Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's the dumbest thing a crew has ever asked or requested?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Comfort fuel. What a concept.

Hell, I wish I had a comfortable chair to sit in at work. Nevermind doing 50 or 60 releases a day due to sick calls and turnover and central load control while management breathes down my neck about using "so much fuel". I love my job this much: make the "okay" symbol with your right hand. Note index finger and thumb position. That's how much I like it.

Edit: Yes, I am looking to get out so don't even ask.

Your lucky...We do 50-60+ when there ISNT any sick calls!!!

Your lucky...We do 50-60+ when there ISNT any sick calls!!!

We used to do 80 to 90 releases a day and up to 110+ if it was a bad day. It's gotten better. We got rid of having to type crew names on every release, which was a huge improvement on how we do our job. However, now we have to do central load control. One step forward, two steps back. Management says it's a financial decision but that's not entirely true in my opinion.

Sorry to get off topic. Rant over.

Interesting thread. Pilots vs Dispatchers. S'posed to be Pilots AND Dispatchers.

Lamest thing I ever asked a Dispatcher was in '95. I had notified my dispatcher that I was a High Minimums captain, and he promised to "keep an eye on me".

Enroute I ACARS'd him to ask if he knew I was going to HPN. He replied:

"Yes...that is what we do. We know where you are going."

So I sent him a follow-up: "HPN is White Plains"

Him: "Very good. You are reading identifiers just like a seasoned captain."

Me: "My manual says no aircraft larger than DC-9-30 into HPN"

(We were in a -50. A larger aircraft)

Him: "Call me on voice ASAP."

The result: We landed at LGA and hauled the pax away in a charter bus.

Apparently, pilots and dispatchers are humans, and occasionally make mistakes. It's nice to have the other guy looking out for you.

One of my airplanes lost the weather radar enroute to BCT. There were thunderstorms everywhere, and apparently they had a pretty bad ride - though they didn't bother calling me to ask for a reroute.

So they call me on the ground and tell me they're broke. Long story short, Mx says "Could not duplicate, ops check good." So the crew says they're going to depart for PBI, 70nm away...

But there's thunderstorms all over the place, and a Convective SIGMET for most of Florida. So I tell the crew about the severe weather, and voice my concern about operating into known hazardous weather with an unreliable weather radar. The crew doesn't seem to mind.

All of my experience in 121 says "NO GO". But here, I get laughed at. Care to guess what the D.O. told me? "They're not in the thunderstorms, they're under it."
I just had to respond to this. I just flew in from TNCA to PBI. Then onto BCT. PBI is only about 18nm from BCT. And flying under thunderstorms is a WHOLE lot different that through them. I used to fly single pilot freight, and getting around the storms on short hops is not too difficult down low.

Flying through a line of storms up higher is different though.

Just thought I'd add 2 cents.

Just to clarify, you accepted an illegal release then, right? :)

Nope. I fly 'em. The Dispatcher sends them. He don't send it...I don't fly it.

If you're gonna take the role of "Mr. Operational Planner", then you oughta be able to handle it.

I'll be the other guy...the first guy at the scene of the accident.

The release in this case was completely legal. It complied with all FAR's. No NOTAMs restricted the flight. The only prohibition was internal. NWA didn't pay the higher landing fee for the larger version of our DC-9 fleet, so sending that particular model was a boo boo by Dispatch.

What I learned that evening as a new captain was that it is seldom a good idea to trust a dispatcher.

Oh, that stung a little bit.

Not at all. It simply reaffirmed my theory that dispatchers prefer to put the blame on someone else for their screw-ups. He sent the wrong type of aircraft to the airport, and the snappy comeback was, "and you TRUSTED him? Ha Ha! You TRUSTED him!"

If you believe the function of Dispatch is to play "gotcha" with pilots, then you need to find another profession.

Latest resources

Back