• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What has ALPA done for me lately?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you "let em work it," then they could end up bankrupting the union and ending all union protection for ALPA members. When you sue your union, you're really suing your fellow pilots.

Hey PCL,
With your logic, when "your union" screwed the TWA pilots intentionally, are you saying that fellow pilots screwed the TWA group?
I hope alpo goes down the drain, but with affiliation with the AFL-CIO, the pockets are deep and I doubt that alpo will disappear and end your union protection. And why would you want to be associated with such an organization? Wow!!

Hey PCL,
With your logic, when "your union" screwed the TWA pilots intentionally, are you saying that fellow pilots screwed the TWA group?
I don't think ALPA National or the TWA MEC reps screwed the TWA pilots. The APA and AMR screwed the TWA pilots. But if you must insist on pinning blame on someone connected to ALPA, then your blame would have to go to the TWA MEC, not to ALPA National, because the local MEC made the decision to waive their contractual merger protections, on advice from an attorney that they personally selected from outside of ALPA. So, tell me again, how exactly did ALPA National have anything to do with the "screwing?"
And why would you want to be associated with such an organization? Wow!!

I'm not anymore. I'm an NPA member, but I proudly served as an ALPA rep for several years, and I find ALPA to be far superior to independent representation. This entire profession would be far better off if we were all represented by a single union.

Great.....Talk in your internal forums.

Rez, do you know why the TWA guys are suing ALPA? Enlighten me as I am not 100% familiar with the matter.......I'm pretty familiar with the timeline as it is described in the complaint and I skimmed the actual complaint, but I'm not understanding the TWA pilot point of view because I don't know what it is. Thanks!

Ual driver,
Here in lies the problem. While the TWA pilots were looking for some support from other MECs, they did absolutely nothing...IMO thinking this travesty would never happen to them. Therefore your MECs kept quiet and did not tell the line guys/gals what was happening to fellow pilots by an outside union. Perhaps an uproar from within alpo (other than TWA), may have forced alpo national to FAIRLY represent their constituents
Now you are looking at a possible merger, and you can thank your MEC for failing to step up and help your TWA brothers, for what may/may not happen to your potential integration.
Be thankful that this lawsuit has such merit and will most likely be successful, therefore setting the bar for future representation by unions during the type of scenario you may be facing in the near future.
The merits of this case will not be discussed anywhere other than our private TWA pilots board...until the lawsuit is heard.

While the TWA pilots were looking for some support from other MECs, they did absolutely nothing...IMO thinking this travesty would never happen to them.

Support from the other MECs? What were the other ALPA MECs supposed to do? And since the other MECs didn't allegedly provide support, is that why they're suing?

Therefore your MECs kept quiet and did not tell the line guys/gals what was happening to fellow pilots by an outside union. Perhaps an uproar from within alpo (other than TWA), may have forced alpo national to FAIRLY represent their constituents

Well that's what I'm trying to figure out. What was ALPA national supposed to do for the TWA guys to fairly represent them? What didn't they do to fairly represent the TWA guys?

Further, I don't think my MEC was trying to keep anything "quiet." I don't know about your union meetings, but anyone can walk up to the mike and ask anything they want, including whatever was going on with TWA at the time. Or you just pick up the phone and call your rep or committee leader. I do it all the time.

Now you are looking at a possible merger, and you can thank your MEC for failing to step up and help your TWA brothers, for what may/may not happen to your potential integration.

Again, what should my MEC at the time should have done? And I don't think I'd blame "my MEC" for anything as I am just as responsible as an individual member as my MEC is. You're probably better off saying "you can thank your fellow ALPA members for failing to step up and help your TWA brothers....." But I don't know what we could have done.

Be thankful that this lawsuit has such merit and will most likely be successful, therefore setting the bar for future representation by unions during the type of scenario you may be facing in the near future.

It's doubtful that any legacy ALPA member will be facing the same exact scenario anytime soon (bankrupt carrier bought out by non-ALPA carrier), unless you know something I don't. And if we did, I still don't know how ALPA is going to potentially screw me because I have yet to understand how ALPA screwed the TWA guys, because apparently it's pretty much a secret.

The merits of this case will not be discussed anywhere other than our private TWA pilots board...until the lawsuit is heard.

Then why are you guys even posting ANYTHING on this forum? It's like a big game of "I have a secret." Seems kind of suspicious.

Flopgut-

I don't get your first paragraph concerning your post to me. I don't know what the FAL merger is.....I guess it was before my time. Second paragrah concerning the RLA-great, let's get it changed.

Anyway, I give up my fact finding mission from this forum. I'll try another source. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nah, our secret plan is to sell the CAL Golden Share to Skybus.

(neener?)

Not half as much as fratricide.

Thanks, Soloman!

The "throw down" plan is embedded. Either get along and find an acceptable compromise...or you get pronged in binding arbitration. 'Course, a kick-a$$ plan can't work if you waive your right to use it.

Ahh! Agreement at last!

I'm with you! The RLA must be changed.

I seem to recall Duane Woerth telling us that in 2000, and 2004. Even gave us the responses to a pilot-focused survey the candidates had answered on our issues. Then he told us how important it was to vote for candidates who would support changes to the RLA.

Didja?

Much better.

Nah, our secret plan is to sell the CAL Golden Share to Skybus.

(neener?)

Not half as much as fratricide.

Thanks, Soloman!

The "throw down" plan is embedded. Either get along and find an acceptable compromise...or you get pronged in binding arbitration. 'Course, a kick-a$$ plan can't work if you waive your right to use it.

Ahh! Agreement at last!

I'm with you! The RLA must be changed.

I seem to recall Duane Woerth telling us that in 2000, and 2004. Even gave us the responses to a pilot-focused survey the candidates had answered on our issues. Then he told us how important it was to vote for candidates who would support changes to the RLA.

Didja?

double post

I have yet to understand how ALPA screwed the TWA guys, because apparently it's pretty much a secret.

Litigants that don't have much of a case like to keep things secret. I heard RJDC wankers drone on and on for 8 years about how they were going to "teach" ALPA about representing members properly. In the end, they settled for a fraction of their legal bills and still ended up having to pay over $1 million of their legal costs out of their own pockets. This will end up in much the same way.

Flopgut-

I don't get your first paragraph concerning your post to me. I don't know what the FAL merger is.....I guess it was before my time. Second paragrah concerning the RLA-great, let's get it changed.

Anyway, I give up my fact finding mission from this forum. I'll try another source. Thanks.

FAL was a long time ago. But it is the answer to Rez's earlier question "when did ALPA lose their soul?" Your new Master Chair is going to get busy communicating about the RLA as soon as safes stop falling on his head.

As Occam indicated: It's important to care about who you vote for (yes OR, I do/did).

Consider: When we were dealt the RLA there was a great amount of EAS (essential air service) out there. (tons in fact, it's a good thing to research) now because there was a large amount of air service that was "essential", and that airlines flew US mail (that was more important at the time) it was determined that we couldn't strike like most skilled, organized trades because it was too important. Well, none of us fly too much mail these days, and there is basically no essential air service left. SOooo...is there really any reason for us to be dealing with the RLA anymore? Nope!

That's the arguement to get rid of it. There is an equally good argument that if we ARE stuck with it, we deserve all the positive aspects I mentioned earlier. Talk to your rep about it and see when UALALPA is going to push it.

Latest resources

Back