What was Airtran thinking?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
USMC319 said:
Mr ATR pilot, it is much more stupid to come on here berate someone's opinion especially when it is in accord with most pilots on this thread. I think you may be better served by saying "I disagree with you"? Didn't they teach manners at ERU? With your attitude, I hope I don't see you pass by my hiring board.

Are you implying that you'd blackball a pilot because he doesn't agree with you about AirTran's jumpseat policy or because what he typed hurt your feelings?

By the way, here it is:

"That's about the stupidest thing that I have read on here in a while."

He didn't attack YOU, he attacked your opinion. He never called YOU stupid, so if you think he's berating you, maybe you should get some thicker skin. That being said, since it looks like you served in the Marines, THANK YOU for your service to our country and good luck with your airline career.

YGASF said:
And what have YOU done Ty to get YOUR company to change it's rediculous policy?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

;)
And what about all those ridiculous policies out there too…. Let’s not for get those for goodness sakes!!!

cl65capt said:
I shouldnt even dignify this with a response but here goes. There have been quite a few times I would have gladly paid $25 to catch a ride home on Delta but instead was left at the gate while a plane left with 50+ empty seats because someone beat me to the jumpseat. So while $25 for being the second jumpseater may suck at least you have the option.

ASA takes unlimited jumpseaters......FOR FREE

ID-90s are also $25 OW...

I don't think this guy was charged for JUMPSEATING, I think this was an ID-90 this guy paid for on AirTran, and the agent didn't make that clear. I have bought many ID-90s on AirTran and they are actually Interline Service Charge tickets that are flat rate $25 regardless of what two cities you fly between. Perhaps they have a single jumpseat policy, and everyone else outside the company (including spouses/children) are sold an Interline Service Charge Space Available ticket.

I personally figure that $25 is much cheaper than the gas I would pay to drive the same distance, so I'm way ahead when you also factor in the time saved.

This thread is a perfect example of how many pilots never seem to be happy.

gt1900 said:
I think the reason the AT guys are defending their company is because some jack-ass comes on here and starts bashing a policy that while not good, is a far cry from some of the other carriers, AA, DL, and UAL untill recently!

Ding, Ding, Ding . . . . we have a winner.

GAS Grass or ASS, Nobody Rides For Free!!!

The next sticker for AirTrans Cockpit Door.

Sorry Guys, I couldnt resist. LOL

I'll throw in my .02 here. I've JS on AirTran many times over the past 3 years. They ALWAYS treat me very well and even apologize when there's not a business class seat available. I've been charged the $25 fee once even though there have been many occassions when I wasn't the first JS. Even when that happened, the CA was very apologetic. If you have a problem with their policy, you have a couple choices: 1) Don't fly AirTran; or 2) Get your JS coordinator to try to negotiate a better deal. I'm guessing that your airline isn't offering something that AirTran doesn't feel their pilots can't live without. Bottom line here - let's not take out the airline's policy on the flight crew. And if I have to pay $25 to get to where I'm going, that's a small price to pay. Thanks for everything you've done for me AirTran.

Everytime I'm flying one of the flights to a city that frequently has multiple jumpseaters I go up to the gate and put my credit card down on the gate podium. When the agent asks me what I'm doing I explain to her that I'd like to pay for any second jumpseater's fee should she feel the need to charge this person per the policy. He or she almost always hands me my card back and states that he/she will take care of anyone that comes up.

I commute on Delta each week to work. There have been many nights where I would have loved to pay 25.oo for a ride home verses another night in ATL. Instead I've whitnessed many MD-80's push with over 20 seats open on DL. I hate our policy at AirTran but we're in negotiations as we speak and I sincerely hope this gets changed as a side letter to our next contract.

IAHERJ

I like Airtan's policy way better than DAL, CAL, and whoever doesn't take multiple jumpseaters. I've been stuck in ATL a few times, watching DAL planes pushback with seats open.

Pedro said:
I like Airtan's policy way better than DAL, CAL, and whoever doesn't take multiple jumpseaters. I've been stuck in ATL a few times, watching DAL planes pushback with seats open.

I think that most would agree with your statement, but that doesn't validate that either policy is where the industry standard should be.

This is just another example of management trying to make the job less appetizing to those who have standards. They hope that what's left is a bunch of pilots that have to take whatever they are fed...which won't be much at this rate.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back