What was Airtran thinking?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wndshr said:
Now THAT is funny....a guy with 2000 hours who thinks he has got it figured out! Sorry Klhoard....couldn't resist! You are still playing in a sandbox that is for upperclassmen....come back when you get some more experience!! LOL
If you guys are in the "upperclass" sandbox, then I'm glad I'm not there. In case you haven't noticed, somebody done took a big 'ole dump in your sandbox. I'll stay where I'm at, thank you!!
BTW - check my profile now, do you feel better??

hot topic

Like stated above, it is not the pilot's fault for the jumpseat policy of an airline. I work at FedEx. Our management has used our jumpseats against the pilot group. What IS the pilot's fault is DEFENDING such policies. I fully understand everyone's desire to defend their company, but you must recognize crap when you see it. Our pilot group at FedEx has fought the jumpseat issue with passion.

Everyone talks about jumpseats as a priviledge, but when it comes down to it, it is a common courtesy. We, as a profesion, rely heavily on jumpseats to get to and from work. Many guys, like me, live in domicle, but there are plenty of commuters who depend on such jumpseats. To charge these pilots to get to work is not the norm, but quickly could become the norm if it becomes commonly accepted.

It would be nice to discuss issues like this that are set by management without digressing to personal attacks. I, for one, am against charging for jumpseats.

Goose17

Goose17 said:
What IS the pilot's fault is DEFENDING such policies. I fully understand everyone's desire to defend their company, but you must recognize crap when you see it. Our pilot group at FedEx has fought the jumpseat issue with passion.

I have NEVER heard an Airtran pilot defend the charging of $25 for the extra seats in the back. To a man I have only heard them appologize for the policy. But again, if you are nice to the gate agents, they will often waive the fee. I don't use the jumpseat much, but the times that I have on AT I have never been charged the $25.

really not an issue for me-- i rarely jumpseat. just thought i would offer another observation about this thread.

seems like some may be upset with airtran's policy, say a group like a 121 fo that is working for less than 25 bucks an hour. paying for the jumpseat would have a greater economic impact on them.

note: i am not commenting on AT's js policy. commenting on the issue of lowering the bar.

fbt

I don't see how anyone could possibly defend this policy.Why do airtran pilots always take every criticism personally? It is a crappy policy, just admit it Ty.

Would everyone feel better if they changed their policy to be:

We only take jumpseaters equal to the amount of jumpseats in the cockpit. All other pilots desiring transportation on our flight will be offered an industry discounted pass costing $25.

Don't think of it as a charged jumpseat. A couple of years back, Spirit charged me $15 for a pass to get somewhere when their jumpseat was full. I thought that was a pretty good discount.

Unlimited jumpseat is a pretty new thing. It's a privilege, not a right. UAL is just now instituting it - not sure exactly when it goes into effect. Let's say for discussion that it's not yet - why aren't you flaming UAL for turning away dudes once they fill the cockpit jumpseats? They've been doing it for years. So has Delta. I've stood at UAL gates watching a half-full aircraft push back with 1 jumpseater who got there ahead of me. At least Airtran has a second option if you're not first in line.

Not quite sure when Gen-X or whoever decided that jumpseats mean seats in the back of the aircraft. :rolleyes:
It's nice when it happens but quit your whining or move to your domicile.

Oh, and yes, I'm a commuter.

Last edited:
I think the reason the AT guys are defending their company is because some jack-ass comes on here and starts bashing a policy that while not good, is a far cry from some of the other carriers, AA, DL, and UAL untill recently! Is paying $25 for a seat in the back for commuters a chity deal, kinda, but for those of you guys who don't like it, realize that you are still paying less than what some other airlines employees pay to ride on their own airline. I agree that unlimited JS would be nice on all carriers, but until it is, why not bash the carriers that only allow the number of jumpseaters as jumpseats on the a/c. I can think of numerous times I would given my left nut to pay $25 on DL or AA to get home when the a/c was empty, instead I had to pay $40 for a hotel room so I could get home the next day. Is it a great policy, NO, is it the worst policy, NO. At least if AT has an open seat you will get it!

Guys, Guys, Guys. Arnt we all on the same team here? Were all pilots. Most of us commute, some dont. Each company has its own policy and for the most part they work nicely. Individual pilots are not to blame for corporate policy. Obviously we each are bound by our sops and corporate policy and do our best to remain in their limits. The guys from AT have said they dont like the policy, but they work with it best they can. They are just trying to feed their families like the rest of us. Bashing them unmercifully on a public forum where you can hide your identity does nothing but contrive contempt and further degrade our profession. I'm proud of the fact my company will let as many jumpseats as their are empty seats, and I'll fill every dang one of them if I have to. I know that each of these jumpseaters is just trying to get to work, and/or trying to get home to catch his kids ball game or event. To all of the American crews that have treated me with respect and unselfishly shared your cockpit, I thank you. It is sincerely appreciated, and please know I return the favor to all of your brethren I carry up and down the east coast. Folks we are all in this together, and the sooner we realize this the sooner we can make headway for our profession.

Goose17 Said it best "To charge these pilots to get to work is not the norm, but quickly could become the norm if it becomes commonly accepted."

As long as the AT guys/gals are working on getting it changed to reflect the changing industry standard.....I'm sure it's an uphill battle with Managment.

In the meantime, we'll carry as many AT guys/gals as we have seats (including F/A jumpseats) FREE

atrdriver said:
That's about the stupidest thing that I have read on here in a while.

Mr ATR pilot, it is much more stupid to come on here berate someone's opinion especially when it is in accord with most pilots on this thread. I think you may be better served by saying "I disagree with you"? Didn't they teach manners at ERU? With your attitude, I hope I don't see you pass by my hiring board.

Latest resources

Back