• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Watch out FOs on Before T/O PAs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's true, some of our guys like to hear themselves talk and regurgitate the same stuff the CA said at the gate. While DH I've heard pre takeoff announcements that included route, weather at the destination, and yes, the kind of airplane taking off in front of us and a quick explanation of wake turbulence (once). Honestly nobody cares and it usually just interrupts people from their magazines, kindles, books, etc. Plus, what a lot of people don't realize is that they just got done hearing the FA ramble on the PA for 10 minutes about all sorts of crap.

I don't have a FOM but either way my manual doesn't say anything about me not being able to make an announcement.

B/s. It is a clear violation of sterile cockpit unless the parking brake is set. Its in the FOM, it's law and it's a violation that can be handed out from a fed riding in the cabin. Captian usually makes PA at the gate, followed by the one prior to takeoff by the FO. Sterile cockpit is a hot topic so crawl back under your rock. You're probably the type who likes to hear himself talk and repeat everything the captain said at the gate but in your own words. Utterly ridiculous. Do it by the book or ill be happy to call pro standards until you catch the drift that this isn't kosher.

Wow!! Deflate your chest about 50 psi will ya?? I bet you are very popular................. on the "bid to avoid" list.

Ive heard that our wonderful FAA observers are dinging crews for sterile cockpit violation for saying anything other than number blah blah for takeoff, FA be seated. Don't they have anything better to do? Like combating fatigue?

Had the assistant POI on the js about 3 weeks ago out of XNA, he didn't say a word. Do what the FOM says. Per haps we should be more careful of things that actually matter like actually doing a pre/post flight walk around and actaully paying attention and not missing a softball size dent in the nosecose that was just recently painted over by mx with no logbook entry in the can.

Last edited:
B/s. It is a clear violation of sterile cockpit unless the parking brake is set. Its in the FOM, it's law and it's a violation that can be handed out from a fed riding in the cabin. Captian usually makes PA at the gate, followed by the one prior to takeoff by the FO. Sterile cockpit is a hot topic so crawl back under your rock. You're probably the type who likes to hear himself talk and repeat everything the captain said at the gate but in your own words. Utterly ridiculous. Do it by the book or ill be happy to call pro standards until you catch the drift that this isn't kosher.

Anyone who knows what a "critical phase of flight" is knows it has nothing to do with whether or not the parking brake is set. -And you are the one getting all uppity.

Last edited:
I don't have a FOM but either way my manual doesn't say anything about me not being able to make an announcement.

I'm certain your FOM gives announcement guidance; when to make announcements, when not to, what not to say, etc. I'm also certain than the prepare for takeoff announcement is in quotations which means "say this exactly as written."

Ive heard that our wonderful FAA observers are dinging crews for sterile cockpit violation for saying anything other than number blah blah for takeoff, FA be seated. Don't they have anything better to do? Like combating fatigue?

I don't recall the term "dinging" in the FAA Guidance. I know of violation, warning, counciling, and even re-examination. Did the Inspector just say something like "you are getting a little long winded on that PA. Just follow your SOP"?

And normally when you start with "I've heard..." it is usually as accurate as any news report on any aviation topic.

Last edited:
The more pressing underlying message in all of this is that people continue to do things outside of the FOM (not that this is a huge violation) with a Fed in the jumpseat. Too bad the FO didn't pull out his droid to use the text message version of the pre-takeoff announcement that his riddle-diddle buddies sent him. Here's a hint guys, if there's a Fed or company line check guy in the jump seat, pretend it's a PC.

The more pressing underlying message in all of this is that people continue to do things outside of the FOM (not that this is a huge violation) with a Fed in the jumpseat. Too bad the FO didn't pull out his droid to use the text message version of the pre-takeoff announcement that his riddle-diddle buddies sent him. Here's a hint guys, if there's a Fed or company line check guy in the jump seat, pretend it's a PC.

The sad thing here is there should be no difference who is or is not on the jumpseat. How about do your job like you are paid/trained/expected to do.

I got dinged on a check for saying the names of the flight attendents and not "Flight Attendents." That is weak.

Latest resources

Back