• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

well that was quick.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G4dude, if you're pro-free market, then wouldn't you be pro-contract since that's how businesses do things in the free market? And since NetJets has contracts with aircraft manufacturers, service providers and other companies, shouldn't they have the same written binding agreement for employees, too? From a company perspective, it's much more efficient to have one contract with all employees, and that my friend requires a union.

G4dude, if you're pro-free market, then wouldn't you be pro-contract since that's how businesses do things in the free market? And since NetJets has contracts with aircraft manufacturers, service providers and other companies, shouldn't they have the same written binding agreement for employees, too? From a company perspective, it's much more efficient to have one contract with all employees, and that my friend requires a union.

Very good question! No, in my opinion, union contracts are not the result of the free market, but of a coercive government enforced struggle. An agreement between an INDIVIDUAL and a company is an excellent example of the free market, however. As for a union relationship being more efficient for a company, absolutely not, because unions result in lower productivity, reduced ability of the company to adjust to changes in the marketplace, a deterioration of worker/management relations due to the union's desire for the workers to feel they REALLY need the union, and featherbedding, among other factors I am too tired tonight to cite.

I believe the same could be said for all business contracts. Sigh.

Very good question! No, in my opinion, union contracts are not the result of the free market, but of a coercive government enforced struggle. An agreement between an INDIVIDUAL and a company is an excellent example of the free market, however. As for a union relationship being more efficient for a company, absolutely not, because unions result in lower productivity, reduced ability of the company to adjust to changes in the marketplace, a deterioration of worker/management relations due to the union's desire for the workers to feel they REALLY need the union, and featherbedding, among other factors I am too tired tonight to cite.

I would agree with that statement in the context of a factory but not in aviation! If aviation companies were run by upright respectable people that would be true but the infortunate relaity is they are not. I can guarantee you would have a Bway.1 arrival if you fatigued without the protections of the contract. Aviation is the one industry where a union needed. It's not just economics.

Thank you JTF. some people only read what they want because they cannot see the reality in front of them. This isn't meant to be a dig just stating a fact. It's all in there. we are heading for some harsh times.

Kid, I love you opinion on scope! Really.

But, you should not post that "Luthi stated the company is going to keep shrinking over the next ten years."

Not so, you put together a bunch of posts and summarized that on your own.

He NEVER stated that in ANY post on the union message board.
Just plain wrong to claim that. I have talked to a steward about this tonight.

I may not "see the reality in front of me", but, you dont read what is written right in front of you.

I would agree with that statement in the context of a factory but not in aviation! If aviation companies were run by upright respectable people that would be true but the infortunate relaity is they are not. I can guarantee you would have a Bway.1 arrival if you fatigued without the protections of the contract. Aviation is the one industry where a union needed. It's not just economics.

We have the FAA to protect us from situations like that. Also, we flew for years with no union...oh screw it, been down that conversational road already. :)

I believe the same could be said for all business contracts. Sigh.

Business contracts are between one company and another, between 2 entities. A union contract is between a company (one entity) and the union, which does not represent the interests of all the workers, just a majority. In my free market system, an agreement between one company and one worker is the way to do it. Then, each worker's interests are satisfied, not just a majority of the group's. If the individual worker is not satisfied, (s)he has the option to not complete the agreement. No need for strikes or slowdowns or class warfare discussions on Flightinfo. :) No coercive rule by the Majority. We are Individuals, not Members of a Herd.

We have the FAA to protect us from situations like that. Also, we flew for years with no union...oh screw it, been down that conversational road already. :)
Oh yeah.... The FAA.... Federally Aiding Airlines.... THEY'RE our buddies..... Having the FAA watch out for your best interest in the realm of commercial aviation as akin to letting a coyote watch your chihuahua. Reference Part 121 flight and duty limitations as an example. How many people have been killed as a result, yet the FAA has done nothing until Congress applies pressure, then it still takes years.

Regarding your opinion on unions in aviation, I won't attempt to influence your opinion, however I do highly suggest you start digging into the Railway Labor Act. Your ideas of how the real world works are off.

Latest resources

Back