Waste Management & EJA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Majik said:
As a professional, I should not expect a tip for loading and unloading bags into the limo, since that's not my job. I am a professional and throwing bags is not what a professional would do. I supervise that the bags are loaded/unloaded properly and get the pax safely from point A to B. If throwing bags was part of my job description (which it isn't) then I'd have to reconsider. You guys that are doing all of that extra stuff and expecting $omething extra are going to continue to be di$appointed. If it gives you a warm feeling, then go ahead.
Unreal! You don't think doctors and lawyers help pick up their office at the end of a day. I know one that does and he is a pro. You are missing something here. Professionalism is an attitude and a behavior. It has nothing to do with what you do, but rather how you do it. I load bags, get coffee, etc. and I am a professional. Sitting in the cabin while your pax get their own bags is just stupid and dispays your massive yet fragile ego.

I think you should stick to fracs. That stuff won't fly in the corporate world.

Gear guy, I got news for ya. It doesn't fly here at NJA either. He has just been lucky enough to not been caught. He will though... maybe not tomorrow or next month, but eventually he will be brought in to do the carpet dance.

Lord Wakefield said:
3 questions:

1) How'd you get the line guys to do bags?
I say, "Hey fella's, can ya please come unload these bags?"
2) How long you been doing this?
Been at NJA over 4 years. Been letting the line guys do their job for almost 6 months.
3) How'd you keep your job?
I just make sure I follow my job description to the letter. If NJA wants me to load the trunk of the limo, they'll let me know. If they want me to drive the limo to the country home, they'll let me know that too. Look, why does the FBO hire line guys? To assist the pilots with baggage, catering, coffee, ice, fuel, trash, vacuuming the plane, servicing the lav, etc. What's wrong with letting them do their job? I tip them for their good service, as do some of the owners.

My experience is the line guys disappear as soon as the baggage door opens but magically reappear before the pax leave for a tip. Doesn't even have to be raining. I go look for them or I get on the radio and ask the FBO if they can send someone out to help with the luggage. I normally call about 10 minutes out and let them know what services we will require.
I often wonder how the owners got to be wealthy when they're so oblivious to such conspicuous behaviour. Makes me wonder too, but I haven't had a single complaint in the last 6 months since I started letting everyone do the job they were hired to do.
Look, they are people that simply want to safely get from point A to point B. I provide that service with a smile. I enjoy the job. I spent 4 years trying to do it the other way - by doing everything conceivable that I could think of that went above my job description. I have seen no difference in the passenger's demeanor since I stopped trying to do everyone else's job 6 months ago.

NJACrewservicer said:
Gear guy, I got news for ya. It doesn't fly here at NJA either. He has just been lucky enough to not been caught. He will though... maybe not tomorrow or next month, but eventually he will be brought in to do the carpet dance.
NJACrewservicer - 4 1/2 years and never been called in. One month ago I was briefed after my 4th leg to asap to BED after midnight. Got there and the FBO was darker than the inside of a cow's a$$. Why didn't you call the FBO? Your snafu got me another 1 1/2 hours of OT and messed up scheduling's early trip for me the next day. Same thing happened 3 weeks ago after an asap from MDW to another small fbo. Last trip's crew food was mistakenly ordered for the following day. When I realized your mistake I called the caterer. They couldn't get it delivered in time. PM authorized us to go get a meal and expense it. Your snafu gave us the best meal we had all tour. I can't count the number of times you screw up and I do "your job." I'm not saying I'm perfect but - I'll continue to do my job, how about starting to do yours. If I did my job as well as you do I'd only crash at least once a tour. Instead of holding your breath, waiting for my carpet dance, maybe you should try concentrating on your duties and maybe you'd make fewer mistakes.

gear_guy said:
Unreal! You don't think doctors and lawyers help pick up their office at the end of a day. I know one that does and he is a pro.
I seriously doubt Doctors and Lawyers really clean their offices at the end of the day. I can just see them getting out the vacuum and the mop now, ha ha ha. Unreal is right!!! Thanks for the laugh.

All I am saying is that they(doctors) operate as a team. Maybe you should try it. I hate that you are too good to help your customers with their bags. I guess you would'nt expect that if your were buying a share of your company's aircraft.

BTW- if all they want to do is get from point A to B....why don't they just take the airlines. In fact, I think your marketing department has really missed something here. Maybe they should change their logo to "we'll just get you from A to B." I guess that's what you get when you have the most experienced pilots in the industry(according to website).

nonsense

Majik said:
Landed at a field the other day where there were no rampers available (a municiple FBO). I unloaded the bags behind the wing, told the pax to have a nice day, grabbed my FO and we went inside the plane to fill out the logbook and pick up the trash. We watched them through the window as they stood there with puzzled looks on their faces. After a minute they began making multiple trips from the plane to the FBO to recover their numerous bags. My back feels much better and I have enjoyed my job much more since I adopted this new policy. Who needs or expects tips? Not me...
I honestly think you are nothing but talk. This kind of treatment would certainly be reported to the folks up in owner services, and it wouldnt be long before you heard from your PM, and you would be disciplined for your actions. Assuming for a moment that you are telling the truth, go ahead, make the owners mad. In fact, make them so mad that they won't renew their contract.

You were hired to provide a SERVICE to the NJA owners, and you are compensated to do so. It's really a pretty simple arrangement. Taking your frustration with this arrangement out on the people that ultimately provide you with that compensation is sheer idiocy. Remind me to never give you anything, for fear of being shot. If you want to hide behind some flawed argument about it "not being in your job description," go ahead. I would be willing to bet you don't even have a copy of your job description.

Go ahead, keep behaving in this manner. If I see you doing it I will call your PM myself and report you. I for one like having HAPPY owners, not ones that are angry. You have an outlet for voicing the problems you have with the company (the MEC), yet you choose to act in an unprofessional manner, and then go on a public website and brag about it. Good job.

Mephisto said:
I honestly think you are nothing but talk. This kind of treatment would certainly be reported to the folks up in owner services, and it wouldnt be long before you heard from your PM, and you would be disciplined for your actions. Assuming for a moment that you are telling the truth, go ahead, make the owners mad. In fact, make them so mad that they won't renew their contract.

You were hired to provide a SERVICE to the NJA owners, and you are compensated to do so. It's really a pretty simple arrangement. Taking your frustration with this arrangement out on the people that ultimately provide you with that compensation is sheer idiocy. Remind me to never give you anything, for fear of being shot. If you want to hide behind some flawed argument about it "not being in your job description," go ahead. I would be willing to bet you don't even have a copy of your job description.

Go ahead, keep behaving in this manner. If I see you doing it I will call your PM myself and report you. I for one like having HAPPY owners, not ones that are angry. You have an outlet for voicing the problems you have with the company (the MEC), yet you choose to act in an unprofessional manner, and then go on a public website and brag about it. Good job.
It did make for a dang good story though, didn't it???
All of the stuff about the crewservice snafu's was true.

Last edited:
Go ahead, keep behaving in this manner. If I see you doing it I will call your PM myself and report you.

I guess that what we expect out of a few of our 'Brothers," maybe you can shuffle over and help out with those bags, I won't, if the ramp help won't put the bags on a cart to get to the Land Rover, the owner can keep the 5 bucks they were going to give 'em.
Tell George or Dave or Gary Hart, next time you speak with them, the natives are not happy and anything outside of necessary isn't going to happen.

Did you really say you'd report a fellow pilot to the COMPANY? I'll accept,'Sorry I was drunk.'
x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back