Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cosmotheassman said:
Dear Mr NJAowner:

By that theory, you behave towards waiters, valets, and taxi drivers differently than a "professional". You base your behavior on social status. How nice of you.

"Attitudes and egos", I think we all know who is projecting the elitist attitude here.

How dare us fall from being "professional". Again, you prove to us that you look down upon anyone but what you envision as a professional.

Expecting tips has nothing to do with being a professional. It has to do with character and circumstance.

I tested this theory personally a few weeks ago. We picked up the wife of an NFL player. The limo driver handed me all the bags out of the trunk and I loaded them into the airplane. She gave the limo driver a $100 tip. Arriving at our destination I wanted to test the theory, so I personally unloaded all the bags and carted them 50 yards to the limo and loaded them into the trunk. She then looks at me and says, "you didn't have to do all that, thank you so much." And guess what, no tip.

I went above and beyond of what is expected of me and, she acknowledged that verbally. Do I ever "expect" a tip for these things, no. But, I believe I did deserve a tip. Why she didn't is because people assume pilots are rich. And, that is the wrong reason for not tipping someone. Tip someone because they went above the call of duty regardless of their social status. And, tipping doesn't always have to be monetary either.

Making more money has to do with personal issues? Are you smoking crack?

Last question Mr NJAowner: Why would an elitist professional such as yourself be doing mingling with us lowlifes on this message board for pilots??? Why would you be here reading all of this?? That is very "unprofessional" of you to be posting about the people whom you put your life in their hands. And whoever said you were a NJA owner anyway? You're probably a college student with nothing else better to do since the vaseline ran out.

Go sell crazy some place else. We're all stocked up here.
Wow! I must be crazy too. Is it customary to treat your customers this way? I would be careful biting the hand that feeds you. If I ever win the lottery(not likely), I think I'll use FLOPS. NJAowner, I suggest you do the same. No wonder you guys get paid that way. I think you have a few guys with attitude problems draggin the whole crowd down. Just my opinion.

Tips - I don't need no stinking tips

I for one was shocked the first time one of my owners handed me a $100 bill and said, great flight - here ya go. I tried to refuse it and he stuffed it in my pocket. Coming from the Military/Flight Instructing/Regional/Majors as I did it was unexpected. I was offended at first, thinking the owner thought of me as he did the limo guy and the doorman. Then I got over it and realized they are just being generous. On the rare occasion when that occurs now, I thank them and then put the cash into my Grandkid's 529 college fund.

I deal with limo drivers by saying, "Come around here and get these bags for me, please." Bend over under that oily engine and earn that tip. Line guys deserve every tip they get - and I tip for service such as doing the dustbuster, windshields, lav ballet, etc. What the heck, I get reimbursed for them.;)

Except for very rare occasions, I don't throw bags for NetJets passengers anymore. I let the rampers load and unload the luggage and give them the $5 that NetJets authorizes. I supervise to make sure they don't take off crew luggage and that they load it properly. If there's no ramper around, I go look for one. Takes an extra 15 minutes sometimes, but I have 14 hours to work with. Landed at a field the other day where there were no rampers available (a municiple FBO). I unloaded the bags behind the wing, told the pax to have a nice day, grabbed my FO and we went inside the plane to fill out the logbook and pick up the trash. We watched them through the window as they stood there with puzzled looks on their faces. After a minute they began making multiple trips from the plane to the FBO to recover their numerous bags. My back feels much better and I have enjoyed my job much more since I adopted this new policy. Who needs or expects tips? Not me...

Don't Worry, Be Happy!

bizjetman said:
You wonder why you do not get a tip.........
No, you are wrong... I USED to wonder why the line guys got the tip when I did their job. I finally wised up and let them EARN their tip instead of doing their work for them. I think everyone is much happier now. I know I sure am. NJA Owner is right! As a professional, I should not expect a tip for loading and unloading bags into the limo, since that's not my job. I am a professional and throwing bags is not what a professional would do. I supervise that the bags are loaded/unloaded properly and get the pax safely from point A to B. If throwing bags was part of my job description (which it isn't) then I'd have to reconsider. You guys that are doing all of that extra stuff and expecting $omething extra are going to continue to be di$appointed. If it gives you a warm feeling, then go ahead.

I love to make the Limo guys load bags... I love the way they show up at the aircraft and just stand there with their hands folded waiting for the bags to load themselves..
Line guys, just point at the bags and tell'em where to put them.. If they don't help and show up for the tip after the bags are loaded just walk into the FBO and talk to the manager.. It works!!
Let'em load and unload the bags in the aircraft too, its their job... That's one of the reasons why it takes an hour to turn a plane!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back