What was Airtran thinking?

relief tube

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 24, 2003
Posts
999
Total Time
9000
I've never been one to start a fire on this board, but this was just stupid and needed to be addressed.

You better bring your credit card the next time you want to jumpseat on Airspam. The first JS gets on, free, like every other carrier so graciously does, but if you're the number 2 guy, they charge you 25 bucks plus tax just to catch a ride home.

I said the heck with that, and waited another hour for a delta flight, that I got on for free. What a deal!

What a joke. Now I know technically such a system gives you more flexibility than the few remaining airlines that allow only 1 JS, but to make money on pilots just trying to get to work, the penny-pincher who thought up that idea should be ashamed.

This is not a hit against the pilot group, but your management that is showing no class in trying to turn a profit in an area it shouldn't even be touching.

The funny part is some stupid marketing campaign in ATL has an Airtran fuel truck driving around painted with the saying (dont quote me) "Other airlines use the same fuel, so why do they charge more?"

Well they charge more because they charge other pilots just to sit in their open seats. A very sad advance in the race to the bottom.

BTW, that satellite radio they have on board, not even half the channels worked.
 

sf260pilot

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2003
Posts
150
Total Time
4770
I know this is wrong to feel this way, but, it cost me more than $25 to catch a ten mile cab ride home from the airport. If Airtran was the only option and I really needed to get home then I am worth a lot more than $25/hour.
 

cl65capt

Just say NO
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Posts
270
Total Time
enough
I shouldnt even dignify this with a response but here goes. There have been quite a few times I would have gladly paid $25 to catch a ride home on Delta but instead was left at the gate while a plane left with 50+ empty seats because someone beat me to the jumpseat. So while $25 for being the second jumpseater may suck at least you have the option.
 

RedDogC130

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2005
Posts
1,329
Total Time
enough
well at least delta takes as many as they can fit in the back. I think they are hurting more than airspan. They took 3 of us last Friday
 

sf260pilot

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 6, 2003
Posts
150
Total Time
4770
Hey Pedro.....It would be more productive to show the post and not the cross posting message.
 

Pedro

Not too happy...
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Posts
401
Total Time
$$$$$$
sf260pilot said:
Hey Pedro.....It would be more productive to show the post and not the cross posting message.
He started this same thread in another forum. There was one a while ago about the same deal, but don't know where it is.
 

I.P. Freley

I like people food
Joined
Dec 26, 2001
Posts
2,038
Total Time
Enough
relief tube said:
You better bring your credit card the next time you want to jumpseat on Airspam.
And you'd better plan on finding another way home if you have the balls to refer to the company as "airspam" in the presence of anyone who has the go/no-go decision to give you a free (or almost free) ride.

My guess? You DON'T have the balls. You save that for an anonymous message board.
 

FR8mastr

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 4, 2002
Posts
803
Total Time
13000+
Its unbelievable to watch you guys try and justify this crap. The last time I saw this kind of dancing was when we had the guys trying to justify why they had spent 10,000 for a job. "I'm on the fast track" "I am just lucky to have a job" give me a freaking break. No one on this board said one bad thing about the pilots, they only claimed that this policy stinks. And yet all the rats come screaming out of the holes claiming how lucky we are to only be charged 25. Well why not 50 or maybe even 100? This is the exact mentality that is driving whats left of the industry all the way down the can! Maybe if we pay 50 bucs and help clean the cabin upon landing. Hey, at least we can go to work right. What ever happened to right and wrong? for years pilots have given this curtesy to other pilots, it was one of the things those before us fought for and earned. Not anymore the new generation sans backbone will give that away also. Next time you ask yourself why we are in a race to the bottom, please refer to this thread.
 

Ty Webb

Hostage to Fortune
Joined
Dec 10, 2001
Posts
6,525
Total Time
11000+
All hail Fr8mastr (baiter), our new Flightinfo Idiot.

Hey, Fr8MB, make sure you let me know your feelings next time you want a ride. I'll be happy to deposit your ungrateful hide back on the jetway, and put your name up in the Crew Room, so the rest of our pilots know how you feel.

I'm going to go out on a limb, here, and guess that if you had got to good ol' Delta and found that they already had one off-line jumpseater and so you were s.o.l. you'd be crying all the way to the Wellesley that they should have offered to sell you a walk-up pass like AirTran.
 
