• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

When can AirTran dump ALPA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No worries Dan. I agree we need to raise our match, the other stuff is above par.

You still aren't getting it. A match, no matter how high, is still subpar. You need a B-Fund or a non-elective contribution (NEC). You shouldn't have to contribute a dime to get at least the first 12% or so.

A match, no matter how high, is still subpar. You need a B-Fund or a non-elective contribution (NEC). You shouldn't have to contribute a dime to get at least the first 12% or so.

Red,

Despite the ongoing SWAPA vs ALPA acrimony, this is one item that we should agree on. PCL is correct; This is a plan that helps everybody. Especially those that find it difficult to contribute to their traditional 401K. For whatever reason.

It has some of the advantages of the old pension schemes, without the vulnerability of the company taking it from you a year before you retire.

Guys, I completely agree with both of you. B fund is the way to go.

I'm using a generic term 'match', so maybe I should have been more clear.

Did Airtran have any profit sharing dynamic? We've been getting around 3.5% lately, so that helps. But then its not contractual. So the B fund is definitly needed.

No, we didn't have a profit sharing plan. Personally, I'm not a fan of them. My compensation should not in any way be based upon the whims of managers manipulating numbers for tax purposes.

Why did AAI/ALPA lawyers think the DRA venue is better than filing a grievance or federal lawsuit directly against SWA (vs the DRC against SWAPA)?

Because it's easier faster and cheaper to try the DRC first. I predict if the AAI pilots don't get a huge win out of the DRC arbitrations that Federal court is the next step. This won't be over for years but that's not the important thing. The important thing is the ALPA lawyers and guys like PCL will continue to get paid.

Last edited:
Why did AAI/ALPA lawyers think the DRA venue is better than filing a grievance or federal lawsuit directly against SWA (vs the DRC against SWAPA)?

You can't file a grievance or a federal lawsuit when there's an agreement on an alternative process (the DRA). If you go to federal court, the judge will remand the case back to the DRC. Same if you try to go to an arbitrator through the grievance process. So filing a grievance or a lawsuit would just be a waste of time.

No worries Dan. I agree we need to raise our match, the other stuff is above par.

PS- I've worked at companies that gave you five mutual funds to chose from...five. No other option. More options are better.

No airline has just 5 mutual funds from which to choose. Not a one. The min is probably 35. Oh, and many allow you trade/gamble in stock as well. Not much difference.

Most studies have shown that limiting choices is actually better for the overwhelming majority of employees, and yields higher investment returns over time.

Not that I'm in favor of restricting options, but there is a solid argument to be made for it.

. . . . . When you can snatch the membership card from their hand, Grasshopper.

Seriously, until we are wearing SWA ID's and are flying purple planes, we need the representation we have.

If you want to get your money's worth, volunteer to serve on a couple of committees. :D

Yet more ALPA propaganda... Stop believing everything your union tells you, Ty.

They're blurple, not purple. Geez, get it right, willya'?

Bubba

Latest resources

Back