Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A Clarification

Everyone,

I want to make sure that none of you think that I would urge you to strike in this industry, in this environment. I would, in fact, urge just the opposite. All of my comments previously in this thread involve trying to explain what happened at Eastern and why it happened, and should in no way be construed as a recommendation to do the same thing.

As Boeingman said some time back, there are just too many potential SCABs and people who have Publisher's point of view for a strike to be a viable weapon at this time (except, perhaps under very limited and specific circumstances). One caution though, get very familiar with the Railway Labor Act (RLA) and understand how management can use it to force a strike if they are so inclined.

Another thing: I don't think Publisher is a bad person. He is simply a person, and point of view, that we need to understand.

Regards, from someone who has been there and never wants to be there again,
FD109

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for withdrawing the Mary thing.

My wife and I were not married during the time we are talking about. I was a COO in a Miami company and flew Eastern all the time.

A customer and I bought a plane and decided to learn to fly and all we could about aviation. In addition, I ate lunch most days in Miami Springs at the little place behind what I think was the Kings Inn back then where a good many of Eastern people did. My office was next to Miami Center.

As I said earlier, it is hard to look at this without recognizing the history of regulation versus deregulation. You have also made the assumption that wage would not have been driven by supply and demand of qualified personnel. I freely admit that the union did drive up wages but merely suggest that the regulated industry was a reason they got where they did.

Eastern will always stand to me as a management/labor situation that went horribly astray from any kind of reasonableness on any side.

Re: Right

publisher said:
I do not label you guys for participating in a situation which is organized and pays well. Fine with me. Good for you. Just don't ask me to support it because it is of no interest or concern to me.

If you don't have any interest or concern, why do you seem so interested? Why do you always have to input to the discussion?

Also, what would you have us do? We don't participate in the situation because we all grew up dreaming to be union activists, we participate because we all grew up dreaming to fly airplanes. We are part of the "situation" because it existed before 99% of us were born.

Would you like for all of the pilots who have been tainted by union influence to just quit?

Instead of just being the constant contrarian, how about proposing a solution. Maybe you could give a dissertation on the reason Freedom Airlines will be a positive influence on our industry. (no sarcasm intended)

I can be convinced to change my mind, and I'm sure that others could also be convinced; but you won't accomplish any convincing by just telling us that we don't understand the game.

regards,
8N

BTW, If you really want to effect change, you'll stop trying to convince us, that someone who crosses a picket line in order to take the job away from one of us, is a hero.

Re: Thanks

publisher said:
Thanks for withdrawing the Mary thing.

As I said earlier, it is hard to look at this without recognizing the history of regulation versus deregulation... I freely admit that the union did drive up wages but merely suggest that the regulated industry was a reason they got where they did.

Eastern will always stand to me as a management/labor situation that went horribly astray from any kind of reasonableness on any side.

Well dammit Publisher,

You did it again: You made me agree with you on something (well most of it)! I'm getting whiplash!

Regards,
FD109

Congratulations, PassingThru! After viewing your profile, I have come to the conclusion that you are the Most Anonomous Person on this board!

Thanks Typhoon

Well, I'm not a pilot, but I FLY a desk in aviation and read this board daily....and finally decided I just had to register and respond to some of this stuff.

Hope that is okay.

--------

Re: Why Eastern Went Under????

PassingThru said:
Now we ALL know.....

It was talked to death

-

You think this is bad--you shoulda been there when it was all happening.

Sorry if we're boring you PassingThru.

Eastern redux

From today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette about the IAM vote:
"In anticipation of today's IAM vote, few were hazarding any predictions about its outcome.
Many mechanics appear to be angry with both the IAM and the airline -- and this could influence the results.
Some are so angry with the IAM that they are working to replace the IAM with a smaller rival, the American Mechanics Fraternal Association.
Don Miller, a US Airways mechanic for 13 years, said he was insulted that IAM leaders contended that the rank and file were confused when they initially rejected the company's offer.
"We know the consequences. This isn't an easy decision for any of the guys," said Miller, who is based in Pittsburgh. "We're tired of this. We're tired of the IAM. And if it means this airline has to go under, so be it."
If the IAM members vote down the concessions and the bankruptcy judge abrogates the existing contract, US Airways has said it intended to impose lower wages and benefits on mechanics and related workers."

On behalf of the 36,000 employees and their families of US Airways Group,I hope the next thing we hear out of you is "Welcome to Sheetz,pump #2 is on."

Latest resources

Back