What has ALPA done for me lately?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ualdriver

Just some more examples of the influence ALPA and ALPA-PAC have on the lives of airline pilots. We don't always win every battle, nor will we necessarily win all of these, but at least we can push some things in our favor.

The following is an update of current issues, however, we encourage you to continue to visit the ALPA website at www.alpa.org, read your Air Line Pilot magazine and other ALPA mailings for information on issues that impact our profession and our industry.

FAA Administrator

Acting FAA Administrator Robert Sturgell has been nominated by President Bush for the top FAA spot. Mr. Sturgell is a lawyer and former official of the NTSB. He has been deputy FAA administrator since 2003 and is slated to replace Marion Blakey, who has accepted a position as chief executive for the Aerospace Industries Association, a defense industry lobby group. Mr. Sturgell was a line pilot for UAL prior to working for the NTSB. UAL Captain Hank Krakowski recently accepted the position of chief operations officer for air traffic at the FAA.

FFDO and Secondary Barriers

Captain Bob Hesselbein, ALPA National Security chairman, testified before the House Subcommittee on Transportation Security and Infrastructure Protection. The subcommittee is part of the House Homeland Security Committee. Captain Hesselbein testified on improvements to the FFDO program and the need for legislation providing requirement of the secondary barrier on all commercial airline aircraft. Rep. Steve Israel (D-N.Y.), with the assistance of UAL-MEC Security Committee Chairman Captain Ed Folsom, introduced legislation requiring secondary barriers. For more on this issue visit, www.alpa.org in the members only section.

CrewPASS (airport access)
The TSA is required, by law, to provide flight crewmembers access through airport security checkpoints within 18 months from the bill signing date of August 3, 2007. We should expect to have this procedure implemented no later than February 3, 2009. For more information, click here.

Multicrew Pilot’s License

In 2000, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) conceived the Multicrew Pilots License (MPL). It is designed to train co-pilots to function immediately as flight crewmembers. It heavily relies on simulators to train zero-time students to function on specific aircraft in air carrier operations. The FAA has not approved the use of MPL. China will use the program. Lufthansa has announced it will explore using the MPL program as well. ALPA will address this issue at its May 2008 Executive Board meeting.

Overseas Aircraft Maintenance

Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) wants legislation that would mandate the FAA to oversee foreign aircraft maintenance facilities that are working on U.S. airline aircraft. “We don’t know who’s under the hood of the airplanes we are flying,” she said. “If it is in fact experienced labor union workers who are doing it, great. But I believe the public wants to pay what it takes to make sure we can fly safely.”

Pension Reform Legislation

Earlier this month, at ALPA’s urging, legislation was introduced that would close loopholes that enabled management to gut workers’ contracts during tough economic times. This legislation would also put employees and retirees on equal footing with businesses and banks when companies file for bankruptcy. The “Protecting Employees and Retirees in Business Bankruptcies Act of 2007,” introduced by Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) and Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Ill.), promotes economic fairness and requires true shared sacrifice among all company stakeholders.

Akaka/Miller Bill

Sen. Daniel Akaka (D-Hawaii) and Congressman George Miller (D-Calif.), along with our government affairs department, continue to search for a suitable vehicle (an appropriate bill within the proper jurisdiction) to include this provision (which would change the PBGC rules so that pilots who must stop flying at age 60 would not have their benefits actuarially reduced by the PBGC in a terminated plan). There is no lack of support for this legislation. However, all pilots are urged to contact their congressional representatives and ask that they sign on as co-sponsors. This is easily done through the link provided at www.alpa.org, or by clicking here. The bill numbers are HR2103 and S1270.

This is how it is done:
Sign into the “members only” section at www.alpa.org (you need your ALPA number and password)
Click on link on left side of paged labeled “Pilot Related Legislation” (or click here)
Scroll to S1270 and click on it (or click here)
Enter your Zip Code in the box to the right
Send the pre-written message
Return to the page where you selected S1270 and select HR2103
Enter your Zip Code again
Send pre-written message

You have now sent messages to your two Senators and your Congressman. It is imperative that your voice be heard on this very important issue.

