• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.
  • Logbook Pro for Apple iOS version 8.1 is now available on the App Store. Major update including signature endorsements and dark/light theme support. Click here to install now.

What is the best flight school????

bigbenno

The Dude....
Total Time
2000+
if you want to spend an @$$load of moolah go to Riddle

TEXAN AVIATOR

Bewbies
Total Time
7000+
Where do you live?

LearLove

Total Time
12000+
I'd say your local FBO is as good as any. Shop around alittle, try some lessions at diff schools and with diff instructors before settling down for the long run. Also your instructor and your input/attitude will have alot to do with your training exp.

In the end basically the local FBO (after you've done the comparison/shopping) and a degree outside of aviation that you can fall back on will prepare you to be screwed by the industry like the rest of us.

FrenchTickler

Eating Cheese
Total Time
Go to France! They have great flight schools there and the training is topnotch! Plus all the cheese you can eat

kngarthur

Total Time
1. Get a loan for an airplane, and buy it!
2. Go on the AOPA site and find a flight instructor
3. get all your ratings!
3. Sell you airplane for more money then what you paid.

If you do everything right, you will have sucessfully got the same thing that an "academy" person paid 100,000 for cheap!!!!!!!

LearLove

Total Time
12000+
Flyforyou said:
Lear, cool pic of LeMond... haven't seen that in a long time.

Fly

Yeah, 89 worlds in Chambrey. I wish I had a bigger pic, Sean Kellys face is almost heatbreaking. So happy for Greg, so sad for Sean. I still hold Sean in the highest reguards as a pro cyclist. What a work ethic that guy had. I have a t-shirt singed by Lemond, Kelly, Fingon, Bugnuo, Phiney and others from the 1990 tour du pont.

Tram

RaarR! SLM will getcha!!
Total Time
1653Z
I think the flight school depends on what you want to do or where you want to go with it..

If your looking to get it done quick - I would go to your local mom and pop shop, snag an instructor and fly, fly, fly..

For additional ratings, I would look at ATP.. Riddle is good but $$$$ and it takes YEARS to get all your ratings..

KO King

Total Time
UND all the way baby! Cheap as compared to others and great training. Only bad side is that it's in ND

Fly_Chick

Total Time
~1300
The best flight schools are the ones that:

1. Have the student's best interests at the forefront!

Following the above statement, in no particular order:

2. Are not motivated by money
3. Have good reputations and very little negative feedback
4. Have dedicated, knowledgable instructors
5. Have good maintenance

Last edited:

rgd

blah blah blah
Total Time
4000+
Where ever you go, do not pay for a bunch of block time up front for a discount. You go shell out 5k and they shut their doors the next day, you could really be hurting. I am assuming you want to make a career move here. If so, I would do what an American Airlines pilot told me to do 6 years ago. Go where it is cheap and where you can fly alot. Nobody in aviation that does hiring cares where you learned to fly. Get it done fast and cheap. I have never been asked where/who taught me how to fly. They will just want to see your logbook and your license. If is says FAA on it, it's good.

capt. megadeth

Metal Momma!
Total Time
>4999
LearLove said:
I'd say your local FBO is as good as any. Shop around alittle, try some lessions at diff schools and with diff instructors before settling down for the long run. Also your instructor and your input/attitude will have alot to do with your training exp.

In the end basically the local FBO (after you've done the comparison/shopping) and a degree outside of aviation that you can fall back on will prepare you to be screwed by the industry like the rest of us.

Can I get an AMEN?!?

McNugent

Whatever...
Total Time
Don't necessarily go to the cheapest bidder. There is a difference between quality and quantity. Yes, total flight time is important, but make sure you aren't getting some CFI that is just out to throw some time in his log book, barely teach you anything then dump you. I had the best of both worlds. I got my pvt. and inst. Part 61 at the local FBO then everything else at UND. Both had their pro's and cons. I wouldn't trade the UND experience for anything, I did learn a lot, but like any other big school there is their way and the real world way. Go with what fits you best, shop around... Good luck

capt. megadeth

Metal Momma!
Total Time
>4999
rgd said:
I have never been asked where/who taught me how to fly. They will just want to see your logbook and your license. If is says FAA on it, it's good.

No doubt.

Tram

RaarR! SLM will getcha!!
Total Time
1653Z

Night_Flight

Total Time
2LGBKS
I also agree on attending a Part 141 flight school. Sure you may spend a little more but you get quite a bit more as compared to the local FBO.

UND Aerospace is what I reccomend!

www.aero.und.edu

-Night_Flight-