What was Airtran thinking?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
USMC319 said:
Mr ATR pilot, it is much more stupid to come on here berate someone's opinion especially when it is in accord with most pilots on this thread. I think you may be better served by saying "I disagree with you"? Didn't they teach manners at ERU? With your attitude, I hope I don't see you pass by my hiring board.

Whether you like what I wrote or not, it is assinine to say that a company policy reflects badly on the pilots of that company. That's like saying that DAL's jumpseat policy reflects badly on the DAL pilots. It doesn't make them look bad, it makes the company policy look bad. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but you need to understand the difference between something that is under the control of the pilot group and something that isn't. And I really don't know what they teach at ERU, I didn't go there, but thanks for asking.

FNG_that's me said:
I think that most would agree with your statement, but that doesn't validate that either policy is where the industry standard should be.

This is just another example of management trying to make the job less appetizing to those who have standards. They hope that what's left is a bunch of pilots that have to take whatever they are fed...which won't be much at this rate.

I agree with your statement too, but the pilot who started the thread shouldn't be bashing Airtran. They are doing something better than DAL and CAL and I don't see the bashing going that way.

We pilots can find everything and anything to rip each other apart:p !!!

Granted the policy sux, but the fact is that it's there. I'll bet my left nut that paying $25 is far better than possibly being stuck at an airport, while you could be on your way home. (I used to be a commuter and would gladly pay a measly $25 to get home!!!!)

Like everything else in this indusrty, you don't have to like it, but you do have to deal with it. For those of you who can't, may I suggest a career change.

My airline does take multiple jumpseaters. I had no idea that any "fee" was being charged by any airline that we had a jumpseat agreement with. So whenever I have 2 seats open and 3 jumpseaters and one of them happens to be from Airtran, guess what? YOU AIN"T GOING. I don't care what kind of negotiations you are in.

Chuck Yogourt said:
My airline does take multiple jumpseaters. I had no idea that any "fee" was being charged by any airline that we had a jumpseat agreement with. So whenever I have 2 seats open and 3 jumpseaters and one of them happens to be from Airtran, guess what? YOU AIN"T GOING. I don't care what kind of negotiations you are in.

You go man!! We need more people with your attitude to improve this industry!!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Chuck,

Next time I need to get to MKE for some sun 'n fun on the weekend I'll keep that in mind and plan another ride.

I don't know why you and Ty insist on having this little battle regarding penis size. The rest of the pilots at both your airline and mine are just trying to do their jobs day in and day out and both of you are embarassing us.

IAHERJ

IAHERJ said:
Thanks Chuck,

Next time I need to get to MKE for some sun 'n fun on the weekend I'll keep that in mind and plan another ride.

I don't know why you and Ty insist on having this little battle regarding penis size. The rest of the pilots at both your airline and mine are just trying to do their jobs day in and day out and both of you are embarassing us.

IAHERJ

Who said anything about Ty . I think the fact that your airline charges down right sucks and you know it. We haul a lot of you guys and you are always welcome but you need to make a change. As for Ty, he is the village idiot at your airline. Nothing I can do about that.

Last edited:
I agree we need to make a change. We are indeed attempting to do so at this very instant. Our policy is still better than several major airlines out there today and nobody is starting threads threatening DAL pilots and their inferior jumpseat policy. Why are we targeting AirTran? Only about 10% of the second+ offline jumpseaters even get charged the fee, and the fee will be gone in the upcomming year. Give it a rest. I like your airline and always have. Never flown on them but might use them out of HOU someday soon. I hope to see you there.

IAHERJ

atrdriver said:
Whether you like what I wrote or not, it is assinine to say that a company policy reflects badly on the pilots of that company. That's like saying that DAL's jumpseat policy reflects badly on the DAL pilots. It doesn't make them look bad, it makes the company policy look bad. Sorry if I hurt your feelings, but you need to understand the difference between something that is under the control of the pilot group and something that isn't.

ATR driver & Steeler Fan,

Please don't worry about hurting my feelings boys, my so called "thin skin" that you allege is covered with battle scars courtesy of the Marine Corps and 20 years in this business. Please be sorry for someone else.

Now then, what I mean by bad policy reflecting poorly on the pilots is simply perspective, meaning that most of our pilot groups control the jumpseat policy rather than Bob in accounting. Therefore, when a jumpseat is denied or charged for, the jumpseater is not usually cursing Bob, he is cursing the policy which is represented by the crew (because it wasn't like this before). Again, just perspective.

BTW thanks for the lecture Steeler Fan. I'll be sure to write only "smart" opinions from here on out so that I don't upset ATR and require you to defend him.

IAHERJ said:

IAHERJ

There's no penis contest here, it wouldn't be fair . . . Chuckie has the biggest case of E.D. this side of Bob Dole . . . . that's why he's such a fargghin' corksmoker.

And for all of you guys who are so "up in arms" about our jumpseat policy . . . I used to care about changing it, but when I read the ramblings here on this subject, it makes me realize that our negotiating efforts should probably be spent on things that will benefit our pilot group instead of fighting for something for a bunch of ingrates.

Don't worry, we'll continue to take one offline, just like DAL, AAL, NWA, and most others. . . and if someone beats you to it, we'll still offer to sell you a walk-up pass for $25., which is hardly ever collected, anyway.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back