What is the best flight school????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
McNugent said:
Don't necessarily go to the cheapest bidder. There is a difference between quality and quantity. Yes, total flight time is important, but make sure you aren't getting some CFI that is just out to throw some time in his log book, barely teach you anything then dump you.

If you are relying on your instructor to spoon feed you, then you are a poor student. If you are taking the bull by the horns and the CFI is not doing their job, you will know. As a student, you should know what your next lesson is going to be over and come prepared so that the CFI can explain what you don't understand, smooth out the rough edges, and not waste the CFI's time or your money on going over what you should have studied and brought with you. A flight school is like any other school. You might be in the best school system in the world and get the worst teacher or vice versa. Understanding what you are saying, a good CFI is very important, but just because you pay big bucks doesn't mean you are getting one. If you are coming to you lesson prepared, studied up, and ready, and the CFI is not getting it done, find another one. Your best bet is to ask around the school and find a student who has recieved many ratings there. Ask them who to get or who to stay away from. If they have been there a while, they will know. Get other students opinions before you pick one.

BTW, if you are looking for just the best and money and/or time is no object, then you could do a lot worse than UND, that is for sure.

I would just like to make a comment about someone stating that ERAU is the best. I agree that ERAU is a very fine instituation BUT overall, it is too too expensive and its not worth it. Plus the enviroment there at Daytona Beach, its hard to study and be focus on your education. Many ERAU aviation students drop out the second year. They only have a 50% rate of graduates who initially start off as freshman. Mainly becasue the students party too much, dont focus,and some non aviation courses are to difficult for them to grasp.

ERAU aviation student are not that better off when they graduate. THey fly 172 which SOSU also does. ERAU does not have its own airport. They have to share the international Airport at Daytona, its a class C airspace. Its good but as a student its better to have a environment where you can make some mistakes and learn from it. SOSU in durant has a wonderful airport, it is going to have its own ILS and you can do A VOR approach or NDB approaches as much times as you want. You try to do that in DAB airport, the ATC will say they dont have time for you to do approaches or touch and goes.

I have also noticed that many ERAU graduates think they are kings and show off like they have to prove something. But when you fly with them they cannot be able to maintain there altitute by 200ft or their heading by 5 degree. they are not able to do a basic VOR, OR NBD hold. When they do a ILS approach, they cant keep a basic 3 degree glide slope or even try to keep the localizer straight. Trust me, i have many friends who attended riddle and they admit that they where fed with a golden spoon. SOSU makes you think outside the box.

Please dont get me wrong, ERAU is a great school, but the cost, and the quality and one one experience with the instrctor lacks intensively.

NOw you look at any SOSU grad. They know their stuff. They know how to fly a plane and keep the dirty side up and keep the plane straight and level. SOSU grad can fly in marginal of hard IFR and can do a good ILS, NDB, VOR approach. SOSU grad when faced with a difficult situation they can handle it. they are calm and can find soultions and be calm and relax and never panic.

The reason why I state all this is for people to have a broader understanding that ERAU is not what is really seems to be. Trust be i went there once.

Southeastern Oklahoma State University

You should go yo SOSU, it is one of the best flight schools out there for the price. www.sosu.edu

I would just like to make a comment about someone stating that ERAU is the best. I agree that ERAU is a very fine instituation BUT overall, it is too too expensive and its not worth it. Plus the enviroment there at Daytona Beach, its hard to study and be focus on your education. Many ERAU aviation students drop out the second year. They only have a 50% rate of graduates who initially start off as freshman. Mainly becasue the students party too much, dont focus,and some non aviation courses are to difficult for them to grasp.

ERAU aviation student are not that better off when they graduate. THey fly 172 which SOSU also does. ERAU does not have its own airport. They have to share the international Airport at Daytona, its a class C airspace. Its good but as a student its better to have a environment where you can make some mistakes and learn from it. SOSU in durant has a wonderful airport, it is going to have its own ILS and you can do A VOR approach or NDB approaches as much times as you want. You try to do that in DAB airport, the ATC will say they dont have time for you to do approaches or touch and goes.