FAA Reauthorization

Now that the House has passed this bill, it is up to the Senate to pass its version. If the Senate passes its bill, it will go to a conference committee to reconcile differences before going back to each house for a final vote. The issues range from who pays (airlines or corporate) for ATC modernization, to reopening the ATC controllers contract, pilots’ retirement age, to many other ALPA issues (FFDO, ADS-B, pilot fatigue, wake turbulence, etc.). President Bush has threatened to veto the FAA Reauthorization Bill because of the collective bargaining provisions for the NATCA (National Air Traffic Controllers Association) and the overall budget being proposed by Congress. The FAA is currently being funded by a continuing resolution.

Age 65
The House version of the FAA Reauthorization Bill (reference previous section) has all of the ALPA-supported language addressing the age 60-65 issue. The Senate currently has S65 in its version, but once the bill comes to the Senate floor, Rep. James Oberstar’s (D-Minn.) language from the House bill will be adopted.

Rep. Oberstar inserted language addressing ALPA’s issues concerning the pilot retirement age in the House version of the FAA Reauthorization Bill. His language requires that any changes to pay and/or retirement programs be negotiated and agreed to with the pilot unions. I have listed other issues in previous reports. For more information on this, click here.

Open Skies

We continue to support our alliances in Congress in opposition to this agreement, as the DOT and White House want it to happen. The FAA Reauthorization Bill (see above) has some language in it protecting the current foreign ownership rules. The President hasn’t threatened a veto on this issue alone, however, it is expected he will want language relaxing foreign ownership limits. Rep. Oberstar has made it clear to the EU aviation community that there will be no modifications to foreign ownership restrictions. Negotiations are scheduled for next year, after the first stage of the Open Skies agreement takes effect in March 2008. This issue remains the single greatest threat to our careers. We will update you as this develops.

Your continued support through the ALPA-PAC and UPPACs is of vital importance if our legislative agenda is to be successfully carried forward. We again wish to thank those who have recently signed up for ALPA-PAC and UPPAC. Your Legislative Committee extends its continued gratitude to those longstanding participants and contributors to our legislative effort.

In closing, remember that your participation and involvement does make a difference! This statement applies to our legislative, strike preparedness and daily business YOUR union volunteer members work on your behalf.

This is a second in a series of more in the future I hope. I'm going to title them all "What has ALPA done for me lately?" so when some clown comes on this forum and proceeds to tell all who will read how ALPA does "nothing" for the airline pilots in the U.S., I can just tell them to do a search on "What has ALPA done for me lately?" and he can read about everything that ALPA and ALPA-PAC "doesn't do" for us airline pilots.

yeah, I am so happy that ALPA supports raising the age 60 rule, even against the majority of the membership vote.

Instead of ALPA, we should start calling it ALPO, as in the dogfood alpo. LOL

Pension Reform Legislation

Earlier this month, at ALPA’s urging, legislation was introduced that would close loopholes that enabled management to gut workers’ contracts during tough economic times. This legislation would also put employees and retirees on equal footing with businesses and banks when companies file for bankruptcy. The “Protecting Employees and Retirees in Business Bankruptcies Act of 2007,” introduced by Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) and Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Ill.), promotes economic fairness and requires true shared sacrifice among all company stakeholders.
Nothing like closing the barn door AFTER the horses are out...

Great. Thanks.

Don't get me wrong, it's great legislation, but when ALPA is successful at getting BACK 100% of the lost pensions through negotiations PLUS the salaries pre-9/11, adjusted for inflation, PLUS this new legislation to protect them from being gutted again, I'll be more likely to celebrate.

Long way to go...

PoconoPilot said:
Yeah,,, because THAT was original. *sigh* :rolleyes:

yeah, I am so happy that ALPA supports raising the age 60 rule, even against the majority of the membership vote.

Age 65 is coming whether we want it or not and ALPA choose to be a part of the solution. Hopefully the association can have some sort of internal influence on the process rather than watching from the sidelines and hoping for a favorable outcome.

Age 65 is coming whether we want it or not and ALPA choose to be a part of the solution.

Nice to see the ALPA propaganda machine does work (on some people).

Age 65 is coming whether we want it or not and ALPA choose to be a part of the solution. Hopefully the association can have some sort of internal influence on the process rather than watching from the sidelines and hoping for a favorable outcome.

Sorry, you must have a better crystal ball than me. I can't with certitude say that age 65's coming. But I do know that a MAJORITY of ALPA is opposed to it, as per their push poll. Now what's ALPA national's stance on this? Oh yeah, they support a MINORITY position.

A better title for this might as well be 'what's alpa done TO me lately?'

Latest resources

Back