washing the plane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Do you wash your company's plane?

• Are you kidding? I don't wash my own car!

Votes: 241 66.0%
  • Sometimes if we can't find an "eager" lineman.

Votes: 51 14.0%
  • My official job title-washboy/switchmonkey

Votes: 73 20.0%

• Total voters
We have a line service department that cleans the aircraft inside and out.

In order to wash an aircraft here you need special training, must wear OSHA required fall protection, comply with EPA requirements for storm water runnoff and HAZMAT. You must comply with OSHA requirements for the chemicals in use. You must have completed VPP training, etc........

Pilots are not qualified to do it.

Last edited:
At a previous job, the last time I dressed a set of boots I splashed some of the boot stripper in my eyes. Mind you, I was expected to do this job, but there were no safety glasses given to me(as an example). I ran for the water fountain hoping to open my eye and see something. Screw that......11 million dollar a/c and I'm dealing with fuming, caustic chemicals to clean de-ice boots? The mechanic already told me he was unhappy with the work that I had done and the way he trained me to do it could easily(in his own words) damage the boots. Okay, then he should do it. Actually, he wanted to...and he wanted to be the one responsible for keeping the a/c clean on the outside, too. It kept him more familiar with what it needed and he was freaking meticulous. But the CP, I believe, was too scared to explain it to the boss.

And, I once worked near an operator that blamed the a/c cleaner when their Citation folded a landing gear on a landing.....I don't need that, either.

I think in the first case(my personal experience) it was an example of a flight department, always staffed by two, that grew from single-engine, to king air, to citation, etc. etc, but never outgrew some of the more persistent small-time mindsets on pay and duties.

There can be valid arguments made for why you should be careful when accepting the responsibility of washing the company a/c. Way beyond just being a 'prima donna'. And if you're changing tires on the company jet, or even King Air, you ought to have your head examined.

By the way, where are all these over qualified pilots some of you are talking about? We've got a position open and can't seem to get too excited about anyone that we've found so far. I don't see a glut of pilots by a long shot.

I worked for a South FL 135 operator and flying the aircraft was considered a perk! Your primary job was to take care of the aircraft. That included washing, waxing and polishing the bright work. As soon as I found a better job I was gone.
I then worked at a part 91, 2 man flight department. That was a bit better, but I was still responsible for the aircraft. After a year of that I found a real job.
The way I see it is that I am a professional and should be treated as such. I never saw any of the office workers cleaning the building after the end of the work day....so why should I have to wash the aircraft.
I prefer to spend the free time that I have off with my family instead to washing the aircraft.

Last edited:
This conversation should end with:

1. A phone call.
2. The statement "Hi, (insert detailing company name here) my airplane is dirty. It needs (wash,wax,brightwork,etc.) Thanks! See ya.
3. Go hit on the girl at the FBO.

done.

There are some insurance and safety concerns when cleaning a corporate aircraft. Personally the liability of damaging something on the aircraft scares me. I'll leave it to the professionals who are bonded and insured for that type of work.

We do service our lav at our home airport, run a dust buster through the cabin and wipe down the tables and galley. That's part of the job and doesn't share in the same liability issues.

Cleaning an airplane really falls under maintanace. You need to clean an airplane to maintain the paint, and rid it of damaging oils, and fluids. As such it should be a budget line item and scheduled much like a routine inspection is.

There are some insurance and safety concerns when cleaning a corporate aircraft. Personally the liability of damaging something on the aircraft scares me. I'll leave it to the professionals who are bonded and insured for that type of work.

We do service our lav at our home airport, run a dust buster through the cabin and wipe down the tables and galley. That's part of the job and doesn't share in the same liability issues.

Cleaning an airplane really falls under maintanace. You need to clean an airplane to maintain the paint, and rid it of damaging oils, and fluids. As such it should be a budget line item and scheduled much like a routine inspection is.
You read my mind.

How the hell did this thread get resurrected after nearly five years?????

has TOO much time on his hands - maybe he should go grab a hose and wash the plane.

I have seen crews based here wash the aircraft. We have people here that do that for a living but there are a few that do it themselves if it is a light wash and hire the company for bright work or heavy cleans.
Personally I think it is good to do it yourself every once in awhile as you tend to see things a bit differently than when you do a standard walkaround. I don't believe any of the crews I saw doing it were actually required by the owner but undertook it on their own.
It did not kill any of them and no doubt they were lowering that imaginary bar everyone is so concerned with. The irony is in all the interviews I have had, no one ever said the things they would not do.

I have seen crews based here wash the aircraft. We have people here that do that for a living but there are a few that do it themselves if it is a light wash and hire the company for bright work or heavy cleans.
Personally I think it is good to do it yourself every once in awhile as you tend to see things a bit differently than when you do a standard walkaround. I don't believe any of the crews I saw doing it were actually required by the owner but undertook it on their own.
It did not kill any of them and no doubt they were lowering that imaginary bar everyone is so concerned with. The irony is in all the interviews I have had, no one ever said the things they would not do.

well, I would certainly inquire about what is expected in an interview...especially at a smaller place that MIGHT expect pilots to do this type of thing during downtime.

So long as you know, you cant complain.

That being said, I personally think one can find better things to do on their downtime!

Well let's see, I'll pay you $110k a year to fly my Lear 60 200 hours a year, 3 weeks hard time off, full benefits including company paid healthcare and dental, but, I would like you to wash the aircraft every once in awhile.
No, I don't do windows.

Latest resources

Back