When can AirTran dump ALPA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA doesn't pit one airline against another

Come on, are you serious. In its almighty quest for dues revenue ALPA represents dozens of groups whose end goals are diametrically opposed to each other. If you truly believe that mainline plots are not trying to recapture all outsourced flying from regional affiliates then you are delusional! And if you truly believe all regional pilots are happy to give away all their flying to mainline, then I seriously need some of what you're smoking.

For your information, that is the exact definition of pitting one pilot group against another. Try again.

If you truly believe that mainline plots are not trying to recapture all outsourced flying from regional affiliates then you are delusional!
ALPA National doesn't control any flying. And of course individual airline ALPA groups are trying to recapture their flying. Can you blame a mainline pilot group for trying to get back what was originally theirs?

You are missing the point. ALPA National provides resources, it doesn't control any pilot group. The individual airline ALPA group negotiates for its pilots and that pilot group's participation in their ALPA group directly influences success and failure. If your pilot group isn't doing well, it's not because of ALPA national, it's because of your own group.

But it's easy to blame others for your failures....

With the 717 departing there is talk of a Law suit...1100 AT pilots showing up sans airplanes would have changed the SLI, or so it is reasoned, I don't personally agree...

With the 717 departing there is talk of a Law suit...1100 AT pilots showing up sans airplanes would have changed the SLI, or so it is reasoned, I don't personally agree...

Are you saying WN pilots on their own, or SWAPA on behalf of the pilots, would file suit against Southwest Airlines? Would that fall under the SLI or any of the agreed to processes?

We are not actually showing up without airplanes. We had a bunch of orders...some of which have been exercised and more to come Plus the 73's that have transitioned. Our 717's are supposed to be replaced on nearly a 1 to 1 basis. That is what has been rumored anyway. Now lawsuits from SWAPA. Funny. What is the basis of the lawsuit. How is there harm. The only thing SWA owes you is monthly guarantee. As long as you get that you will be hard pressed to show harm. Besides all you guys told us many times that you knew the 71's were leaving. Armed with that knowledge you voted on an SLI. One that SWAPA made sure couldn't be changed in arbitration. Now you want it changed. Looks like there is not much LUV at LUV anymore.

Last edited:
Come on, are you serious. In its almighty quest for dues revenue ALPA represents dozens of groups whose end goals are diametrically opposed to each other. If you truly believe that mainline plots are not trying to recapture all outsourced flying from regional affiliates then you are delusional! And if you truly believe all regional pilots are happy to give away all their flying to mainline, then I seriously need some of what you're smoking.

For your information, that is the exact definition of pitting one pilot group against another. Try again.

What Jim said, also, any flying the regionals has been given by the mainline isn't "theirs". Whatever flying mainline gives them is certainly fair to be taken back as the market warrants. You can't fault ALPA in any way for that.

ALPA National doesn't control any flying. And of course individual airline ALPA groups are trying to recapture their flying. Can you blame a mainline pilot group for trying to get back what was originally theirs?

You are missing the point. ALPA National provides resources, it doesn't control any pilot group. The individual airline ALPA group negotiates for its pilots and that pilot group's participation in their ALPA group directly influences success and failure. If your pilot group isn't doing well, it's not because of ALPA national, it's because of your own group.

But it's easy to blame others for your failures....

Lee Moak's signature is on the last two regional concessionary contracts.

These contracts hurt every pilot.

Pure and simple, alpa is a money machine.

Like I said, I don't agree, makes about as much sense as AAI/ALPA using the DRA venue...their (AAI/ALPA's) complaint should have been filed in court directly against SWA, but I suppose that would cost more money/time, and with AAI/ALPA becoming history those are commodites that that side doesn't have. The DRA/DRC is meant to be used to to resolve issues of improperly executing the agreed upon seniority list integration, I.E. a pilot at airline A (A for acquired ha, ha) is assigned a number on the ISL and when he transitions he is lower on the list than what was negotiated. The DRA/DRC was never meant to be used as a venue to gain monetary compensation because of "harm" inflicted by the acquiring company as a result of a sub lease of an airframe...this is completely unprecedented and as a result, who can predict what an arbitrator will do?...but it was the route that AAI/ALPA argued and won approval to use. I personally feel SWA should have considered the impact on both sides of the 717's demise and consulted the unions but they did not have to and they did not...and if you thought about just a little you would realize their is real harm being caused to BOTH sides by the 717 going away...

One more note...if an award is given, and SWA refuses to pay, it will be SWAPA that grieves, it will be SWAPA pilots who will sit at the SBOA with the company...crazy that the very entity that is arguing its case against AAI/ALPA in front of an arbitrator (final arguments on monday, award 10 days after) will have to "negotiate/fight/argue" call it what you will, with SWA, over any award to AAI/ALPA pilots.

When it is all said and done, I fear AAI/ALPA's DRC will be a distraction to the real prize for both pilot groups, section 6, of the next CBA with SWA...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back