Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What's the dumbest thing a crew has ever asked or requested?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

whatfuelpolicy

I had a captain tonight demand an alternate because in his FAR's said that FEW005 constitutes a ceiling and he needed to know where to go if he couldn't get in.

The same captain, several months ago, "instructed" me that the 1 2 3 rule also states that an alternate is required if there are CB's in the forecast.

I must have missed these changes to the rules.

I had a captain tonight demand an alternate because in his FAR's said that FEW005 constitutes a ceiling and he needed to know where to go if he couldn't get in.

The same captain, several months ago, "instructed" me that the 1 2 3 rule also states that an alternate is required if there are CB's in the forecast.

I must have missed these changes to the rules.

Here's the FAR in question. The emphasis is mine. An alternate airport is always required unlessthe weather meets the 1-2-3 rule. Nothing about CB's requiring an alternate although it would probably be a good idea to have one with CB's forcast even though it may not be required.

§ 121.619 Alternate airport for destination: IFR or over-the-top: Domestic operations.

(a) No person may dispatch an airplane under IFR or over-the-top unless he lists at least one alternate airport for each destination airport in the dispatch release. When the weather conditions forecast for the destination and first alternate airport are marginal at least one additional alternate must be designated. However, no alternate airport is required if for at least 1 hour before and 1 hour after the estimated time of arrival at the destination airport the appropriate weather reports or forecasts, or any combination of them, indicate—
(1) The ceiling will be at least 2,000 feet above the airport elevation; and
(2) Visibility will be at least 3 miles.
(b) For the purposes of paragraph (a) of this section, the weather conditions at the alternate airport must meet the requirements of §121.625.
(c) No person may dispatch a flight unless he lists each required alternate airport in the dispatch release.

Here's the FAR in question. The emphasis is mine. An alternate airport is always required unlessthe weather meets the 1-2-3 rule. Nothing about CB's requiring an alternate although it would probably be a good idea to have one with CB's forcast even though it may not be required.

§ 121.619 Alternate airport for destination: IFR or over-the-top: Domestic operations.

(a) No person may dispatch an airplane under IFR or over-the-top unless he lists at least one alternate airport for each destination airport in the dispatch release. When the weather conditions forecast for the destination and first alternate airport are marginal at least one additional alternate must be designated. However, no alternate airport is required if for at least 1 hour before and 1 hour after the estimated time of arrival at the destination airport the appropriate weather reports or forecasts, or any combination of them, indicate—
(1) The ceiling will be at least 2,000 feet above the airport elevation; and
(2) Visibility will be at least 3 miles.
(b) For the purposes of paragraph (a) of this section, the weather conditions at the alternate airport must meet the requirements of §121.625.
(c) No person may dispatch a flight unless he lists each required alternate airport in the dispatch release.

I know what the rule says, and it is not in question, but when the forecast calls for P6SM and SCT080CB, not really much reason for an alternate. Maybe I should have stated the forecast in my previous post.

If it's a FEW005/SCT005 I usually put it on. To say that you need an alternate because of CB, that's a bit excessive. However, it is a case by case senerio. We all know we can't play by the "just in case if something happens" game all day long. We need to comply with what the reg says, but we should also play smart and base our decisions on all of the available information at that time and any other special considerations that you might give for that particular airport.

Ok, this was supposed to be a fun thread like the one started in the Regionals forum, but aparently, everybody is way too serious in here.

Well then...one time a crew asked me for an update enroute what the highest bid was going for on his Ebay item. He asked me to look it up. I didn't do it though.

Ok, this was supposed to be a fun thread like the one started in the Regionals forum, but aparently, everybody is way too serious in here.

whould have been funny if pilots asked stupid questions, but since we as pilots are directly related to god, we make no mistakes, and ask no dumb questions.:pimp: :smash: :beer:

I had a crew call me over the radio once and tell me that they forgot to call me to amend the name of the F/A on the release before departure. My response was "yeah, we did that at xxxx Z, we talked about the Colts game last night - remember now?"

The clue-by-four finally hit them over the head where he goes "yeah, I do remember now." I could almost see the captain in flight with the "lights finally on over head look".

I had a captain once insist on alternate fuel for if the destination forecast went below 1-2-3 while enroute (it was forecast right at 2000-3). I told him he didnt need it, he insisted that he needed an alternate if the WX goes below 1-2-3 enroute. I then asked him if he considered continuing to a standard-ILS airport (mins: 200-1/2) as an unsafe condition with no alternate fuel, for the 1-2-3 rule only applies predeparture, and continuing flight in unsafe conditions applies inflight, and I hardly consider it unsafe to continue towards an airport with the 1500 broken tempo in an amended forecast to be unsafe. I really hated the NWS weenies when they would put TEMPO BKN019 in the forecast.

Latest resources

Back