The elements of success (in order of importance) are as follows:

Your attitude
Your natural abillities
Your motivation

Your instructor and the unwritten 'corporate culture' at the school

An organized approach to learning nad appropriate syllabus

A safe aircraft with properly functioning equipment and avionics

Reasonable weather

The school itself comes in pretty much last.
The school is a vaporous concept, and the excellence or lack of same in any of the above elements will more than eliminate any advantage of a so-called 'good' school.

Lots of folks from excellent schools have crashed airplanes, washed out at airlines, etc. Lots of pilots from tiny schools have done well.

There is no magic formula. You must make it happen.

The problem is that with the rising costs at ERAU more and more little rich kids wind up going there. Their sense of entitlement is astounding. I enjoyed my time there an worked hard as a student. If it weren't for the rising costs, declining quality of incoming students and a shift in program I would have taught there for another year or so. The climate became so bad there that it cause a mass exodus of their most experienced instructors.

My advice to anybody looking for a flight school, look for a good IP first. One that does it because they love it. All CFIs complain about their jobs, but i can say that I am a better person for teaching for as long as I did. I loved the experience of enriching a person's life mixed in with a few threats of physical violence;)

I recommend the Air Force Academy. There is no tuition but of course there is now a 12-14 year commitment I believe. It was a 10 year commitment when I was a cadet there.

Last edited:
KO King said:
UND all the way baby! Cheap as compared to others and great training. Only bad side is that it's in ND
Actually, the location of UND up in the frozen tundra is a bonus for ya. It's a winter survival school as well as a flight school. :) :) :) I love it up there! Great state with great hunting and hardly any people.

UnAnswerd said:
Out of curiosity, do CFI's make better money at the big name schools than they would at the local airport???
I don't know one way or the other about the comparison of $$$ per hour between various FBO’s and 141 schools, but your large 141 schools have a ready made clientele.....the students in the school are captive customers for those CFI. The CFI employees of those schools are earning money from students enrolled at the school. Back in 1994, UND hired 35 new CFI's to replace those who had moved on to other employment having made the hours required for an interview just before the fall semester started. I believe there were around 100 total CFI, CFII and MEI employed that fall. The schools hire an amount of flight instructors commensurate with their known student load. In 1994 if memory serves me, UND had 110 aircraft in their livery ranging from Piper Cadets, Arrows, Seminoles and two Citation jets. Also some helicopters float planes, tail draggers, and aerobatic aircraft.

Latest resources

Back