Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Jxfsp 840 15sep Jfk

TV9Driver said:
People ask me if I had to do it over again - knowing i'd get furloughed at TWA, would I have done something different. I honestly tell them - even if I knew I was going to get furloughed in 2 years, I would make the same decision to go there again - it was the most amazing group of airline professionals I have ever met and the best two years of my life. It has defined who I am now, and hopefully I can carry some of that immense professionalism thoughout my career.

God I miss TWA......

Hey TV9, I think you got it exactly right. I had the fortune to grow up in the TWA family, and went on to work the ramp, counter, training center, etc before making it into the flight deck. TWA was more than just a company, more than just a name - it always was, and always will be a small family. We looked out for each other. I will never regret making the decision to fly jets for TRANS WORLD AIRLINES.

TWA pilots are the reason I decided to persue flying as a career, and the many wonderful experiences I was able to have over the years will live with me forever.

From the Captain who invited a wide eyed teenager to "do the walkaround with us"; to the crew that allowed a college punk to sit in the 767 flight deck and input the flight plan to Berlin, and then call for push; to the Captain that put a jumpseating commuter puke to work during a complete electrical failure on a 727, I will always carry thier professionalism and spirit with me.

There are many TWA'ers here at America West, in fact on my first IOE flight I had the luck to have a former TWA JFK F/A working in the back. Talk about a reunion! I've done a double take once or twice when walking past the PHX bag room after seeing 2 or 3 flight kits with TWA stickers on them.

I recently flew with an AWA Captain who has a family member at AA. He brought up the AA vs TW disaster, and summed it up quite well. His opinion, was that the AA'ers were simply jealous. Its his view, thru his family member, that they have never had the devotion to thier airline that we had. And that even today, we show more pride in our TWA than AA will ever have. Who knows, he may just be right.....

I think there are few who are proud to be at American, I also think that the tragic events that the TWA family went through the past 10+ years allowed them to form a very strong bond that few other carriers have (not just AA). It is with those events from 800 to the BKs, through the horrible Icahn years that gave the strength to pull together, continue, and form life long friendships.

I have had the honor to fly with many TWA captains who I have formed friendhips with. The way they fly and run a cockpit is the way I wish many others at AA would follow. At of 5 bases, STL has been one of my favorites.

The TWA pilots have been professional from the moment we meet in ops, from offering to buy a cup of coffee, to taking turns at doing pre-flights (even in 100 DFW weather), they for the most part strive to have their FOs run their legs as they see fit and include them in all planning, they brief the FAs in the back and have the professionalism to nod and say hello in the terminal to fellow pilots. They have (especially sme of the OZ guys) taught me how to fly the 80 so smoothly that you would never know sitting in the back some of nuances of this aircraft even existed.

I do realize that I still hold a job, and for the most part would not have had one if a large bunch had not been put below me. All I can say as many others will agree I had no say in the acquistion, and no say in what the union did. I am very sorry for the way you were treated and wish everyone all the best.

However through all this we still have people on both sides that throw out venom and names, and it does absolutely nothing but breed more hate. There is enough of that in the world already.

Respectfully,

AA

Last edited:
AAPilot,

"I do realize that I hold a job still, and for the most part would not have had one if a large bunch had not been put below me. All I can say as many other will agree I had no say in the aquistion, and no say in what the union did. I am very sorry for the way you were treated and wish everyone all the best."

Thanks, it's refreshing to know that atitude exists on your side.

CLAMBAKE

My first ride on an airliner was on a TWA 707. The crew let us come up to the cockpit. I remember how cool it was to my twelve year old mind that the FO got to put his feet up on the instrument panel. (I didn't know they were footrests.)

Growing up in Columbus Ohio, I remember Dennis J. Smith and Larry Earhart, both super nice guys. I also remember getting to sit in the the left seat of a 727 when the Captain was nice enought to indulge me.

Class act.

Look back at your past posts in other threads. It's obvious.

Rudderdog:

yeah look at the other threads ya are refering to and you will see that I have never started a thread or initated any TWA bashing, but rather responded to potshots directed @ AA pilots.

If some of the ex TWA folks can dish it out, they should be able to take some back.

Btw, the buyout saved many jobs (maybe not yours though) on the AA side for a long time. You'll never admit that though.

How do you know what I will admit to...?:rolleyes:

TWA was a great place because of the people. You'll probably never be lucky enough to know that either.

Not seen any of that greatness on this board, it has been mostly whining and blaming their misfortune on AMR and APA and the AA pilots, etc, etc.

That being said, I had many good rides on TWA and have nothing but respect for the (Ex) operation.

At any rate, you and the rest of the TWA guys can have the last word, I am getting tired of the whole suject and ain't gone stick my nose in these threads anymore, bash AA as much as ya'll want too, tell everybody who cares to listen that TWA was great and AA just scum.....

Yawn, I am out of here.

Unfortunately, the bitterness of the merger and subsequent job losses will put a wet blanket on many of the good memories.

Not everything was rosy, however. So much of the first half of my career (and XTW's) was marred by Icahn and his lackeys (props to Wally and Rex... :mad: ).

It got really great the last five years or so. That's why the animosity. Just when things were going well... (AA didn't make the $h!t sandwich. It just happened to be the only item on the menu.)

But, I wouldn't trade it for my same DOH at any other airline. (Well... maybe SWA. ;) ) TC

Latest resources

Back