Last edited:

FR8mastr

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 4, 2002
Posts
803
Total Time
13000+
Hey ty I would try and come up with a nifty response to make you look silly but you have done it all by yourself. That will be $25 please, oh yea and your lucky to pay it.
 

thruthemurk

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 13, 2003
Posts
224
Total Time
16000+
FR8mastr said:
Its unbelievable to watch you guys try and justify this crap. The last time I saw this kind of dancing was when we had the guys trying to justify why they had spent 10,000 for a job. "I'm on the fast track" "I am just lucky to have a job" give me a freaking break. No one on this board said one bad thing about the pilots, they only claimed that this policy stinks. And yet all the rats come screaming out of the holes claiming how lucky we are to only be charged 25. Well why not 50 or maybe even 100? This is the exact mentality that is driving whats left of the industry all the way down the can! Maybe if we pay 50 bucs and help clean the cabin upon landing. Hey, at least we can go to work right. What ever happened to right and wrong? for years pilots have given this curtesy to other pilots, it was one of the things those before us fought for and earned. Not anymore the new generation sans backbone will give that away also. Next time you ask yourself why we are in a race to the bottom, please refer to this thread.
Fr8mastr,

You nailed it. A bad policy is just that. These same weak sisters are the first to jump on what is wrong with the other airlines' policies - as if that somehow justifies their own policy. Jumpseats are for pilots and should transcend the petty BS tribal sniping that often result. The non-pilots who implement these policies (please tell me it was not a pilot's idea) convince the starry eyed that their airline can do no wrong. When pilots start considering themselves pilots first and banner wavers second (whether the banner is red, green or blue means nothing) this whole profession would be a lot better off.

Murk
 

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Posts
4,911
Total Time
+/-13k
A little historical perspective for all of you "121 FO's" out there.

In the mid 80's a literal handful of airlines even allowed offline jumpseaters. AA, Delta and NWA were the last to get the PRIVILEGE for offliners. UAL wasn't far ahead of them. USAir, Piedmont, EAL, PAA and TWA led the way in this respect by extending the PRIVILEGE of jumpseats to offline pilots.

Unlimited jumpseats were unofficially offered by Piedmont and occasionally by USAir and SWA. But that ended when the FAA cracked down.

So, "121 FO", be happy you have the PRIVILEGE of jumpseating at all (let alone being able to ride as the second jumpseater for virtually nothing). A lot of people over the past couple of decades have busted their a$$es to win, yes win in contract negotiations, that PRIVILEGE for you. :rolleyes: TC
 

FR8mastr

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 4, 2002
Posts
803
Total Time
13000+
717 that is exactly what I said in my post please read it again if you missed it. That is why it upsets me when I see people all to willing to give it up. I am trying to fight just like those before me to keep it. But instead I get berated by people defending a bad policy. Go figure I say its bad, and I am wrong but the old timers that said the same thing, good.
 

FR8mastr

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 4, 2002
Posts
803
Total Time
13000+
717 I tried to ignore the 121 FO thing, but I cant resist. What possible difference does what seat I'm in make?
 

Ty Webb

Hostage to Fortune
Joined
Dec 10, 2001
Posts
6,525
Total Time
11000+
Hey, Fr8 MB, please tell us all about your current employer's jumpseat policy, and how many 121 pilots are able to take advantage of it, and while you're at it, tell us all about your tireless efforts to make sure that your company offers a viable jumpseat opportunity to the rest of us that haul your ungrateful carcass around.


Yeah, that's what I thought.
 

FR8mastr

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 4, 2002
Posts
803
Total Time
13000+
Ty you've got it all figured out dont ya? You really should think before you post, or at least if you are trying to slam someone verify who you think they are.
 

IB6 UB9

I don't Remember
Joined
Oct 2, 2003
Posts
486
Total Time
10000+
AA717driver said:
A little historical perspective for all of you "121 FO's" out there.

In the mid 80's a literal handful of airlines even allowed offline jumpseaters. AA, Delta and NWA were the last to get the PRIVILEGE for offliners. UAL wasn't far ahead of them. USAir, Piedmont, EAL, PAA and TWA led the way in this respect by extending the PRIVILEGE of jumpseats to offline pilots.

Unlimited jumpseats were unofficially offered by Piedmont and occasionally by USAir and SWA. But that ended when the FAA cracked down.

So, "121 FO", be happy you have the PRIVILEGE of jumpseating at all (let alone being able to ride as the second jumpseater for virtually nothing). A lot of people over the past couple of decades have busted their a$$es to win, yes win in contract negotiations, that PRIVILEGE for you. :rolleyes: TC
Why is the jumpseat being used as a negotiating tool? "We are cutting your pay here a little, but in return you can take a couple of offline jumpseaters".
Sorry Ty, can't agree with you here. IMHO, if there is a seat open and a pilot at the gate, he gets it...FREE. If I have a 100 seats open and 100 jumpseaters, they all ride...for nothing. BTW, when is enough enough with the NWA thing? We carry a lot of their people, and it is becoming more than just an incident or two over there where we are being denied. Three last week. That is bullshat.
 

Jimdandy

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Posts
124
Total Time
6000+
First off there are plenty of 121 carriers that allow unlimited jumpseaters for FREE.

Airtran needs to fix this. I take airtran pilots all the time out of atlanta and we many times have multiple ones. You would think they would return the favor.

But I guess not.
 
Top