When can AirTran dump ALPA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ty,

I suppose you are referring to SC comments about "capturing AAI captain" seats...all seems so irrelevant with the demise of the 717

Actually, those comments were made in regards to the 717 seats; those are the seats he wanted to "capture", and is part of the pending DRC.

...we get it, it sucks to have worked hard and put in your time to become a CP at a major airline, and it sucks to have to go back to being a FO (and then have to go through upgrade training again, believe me I get that...)

Thanks, I appreciate that. I know this has also been frustrating for the RSW pilots who were hired as growth had slowed/stopped. I'm sure the announcement was an additional kick in the nuts.

but once the DRC is adjudicated next month, and all the AAI pilots have transitioned, there is no room for ALPA on the property, it's called moving on and making the most of the situation...

I think thata key part of the issue is that SWAPA would have to come up to speed on the AAI Contract that we are operating under over here. Not sure that SWAPA wants to do that . . . I'm sure there are on-going discussions about how to best make the change to SWAPA.

Regds,
Ty

"those are the seats he wanted to "capture", and is part of the pending DRC"

I don't begrudge AAI/ALPA's DRC efforts (I may be in the minority), but let's not forget that if the 717 had stayed on the property, that many of those CP seats would have been populated with pilots who are junior to FOs on the same ISL...given the SWA CBA vacancy bidding rules and the fact that the 717 fleet was stagnant, this situation almost certainly have resulted in an "out of seniority seat grab" on the part of AAI...

Ty, how hard would it be for SWAPA to come up to speed on the AAI CBA in return for what would be collected in dues? Are the dues we are paying in to ALPA going to change anything over the next 14 months? I think not.
Even if the result of the DRC is in favor of the AAI guys does ALPA have the ability to get anything implemented? Again, I don't believe they do.
The focus should be looking forward at this point. I predict the DRC to yield jack squat for anyone except counsel.

ALPA has had a wonderful track record over the years, I will shed a few tears (by plucking some nose hairs) when they stop leaching from my pay check. I love hearing the ALPA success stories from the rEAL, Midwest, Emery, PAN-AM pilots about how well they were sodomized, I mean represented by that illustrious institution.

Until all DRC claims are heard, and all remedies accepted by management (and if not accepted, arbitrated at the second-stage arbitration), then you'd have to be a complete moron to want to get rid of our own representation.

They must be getting the expense account receipts for those $3,000 dinners. What a bloated, out of touch organization.

Unbelievable. Your beloved SWAPA has reps regularly pulling in 160+ TFP months because of their union work, and you want to criticize ALPA, where the union prohibits volunteers from making extra money from union work?

SWAPA is corrupt. And the BOD reducing the cap on extra TFPs from union work to 60 should be considered a slap in the face to all SWAPA members. Rise up and demand that your volunteers stop profiting off of their fellow pilots.

Just curious Critter and Karma, have either of you volunteered any of your time in union work for the betterment of the pilot group? I've yet to hear of any volunteers that actually do ALPA's local work belittling our union. It's always those on the sidelines with wives, families, sick kids or parents, other businesses or any other host of excuses they come up with to not volunteer that throw the first stones. I guess you'd be surprised to know that our local volunteers also have ex-wives, families, sick spouses or family members, businesses on the side, etc. and still find time to volunteer for their union. I'm sure it's the same at WN with the same type people complaining about what they are getting for their 1%.

Yet they pay half as much in union dues? At least the SWAPA guys know where their money goes. I would rather it go to pilots working for me than hired hands who are milking us dry. Like the useless writers for the magazine and overpriced staff.

Take a look at SWAPA's newspaper. I believe it was the Aug. or Sept issue that highlights some members complaints about reps bilking the union. It's also eye-opening to read the rep's views on AirTran pilots in general. Those guys will be representing you. I'm with PCL, I'd like to keep ALPA as long as we have a significant number of pilots still on the AirTran side and pending legal issues.

Unbelievable. Your beloved SWAPA has reps regularly pulling in 160+ TFP months because of their union work, and you want to criticize ALPA, where the union prohibits volunteers from making extra money from union work?

SWAPA is corrupt. And the BOD reducing the cap on extra TFPs from union work to 60 should be considered a slap in the face to all SWAPA members. Rise up and demand that your volunteers stop profiting off of their fellow pilots.

You calling SWAPA out for their sins is laughable.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back