bad" idea...

Well, they wanted cheap tickets,,, they got 'em. Hope they enjoy their ride on Skybus, etc.

When airlines finally raise prices, it'll be interesting because the general public has gotten used to the idea of easy access to air travel. Can't wait to hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth! :)

Also the majority of the foreign carriers are still subsidized by their government. So the service is priority number one like it was in the US prior to deregulation. The only competition prior to '78 was who had the best meal and the hottest "Stews."

And our carriers are not? How do you think that places like Appleton Wisconsin, gets six flights a day with 4 RJ's and 2 SAAB's? The government subsidizes (or rather, you and I) the vast majority of these feeding domestic routes to keep continuous service and the prices low. International airlines are subsidizes in a manner that they are not overburdened by taxes like we are here in the US. In other countries you see the task of security for example, done by their respective military and police forces and they are not taken from the 40 cents per dollar that we pay here in the US in taxes to hire as a TSA agent that we all know is not very far off your typical rent a cop from a mall. Is not a matter of transporting "Billy Bob" in a cattle car, it is a matter of a failed business policy that simply doesn't work. $99 tickets to Vegas doesn't pay for the fuel, simple as that.

In any case this is a dead horse arguement unless cabotage really gets going. Even then, the finest Asian carriers with 21 year old hot FA's who rub most honorable businessman's feet in first class will still have to deal with US gate and ramp agents, and may likely be forced to hire US based flight crews at some point. When on equal footing labor wise, there will be zero advantage.

Fuel costs have gone up about 75% in dollars this past year while only about 40% in Euros over the same period.

Yeha - let's keep lowering the interest rates...

Fuel costs have gone up about 75% in dollars this past year while only about 40% in Euros over the same period.

Yeha - let's keep lowering the interest rates...

True dat. One "good" thing may be that the US experienced it first, and will likely hit bottom with the housing bubble first. Other countries are just now starting to feel the pinch of our housing bubble, plus many will have their own pop at the same time. Our fake wealth 30% annual appreciation (speculation) monopoly money botique mortgages were packaged up and sold as high priced securities all over the globe. We're not the only ones holding the bag. Our currency, however low it goes, will likely be on the upswing when the unholy alliance that is the Euro starts to decline substantially.

Latest resources

Back