Waste Management & EJA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let me clarify...

I knew I was going to have to break out the fire extiguisher after my last post:) , but I am really just trying to give you guys an idea of why you see some of the crazy stuff you do. Hopefully, we can have some productive discussions about these issues and actually accomplish something that can help us all out. You have your perceptions of schedulers and we have our perceptions of pilots. Like I said, hopefully we can correct some of the "mis-perceptions" we both have.

First, let me reiterate that what I am saying applies only to a very small percentage of the pilots we have. Also, I would not and am not saying that I or any of you should ever advocate ANY unsafe practices. Be it in regards to maintenance, crew rest or whatever. I am one of the few schedulers here that has some actual flight experience (14 years) and I understand "life on the road", fatigue, the body-clock, and all that.

My main point was that, just as there are 1000 variables that affect each flight you fly, there are 1000 variables that can affect the flight schedule and each of those varibles multiply the chance that your schedule will be affected because of a problem caused by someone else or something else that you or I have little or no control over.

Yes, I understand that people get sick or, as LR45JI stated, don't have the mental capacity to fly on any given day. I do not disagree that most times a person DNIF's for entirely legitmate reasons. But, there have been several occassions that certain pilots will DNIF on a fairly regular basis or we have seen certain pilots that seem to have set patterns.

For example, Capt. ABC will call in DNIF on the first day of every tour if his day starts before 1000L. When one guy DNIF's (legitimate or not), it causes us (schedulers) to change someone elses brief in order to cover the trip(s) that they were assigned. I get the blame when you get the 3 AM wakeup call.

When I pilot says they are fatigued, we know that that is an unarguable safety of flight issue and there is nothing we can do about that. That is a no-brainer, set in stone as it should be. In the example I gave of the guy being fatigued, I left out the fact that the guy did it 3 days in a row. All relatively short days (less than 8 hours) during normal hours (9AM-5PM) and with little or no actual flying involved. I'm just saying that there are times that things appear suspicious.:rolleyes: I hope I am wrong.

As far as write-up's go, I was not saying that you should not write-up maintenance issues. That is ridiculous. But, when you see one guy write-up 3 or 4 different aircraft in one day for nearly or exactly the same thing when 3 or 4 other crews flew those same aircraft on several legs without incident. You have to wonder. Once again, that is the perception. I also know that you can walk out to almost any aircraft right now and find a "downing" discrepency. I also know that this is just a fact of aviation.

I guess my main point was that while schedulers usually deserve much of your wrath, there are some occassions that some of your own deserve that wrath also. And there are other times, that neither the schedulers nor pilots are to blame.

Lastly, I was simply giving you some abbreviated examples of what I have seen which may or may not be the actual facts. Just as some of you have stories or instances that lead you to believe that "Schedulers are not held accountable", "Schedulers waste millions of dollars of cash on a daily basis", "Netjets give them whatever they want", "Schedulers are inept and incompetant", or my favorite "Schedulers are corrupt". All of which have been posted on this board. Hopefully, with some dialog, we can fix some of this kind of crap and actually work out some solutions to these issues.

Hey Sarka,

How does Scheduling determine whether or not to accept a pilot's offer to come out 3 days early in the VII fleet when there are no requests for volunteers in that fleet.

I don't ever offer to extend but I've flown with senior pilots that are able to extend at will when others couldn't buy an extended day. It still goes on, even though Boisture says it doesn't. Do you guys have to justify extended days or are you able to write blank checks with no questions asked?

Majik -

Scheduling doesn't decide this anymore. We used to be able to extend guys or bring them on early, but we had to justify that it was an operational need (i.e. nobody else in the bullpen, no other way to cover trips without sell-off, etc.), but that has been pretty much taken out of our hands completely now. Crew Planning (CP) has to approve pretty much every extention now as far as I know.

You should contact CP directly if you want to come out early or extend. They will send us a list of guys that have been approved. I don't know how they decide who can and who can't.

I still get calls from guys wanting to come out early or extend and usually direct them to CP. I can send an email to CP and let them know when/if we could really use you. Don't know if this has any affect on what they (CP) decide, but figure it can't hurt.

We can still extend 17-day schedule pilots (involuntarily or preferably voluntarily) if you are on a tour of less than 5 days and have not been extended previously in the month. This also may affect days off between tours and compensation days may be required, so it is really discouraged. There are no blank checks though and everything has to be justified.

Last edited:
Sarka said:
B) was too tired to fly that 1.2 hr trip after having 21 hours rest on his second day on the road after amassing a total of 1.5 hrs flight time and about 5 hrs of duty so far on his tour (happened yesterday). And, only telling us after he has ferried the a/c 1.0 hr into position.
21 hours of rest?!?!?!? Maybe on a strech of days off!! As soon as this company realizes that there is a different between SLEEP and REST we will all be aot happier. "Green" and legally rested in the computer is NOT necessarily the case biologically.

I've gotten that call at 2am when I fell asleep at 11pm with a brief for a show at 12 pm the next afternoon. With 3 hours of SLEEP but legal REST you want me to be with it enough to perform 100%?? Nope. Tired. It's just one of the weaknesses of being human.

Latest resources

Back