I have also noticed that many ERAU graduates think they are kings and show off like they have to prove something. But when you fly with them they cannot be able to maintain there altitute by 200ft or their heading by 5 degree. they are not able to do a basic VOR, OR NBD hold. When they do a ILS approach, they cant keep a basic 3 degree glide slope or even try to keep the localizer straight. Trust me, i have many friends who attended riddle and they admit that they where fed with a golden spoon. SOSU makes you think outside the box.

Please dont get me wrong, ERAU is a great school, but the cost, and the quality and one one experience with the instrctor lacks intensively.

NOw you look at any SOSU grad. They know their stuff. They know how to fly a plane and keep the dirty side up and keep the plane straight and level. SOSU grad can fly in marginal of hard IFR and can do a good ILS, NDB, VOR approach. SOSU grad when faced with a difficult situation they can handle it. they are calm and can find soultions and be calm and relax and never panic.

The reason why I state all this is for people to have a broader understanding that ERAU is not what is really seems to be. Trust be i went there once.

ok... first off... dont listen to those who are talking bad about Embry Riddle.... Honestly I dont know about the Daytona Campus, but I will tell you that ERAU at the Arizona campus is tops. It beats the hell out of other flight schools. I dont care if people say that most ERAU grads are irrogant... they just wish they had a good eduaction like that. I went through 6 different interviews right out of ERAU and all of them offered me jobs!!! Cant say that for a mom and pop outfit. I have also had checks with the FEDS, and i simply performed the same procedures and skills that i learned at ERAU and the FEDS told me that they were very impressed and that I was a very good pilot. I then told them that i trained at ERAU and then they said (and i quote) "well that explains it, they are the best" I think that if you can make it through the training there... you will never have a hard time suceeding..... they set the standard very high.... that is why they are known as the best...... yes they do cost a lot of money, but YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...............

Local

With a little creativity and research, I'd say that the local FBO is the way to go. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely some shady 61 schools out there - been involved with a few of them myself. That's where the research part comes into play. There are some to be avoided like the plague, but there are also some that are every bit as good as the "we know what we are getting" 141 schools that will put you in debt for the better part of the next ten years. However, if you are dead set on flying for the regionals and are prepared to drop a ton of cash to get there, then the 141/"your airline here" academy may be the way to go. It IS a guaranteed interview at many schools - hard to beat that if you're 100% sure that's what you want to do.

Many times there is more opportunity to make contacts for corporate/135 jobs out of the local FBO than at a large flight school geared at placing people at the regionals. If you do your homework and shop around (yes it takes work on your part), you can save a ton of money by doing the local thing. Unfortunately many local FBO's don't have as many twins/complex aircraft as the larger places, but again, with a little creativity, you can get to where you want to be. I did the local thing for the basic ratings then went to ATP for multi training because no one at my local airport had that kind of equipment. Shoot, as someone posted earlier, now days if you're sales-minded, it might make sense to buy your own single engine airplane, get your ratings, fly the wings off it, sell it for a profit, get a light twin, get your ratings, fly the wings off it, and sell it for a profit when you get your first jet job. You'd definitely have a unique answer when your captain asks you "So where'd you do your training?"

In picking a school, one thing you need to realize is that you are only going to get out of the program whatever it is you put into it.. It doesn't matter where you go..

I have flown with alot of Embry guys and most of them have been pretty good pilots, as a matter of fact - to date my absolute best student and absolute worst student were both from Riddle.. I have had only 2 students bust checkrides and one was a Riddle guy, but that goes back to you get out of the program what you put into the program.. Every flight school out there puts out bad pilots and most put out good pilots also..

