Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's the dumbest thing a crew has ever asked or requested?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Of course the 74 has CDL's, just not all the teeny tiny ones that the CRJ has, like all sorts of seals and the world famous aerodynamic sealant. Hell, we can even fly without one engine.

Ohh, and by the way, Mr. Wu is a piece of sheeet, don't even bother responding to him.

The captain and the dispatcher must agree to a course of action. If we can't agree, then there's a problem. If the captain elects to do something unsafe, like fly into known severe turbulence, I am obligated "not to allow a flight to continue into unsafe conditions."

By the same token, If I am unable to establish contact with the flight crew, and there is doubt regarding the safety or security of the aircraft, the dispatcher is authorized to take ANY action he deems necessary in the interest of safety of flight.

Ask the 9/11 dispatchers how they ascertained whether safety of flight was compromised.

Dispatchers and pilots are supposed to be on a TEAM. When numbnuts like PunchtheClown and Mr. Wu come on here and proclaim their ultimate greatness, while at the same time sh*tting all over my profession, what kind of response do you think you're going to get?

The point is, I've declared an emergency on behalf of one of my aircraft, and he thanked me for it when he got on the ground. The only people upset were management, and the ignorant pilots who think they're so "sh*t hot" that they don't need help with the sh*t hits the fan.

Be grateful you have another licensed airman with an extra set of eyes watching over you at every moment. Be grateful that we're just a phone/radio call away to give you any help you may need. Be grateful that we pass the same ATP test your captain had to pass to get his fourth stripe.

A good pilot makes use of all of his resources, and delegates duties in order to accomplish the mission. If AssClown and TooWongFoo don't know how to do that, or refuse to do that, then maybe they should slide their A$$es out from behind that yoke and come be responsible for 17 airplanes at the same time.

TheKack

Well said.... I agree that we should use all resources possible... Just curious.. If your company has a captain thats stupid enough to fly into known severe turbulence and you as a dispatcher cannot allow a flight to continue into unsafe conditions how are you going to stop him?

Well said.... I agree that we should use all resources possible... Just curious.. If your company has a captain thats stupid enough to fly into known severe turbulence and you as a dispatcher cannot allow a flight to continue into unsafe conditions how are you going to stop him?

I'll try and answer that in just a minute, but first, let me tell you about something that happened at work today.

I work for a fractional, and thus I am not really a dispatcher here. I'm a flight follower, and I'm powerless to say or do anything to prevent something stupid from occuring. For instance:

One of my airplanes lost the weather radar enroute to BCT. There were thunderstorms everywhere, and apparently they had a pretty bad ride - though they didn't bother calling me to ask for a reroute.

So they call me on the ground and tell me they're broke. Long story short, Mx says "Could not duplicate, ops check good." So the crew says they're going to depart for PBI, 70nm away...

But there's thunderstorms all over the place, and a Convective SIGMET for most of Florida. So I tell the crew about the severe weather, and voice my concern about operating into known hazardous weather with an unreliable weather radar. The crew doesn't seem to mind.

All of my experience in 121 says "NO GO". But here, I get laughed at. Care to guess what the D.O. told me? "They're not in the thunderstorms, they're under it."

Nice knowing that we're willing to fly through a microburst on short final that was generated by a thunderstorm we could have seen if we had an operable radar.

So, to answer your question:

If the crew was unresponsive to "negotiations", the situation was genuinely unsafe and I truly felt the need to intervene, I'd call the appropriate ATC facility, identify myself, and advise them that I am excercising my emergency authority to prevent the continuation of flight into unsafe conditions.

I'd request that ATC issue an amended clearance to avoid the hazard. If they were unable to accomodate the request, I'd ask them to divert the aircraft to the nearest suitable airport.

That way, if the captain insists on continuing into the unsafe condition, he'll have to declare an emergency to do it.

The Kack

Good stuff Kack..could not agree with you more.....some funny sh$t posted here.....I believe most crews are thankful for our service and watching their 6 for trouble, I do however see where many crews do not really utilize us as well as they could.

I would forget about these two clowns posting here, its just flame bait to get us all pissed off....the bottom line is the regs speak very clearly of our shared responsibilities with the PIC...no one can change that but the FEDS. Over the years I have had to deal with a few of these Captain America's, when it gets out of hand, a well placed call to the Chief Pilot and Dispatch manager usually does the trick.
It's ashame there is no way to prove the shear number of mishaps/incidents or accidents dispatchers prevent on a daily basis in this business...but quiet is a good thing and the result we are all looking for.

There's the problem...

;)

This is completely off topic but...for what its worth, J-41 drivers were the coolest sumbitches I ever dispatched. I used to commute to IAD on the mighty 41 every week. I always sat up front with the cockpit door strapped to my back for a brutal 2hr 10min.

I dispatched the last J-41's up to PQI. I remember the 6 of them departing at the same time and flying up there in loose formation.

I miss DH.

The Kack

Regarding Punchy and Ms Wu: Remember when you started your first real job at age 21 or 22 and you thought you knew everything there was to know about everything after a couple of months? They're just immature kids, that's all. Their posts shouldn't be taken seriously.

Ok, this was supposed to be a fun thread like the one started in the Regionals forum, but aparently, everybody is way too serious in here.

Had an F/O call me enroute to ask how to fish his cell phone outta the crapper.

Have had numerous calls for scores (Super Bowl Sunday is a riot, followed closely by the NCAA Tourney).

Have taken calls for pizza orders, cheeseburger orders, and various other food items.

Loved listening to the corp. guys talk about the various attributes of their inflight hostesses. Late night cruise flights using our air to ground freq. kept us all smiling. Sure would have loved to have met this Jamie lady they were talking about...she sounded "nice".

Latest resources

Back