• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What was Airtran thinking?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All hail Fr8mastr (baiter), our new Flightinfo Idiot.

Hey, Fr8MB, make sure you let me know your feelings next time you want a ride. I'll be happy to deposit your ungrateful hide back on the jetway, and put your name up in the Crew Room, so the rest of our pilots know how you feel.

I'm going to go out on a limb, here, and guess that if you had got to good ol' Delta and found that they already had one off-line jumpseater and so you were s.o.l. you'd be crying all the way to the Wellesley that they should have offered to sell you a walk-up pass like AirTran.

Last edited:
Hey ty I would try and come up with a nifty response to make you look silly but you have done it all by yourself. That will be $25 please, oh yea and your lucky to pay it.

FR8mastr said:
Its unbelievable to watch you guys try and justify this crap. The last time I saw this kind of dancing was when we had the guys trying to justify why they had spent 10,000 for a job. "I'm on the fast track" "I am just lucky to have a job" give me a freaking break. No one on this board said one bad thing about the pilots, they only claimed that this policy stinks. And yet all the rats come screaming out of the holes claiming how lucky we are to only be charged 25. Well why not 50 or maybe even 100? This is the exact mentality that is driving whats left of the industry all the way down the can! Maybe if we pay 50 bucs and help clean the cabin upon landing. Hey, at least we can go to work right. What ever happened to right and wrong? for years pilots have given this curtesy to other pilots, it was one of the things those before us fought for and earned. Not anymore the new generation sans backbone will give that away also. Next time you ask yourself why we are in a race to the bottom, please refer to this thread.

Fr8mastr,

You nailed it. A bad policy is just that. These same weak sisters are the first to jump on what is wrong with the other airlines' policies - as if that somehow justifies their own policy. Jumpseats are for pilots and should transcend the petty BS tribal sniping that often result. The non-pilots who implement these policies (please tell me it was not a pilot's idea) convince the starry eyed that their airline can do no wrong. When pilots start considering themselves pilots first and banner wavers second (whether the banner is red, green or blue means nothing) this whole profession would be a lot better off.

Murk

A little historical perspective for all of you "121 FO's" out there.

In the mid 80's a literal handful of airlines even allowed offline jumpseaters. AA, Delta and NWA were the last to get the PRIVILEGE for offliners. UAL wasn't far ahead of them. USAir, Piedmont, EAL, PAA and TWA led the way in this respect by extending the PRIVILEGE of jumpseats to offline pilots.

Unlimited jumpseats were unofficially offered by Piedmont and occasionally by USAir and SWA. But that ended when the FAA cracked down.

So, "121 FO", be happy you have the PRIVILEGE of jumpseating at all (let alone being able to ride as the second jumpseater for virtually nothing). A lot of people over the past couple of decades have busted their a$$es to win, yes win in contract negotiations, that PRIVILEGE for you. :rolleyes: TC

717 that is exactly what I said in my post please read it again if you missed it. That is why it upsets me when I see people all to willing to give it up. I am trying to fight just like those before me to keep it. But instead I get berated by people defending a bad policy. Go figure I say its bad, and I am wrong but the old timers that said the same thing, good.

717 I tried to ignore the 121 FO thing, but I cant resist. What possible difference does what seat I'm in make?

Hey, Fr8 MB, please tell us all about your current employer's jumpseat policy, and how many 121 pilots are able to take advantage of it, and while you're at it, tell us all about your tireless efforts to make sure that your company offers a viable jumpseat opportunity to the rest of us that haul your ungrateful carcass around.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

Ty you've got it all figured out dont ya? You really should think before you post, or at least if you are trying to slam someone verify who you think they are.

AA717driver said:
A little historical perspective for all of you "121 FO's" out there.

In the mid 80's a literal handful of airlines even allowed offline jumpseaters. AA, Delta and NWA were the last to get the PRIVILEGE for offliners. UAL wasn't far ahead of them. USAir, Piedmont, EAL, PAA and TWA led the way in this respect by extending the PRIVILEGE of jumpseats to offline pilots.

Unlimited jumpseats were unofficially offered by Piedmont and occasionally by USAir and SWA. But that ended when the FAA cracked down.

So, "121 FO", be happy you have the PRIVILEGE of jumpseating at all (let alone being able to ride as the second jumpseater for virtually nothing). A lot of people over the past couple of decades have busted their a$$es to win, yes win in contract negotiations, that PRIVILEGE for you. :rolleyes: TC

Why is the jumpseat being used as a negotiating tool? "We are cutting your pay here a little, but in return you can take a couple of offline jumpseaters".
Sorry Ty, can't agree with you here. IMHO, if there is a seat open and a pilot at the gate, he gets it...FREE. If I have a 100 seats open and 100 jumpseaters, they all ride...for nothing. BTW, when is enough enough with the NWA thing? We carry a lot of their people, and it is becoming more than just an incident or two over there where we are being denied. Three last week. That is bullshat.

First off there are plenty of 121 carriers that allow unlimited jumpseaters for FREE.

Airtran needs to fix this. I take airtran pilots all the time out of atlanta and we many times have multiple ones. You would think they would return the favor.

But I guess not.

Latest resources

Back