Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Why are foreign airlines so much better than US?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
probably because they have more babes as FA's

I think you mean why are some foreign airlines better than some US airlines. I've been on foreign airlines and some of them rock, and some of them are downright scary. But yes, many countries are allowed to discriminate very severely on the types of FA's they hire, and others are able to pass along some of their third world slave labor costs to the consumer at the same time.

That said, I think over the last 10 years, US carriers have gained back much of the ground they lost for a while to many foreign competitors. While high Load Factors and on time issues continue to plague our system, overall our product is getting better. With the exception of SkyBus (whose horrible product is starting to become pretty Euro-typical by the way for domestic flights) most US airlines have refreshed their fleets (and even the older planes at NWA and Delta have been refreshed inside...UAL has totally let their 737's go, and I'm not sure about CAL since I haven't been on them in a while, but they always seem to win service awards, etc).

The last big boom cycle in the late 90's has resulted in modernized terminals in just about every large airport in the country and many smaller ones as well. US carriers are rapidly upgrading their international first classes to compete with foreign offerings, and our coach products are comparable to most other countries and in many cases far superior, even to some European airlines.

But US airlines simply will never have the "advantage" of hiring exclusively thin, single, attractive female FA's with no kids and a timid desire to make you feel special about yourself. But I don't think that's an advantage we necessarily need to survive and compete anyway. Of course many guys go to Hooters for the scenery, but on any given night most people go to places like Applebees, TGIFriday's and Chili's anyway.

Not only that, but worker's rights and women's rights issues are only going to increase going forward. You simply won't be able to get a gaggle of 21 year old thin, attractive female FA's on all your flights on foreign airlines for too much longer anyway.

So in short, some foreign airlines are better than some US airlines, but we are better than many already, and catching up to the rest rapidly.

some foreign airlines are better than some US airlines, but we are better than many already, and catching up to the rest rapidly.

keep telling yourself that over and over again, remember to click your heals while you are at it

keep telling yourself that over and over again, remember to click your heals while you are at it

Oh yeah, you are with ANA. Your stews have hot skills, and love you business traveller long time. You will take over the world with your American Frequent Flyer...Jackpot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

Didn't know that they were. Thanks for the heads up. Bring on the cheese-eatin' surrender monkeys.........

Charging the passenger for the cost of doing business plus a little profit might have something to do with it.

Low hag coefficient.

Charging the passenger for the cost of doing business plus a little profit might have something to do with it.
Gotta 2nd that idea...

Not only that, but worker's rights and women's rights issues are only going to increase going forward. You simply won't be able to get a gaggle of 21 year old thin, attractive female FA's on all your flights on foreign airlines for too much longer anyway.
Don't count on that...

Most women in other countries don't seem really *hip* on the women's rights thing. Most of them have seen how the women in U.S. and Europe have fared trying to combine a full-time career with home life and don't want any part of it. They're happy to find a husband, settle down, and be the "happy home maker".

Don't shoot the messenger... I personally like my wife home with the kids as well.

Latest resources

Back