What was Airtran thinking?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Steeler Fan said:
Individual cases of people being denied the JS should be elevated to JS committees for both airlines. I don't know who was right or wrong, but I do know that I've seen 3 things happen (some more frequently than others) in terms of jumpseating gone bad:

1. JS (in the back) never introduces himself to Captain and asks for a ride
2. JS is either not dressed appropriately (sandles and Jimmy Buffett shirt and shorts).
3. The Captain is a jerk, period

All of these are unacceptable, and if our pilots have wronged any of your friends, I'm sorry, because that's not professional at all. However, it's not always the Captain's fault, because some jumpseaters just don't get it.

This issue was brought to the JS commitee at NWA. In a nutshell, they said that the Captain has the final word, we can't do anything about it. These bad apples obviously don't commute.:confused:

klhoard said:
That's not the point. You were flipping Ty a ration of crap because the jumpseats were being used by AirTran management as a bargaining tool.
We'll see what happens to your work rules once the legacies start putting the heat on JetBlue and y'all have a few more money losing quarters. It still cracks me up when you guys talk about your "pocket sessions" and your management "listens" to the pilot group.

Let me guess, first airline? Let me know when the legacies are in a position to put some heat on us will you...I'll try to be ready.

I work for AirTran... The policy is trying to be changed by the pilots. We recognize the fact that it is not the norm. We (the pilots) unfortunately don't make policy. Sorry you had to pay the $25 but at least it is a seat you can you use compared to a few other carriers who only take one offline jumpseater period.

-TC

wndshr said:
klhoard said:
That's not the point. You were flipping Ty a ration of crap because the jumpseats were being used by AirTran management as a bargaining tool.
We'll see what happens to your work rules once the legacies start putting the heat on JetBlue and y'all have a few more money losing quarters. It still cracks me up when you guys talk about your "pocket sessions" and your management "listens" to the pilot group.

Now THAT is funny....a guy with 2000 hours who thinks he has got it figured out! Sorry Klhoard....couldn't resist! You are still playing in a sandbox that is for upperclassmen....come back when you get some more experience!! LOL

But it's military time so he "really" has 4000 right?

(Tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Last edited:
Not long ago there were few commuters and even fewer off-line commuters. I used to carry a stack of ID 90s in case I didn't get a jumpseat. $25 for a ride outta town beats spending the night or missing your trip. Just becasue you choose to commute doesn't mean you have the right to a free ride on someone elses' airline.

At my airline an off-line jumpseater can sit in first class for free but I would have to pay to sit in first. How fair is that? The company can and will charge whatever it wants. What's it worth to you?

Not everyone can reciprocate equally. Would you degrade your pay or work rules for this? Airlines don't just offer unlimited jumseats to be nice. Someone has to give up something. Should the AirTran guys give up something for this? No. It would just lower the bar for the rest of us.

If commuting is too expensive for you try moving to your base and see how many drives to the airport you get on $25 of gas.

Company policy at AirTran is Dictated by management, this includes the jumpseat. Management announced one day that this was the new policy, it was not part of any negotiation. We (The Pilot Group) Expressed our objection to the 25.00 charge. AirTran management does'nt care about you riding on us for free. Just like your management does'nt care about my ability to get on your jumpseat. Offline jumpseating is a priviledge not a right.

Last edited:
IB6 UB9 said:
Why is the jumpseat being used as a negotiating tool? "We are cutting your pay here a little, but in return you can take a couple of offline jumpseaters".
Sorry Ty, can't agree with you here. IMHO, if there is a seat open and a pilot at the gate, he gets it...FREE. If I have a 100 seats open and 100 jumpseaters, they all ride...for nothing. BTW, when is enough enough with the NWA thing? We carry a lot of their people, and it is becoming more than just an incident or two over there where we are being denied. Three last week. That is bullshat.

Got news for you, the seats in teh back of the airplane belong to the company, not the Captain. Many carriers, mine included, negotiated unlimited jumpseats for offline pilots. But not all have, and not all companies are willing to give those seats to the Captain for jumpseat use. While I don't really like AT's policy of $25 for other J/Sers, if that's the choice, then it's the choice. It's not the Captains decision. All that having been said, many gate agents will waive the $25 fee.

USMC319 said:
Its a bad policy guys. I can't imagine that your pilot group came up with this duzzy but it reflects poorly on you, so I would find the "bean counter" over in the GO and get it changed. I've had multiple Airtran pilots and FAs on the same flight before...no charge.

That's about the stupidest thing that I have read on here in a while. How on earth does it reflect poorly on the pilots of AT that their company has a bad policy? Does it reflect poorly on the DAL pilots that they can only carry as many jumpseaters as the a/c has jumpseats? That's their company policy, and the pilots don't have a lot to say about it. Yes they can negotiate for a change, and I am sure that they have tried, but it is very possible that the company is demanding more than they are able or willing to give.

IB6 UB9 said:
Let me guess, first airline? Let me know when the legacies are in a position to put some heat on us will you...I'll try to be ready.
I won't have to, your management will tell you. . . .

Latest resources

Back