Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

What do RJET pilots think happens after RJET SLI?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F9 Driver

Wear The Fox Hat
Arbitrator Eischen's final SLI award is due in mid November.

I'm curious, what changes to daily life are the new RAH IBT leadership, the L3 UTU leadership and YX ALPA leadership telling their members to expect after this award is handed down and when do you expect them?

What I've overheard in the crew room is so far from reality that some serious management of expectations is required.

Settled RLA law defines the process after the award. Before any change to daily operation occurs: 1) One of the participating unions needs to petition the NMB to determine if the groups constitute a "single carrier" for purposes of representation. 2) IF the NMB rules that a single carrier exists the entire integrated group must decide on a single union to represent them. (If the NMB doesn't find that a single carrier exists - all bets are off and the lawyers get paid more to figure out what we do next.) 3) That single union must negotiate a TA with RAH management, and ratify with the entire membership, an amalgamated contract that includes a mechanism to implement the arbitrator's decision - and all of the other issues that have been open for the past few years.

Unless all of these steps are completed, the SLI award and resultant MSL mean diddly squat. Even if the process works like clockwork I doubt any change will be felt for a long time to come.

I post this because I am hearing more and more questions / statements about next steps and am afraid that there will be lots of misguided expectations, disappointment, and USAir / America West type sentiment come November.

Settled RLA law defines the process after the award. Before any change to daily operation occurs: 1) One of the participating unions needs to petition the NMB to determine if the groups constitute a "single carrier" for purposes of representation. 2) IF the NMB rules that a single carrier exists the entire integrated group must decide on a single union to represent them. (If the NMB doesn't find that a single carrier exists - all bets are off and the lawyers get paid more to figure out what we do next.) 3) That single union must negotiate a TA with RAH management, and ratify with the entire membership, an amalgamated contract that includes a mechanism to implement the arbitrator's decision - and all of the other issues that have been open for the past few years.

For those who have been paying attention to our leadership and SLI team, the above is what we expect. I don't know what you are hearing from across the room, but most of the impatience I hear is just wanting to know the arbitrators's decision. I think a fair amount know that it isn't going to be an instant, "flip the switch" situation.

Even if the process works like clockwork I doubt any change will be felt for a long time to come.

That's likely a good thing, gives us all time to gel, hopefully.

......and am afraid that there will be lots of misguided expectations, disappointment, and USAir / America West type sentiment come November.

Me too, from all sides.

RJET pilots will most likely think a quick upgrade and shiny jets will happen.

This is old. Get over yourself.

Does it really make any ********************ing difference? The way things are going, we're gonna be outta business within a year.

Does it really make any ********************ing difference? The way things are going, we're gonna be outta business within a year.

Remain calm, everything is fine. All is under control. Nothing to see here. Move along. You just keep flying that EMB-190 at rates that are 1/3 of what you should be making.

I think there may be some merit to this. I would not be surprised if one or two of the certificates currently held under the RAH umbrella ceased to exist in the not to distant future.

"Republic" will holding company will remain in business, but it is going to look completely different than it does today.

"Settled RLA law defines the process after the award. Before any change to daily operation occurs: 1) One of the participating unions needs to petition the NMB to determine if the groups constitute a "single carrier" for purposes of representation. 2) IF the NMB rules that a single carrier exists the entire integrated group must decide on a single union to represent them. (If the NMB doesn't find that a single carrier exists - all bets are off and the lawyers get paid more to figure out what we do next.) 3) That single union must negotiate a TA with RAH management, and ratify with the entire membership, an amalgamated contract that includes a mechanism to implement the arbitrator's decision - and all of the other issues that have been open for the past few years."

I don't know why anyone would believe something different than the above. All of the involved parties agreed to this exact scenario prior to the beginning of the SLI negotiations.

I am hoping that the above process takes enough time for all of us to get on the same page.

The IBT is going to try and become the bargaining unit without even holding an election. That in and of itself should tell everyone how strong they feel about their chances in a fair election.

Are you guys implying there will be more furloughs? I thought Republic was hiring. I'm guessing the Midwest pilots will not be offered meaningful employment for years.

The IBT is going to try and become the bargaining unit without even holding an election. That in and of itself should tell everyone how strong they feel about their chances in a fair election.

I think this is your version of the paranoia we at RAH have of BB and friends. The IBT leadership is fully aware that there is going to be a card drive and is preparing their campaign.

Are you guys implying there will be more furloughs? I thought Republic was hiring. I'm guessing the Midwest pilots will not be offered meaningful employment for years.
I doubt there will be any immediate furloughs but I also don't see too many recalls of the guys currently on furlough taking place. We are combining multiple pilot groups of which one of them aren't bringing any airplanes and another group is bringing 3 airplanes for only the next 6 months. As it stands, we will have too many pilots and not enough airplanes.

In the future I certainly expect to lose FFD contracts as they come up for renewal which would remove more flying at a faster rate than the branded side is adding flying.

Hahaha, you think Republic is meaningful employment. Hahaha.

Latest resources

Back