The downsides to Embry Riddle I see are the cost and the amount of time it takes to get the training done.. That's about it.. If your looking for a degree in something aviation related, there is no better place to pick it up than at Embry.. However, if your looking to get quality training - in a SHORT amount of time, Riddle is not where you want to be..

I had to make the choice of where I went and I put prioirty on these things..

1.) Quality of training (industry reputation)
2.) Program length (how long will it take me to get where I want to go.)
3.) Cost (if you can get the training in $50k why spend $100?)
4.) Multi-time (face it - you gotta get it to go places)

I wound up getting my private with "mom and pop" and then picked up the rest of the ratings with the 90 day ATP program.. I looked at several schools, asked several airline Captains where would "they tell their kids to go?" I had to chose between Flight Safety and ATP.. I went the ATP route.. One thing I learned a TON from was the actual XC's with me and my flight partner - two guys in a Seminole flying cross country.. Making the decisions, flying at the altitudes we want - it was all up to us.. 75 hours of this is worth a ton of expirence - I think that was the biggest plus out of the ATP program, not to mention the amount of time which I was finished in.. After all, most people here - the goal is Captain of a heavy one day - time is money and time is passing quickly. ;)

As far as bigbenno's bold comment - "I dont care if people say that most ERAU grads are irrogant... they just wish they had a good eduaction like that." I will let you read his rather arrogant comment and judge for yourself of the arrogance of many Riddle grads.. I didn't go to Riddle, I'm not jealous of Riddle, but a few of the Riddle kids get the "I am a Riddle grad" complex which causes them to think everyone wishes they went to Riddle.. :) Which, while we're discussing Riddle - how much multi time did you come out of the program with, bigbenno? Also, the whole ATP thing isn't for everyone, if you are wanting to get spoon fed all the info, then it's def. not for you..

I will say this, I have had 2 out of about 25 students bust check rides, one of them was a Riddle grad.. The kid simply didn't "understand" the whole "to/from" flip on a CDI..

I have seen good pilots come from ATP, FS, Riddle, Delta Academy, Ari-Ben, Skymates, etc.. I've seen really pathetic pilots come from ATP, FS, Riddle, Delta Academy, Ari-Ben, Skymates, etc..

Your flight training is what you make it.. If you want to do "just what it takes to get passed" you will do "just what it takes to get passed" at ATP, FS, Riddle, Delta Academy, Ari-Ben, Skymates, etc.. If you want to bust your balls, have the FAR/AIM memorized you can do that at ATP, FS, Riddle, Delta Academy, Ari-Ben, Skymates, etc..

ohh.. and the whole "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR" isn't always true.. What did you spend at Riddle Benno? I would be willing to bet my training was everybit as "solid" as yours and my loan payments are, while still not cheap, a good bit less. ;)

Riddle maybe the "Corvette" of flight schools, but there are alot of Trans Am's and Cobra's out there that absolutly wax the Vette' everytime. :)

HoursHore said:
Priceless.....

Yeh, I knew someone would beat me to it, so I left it alone. :D

"I don't care how arrogant they say we are, we're just really arrogant"

This is why people have to drag the fact that I went ro riddle out of me. A ton of douche bags come out of that place. I went there and taught there for 4 years. If you guys ever fly with one of my former students, you'll be glad to know that they won't have that attitude. That was one thing that wasn't allowed. I only wish other IPs there did the same.

Yeh, Flaming, I have met more guys who hide the Riddle fact, due to bunch of toolboxes who ruin the deal for all of you.. I had a student last week who was one of the coolest kids I've met, he was really laid back - knew his stuff better than most and you would have never known it by his demeanor..

I have no problem with Riddle guys, just lots of arrogant guys comming out of there, one of the most arrogant kids I have ever met went to Riddle, but I don't think that had anything to do with it, we found out how much he hated Riddle and he soon became known as.. well.. Riddle.. :) He's a decent enough guy, just very arrogant..

Latest resources

Back