• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Where have all the TWA gone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Definitely the greatest job I ever had. There were about 8 or 9 of us in HKG interviewing with Cathay when I was there.

PilotBob, congrats on JB!! Good to see some of the guys from our class are getting good jobs out there. Take care.

Todd H

steveg said:
Go away you bitter old man.

There is certainly a reason for his bitterness....He has a history of bashing TWA pilots in one way or another. Was probably rejected or fired by TWA in the past or something like that. What a tool.

Twa

FlyChicaga said:
Man, this thread makes me even more depressed that TWA is gone. I only wish I could have flown with more TWA guys who could have taught me a few things. That's not blowing sunshine up your ass, either.

If you want to fly with them bad enough go work for Eagle and you can fly with them every day. There are probably a couple hundred on reserve there.

good luck!

Don't quite get what you are saying, but, I was talking about you, CSY, and your bitterness toward TWA and its people.

Don't quite get what you are saying, but, I was talking about you, CSY, and your bitterness toward TWA and its people.

Okay, will try again:

I am not bitter towards TWA and its people...As stated twice before.
(Who got that idea anyway?

Just responding to AA bashing like this quote:

Now, the bad news. Former pure AA guys ain't gonna make it out here in the real world. Bad attitudes, bad skills.

Being a "former pure" AA guy, that kind of stuff gets my attention, although considering its source, I should ignore it.

As for where the former TWA guys work, well I work with a few of them and have no beef with them or their ex-airline.

What the AA guys and the ex TWA guys have in common is that we both wish AA had never bought TWA......

I believe this story sums up the class of people we had at TWA....

I was a new hire Dc-9 f/o with about 3 months on line when my wife and I decided to go to Honolulu for the weekend. The gate agent was able to "find" two available first class seats at the last minute on the 767.

As we boarded, some of the flight attendants must have seen my crew luggage tag or something, because about 30 minutes into the flight the captain came back into the cabin. He came right up to our seats - I thought I was going to get chewed out or something. Instead, he walked up and introduced himself (Captain Phil something) and told us it was an honor for him to have us on board with them. He asked what aircraft I was on, how long I had worked there, welcomed us to the TWA family, and asked where we were staying in Hawaii and if we wanted to share the crew van with them. He then told the flight attendants to make sure they took great care of us.

My wife and I just stood there with our mouths open, totally stunned. Here is this 58+ year old super senior, experienced 767 captain telling me, a 27 year old new hire, snot-nosed punk, that HE was honored to have ME on his airplane.

That was the most professional, amazing experience of my entire airline career. That is what made TWA so great. We had cockpits full of captains just like that.

People ask me if I had to do it over again - knowing i'd get furloughed at TWA, would I have done something different. I honestly tell them - even if I knew I was going to get furloughed in 2 years, I would make the same decision to go there again - it was the most amazing group of airline professionals I have ever met and the best two years of my life. It has defined who I am now, and hopefully I can carry some of that immense professionalism thoughout my career.

BTW, any 75-76 international TWA pilots know the name of the captain? His first name was Phil I think - I was never able to get his last name. When I told someone this story in the crew room - they knew exactly who I was talking about - saying he's like that to everyone.

God I miss TWA......

CSY Mon said:
Okay, will try again:

I am not bitter towards TWA and its people...As stated twice before.
(Who got that idea anyway?

Look back at your past posts in other threads. It's obvious. Btw, the buyout saved many jobs (maybe not yours though) on the AA side for a long time. You'll never admit that though. TWA was a great place because of the people. You'll probably never be lucky enough to know that either.

Yeah, I know exactly who you are talking about. PM me and I'll give you his name. Great guy to fly with. I had the pleasure many times. Havent' heard from him in several years, last I knew he was happily retired and living in Columbia MO. He did nothing but HI for a long time, he'd forgotten more about the plane than most people ever knew.

rudderdog said:
Btw, the buyout saved many jobs (maybe not yours though) on the AA side for a long time. You'll never admit that though. TWA was a great place because of the people. You'll probably never be lucky enough to know that either.

No truer words written.

Latest resources

Back