washing the plane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Do you wash your company's plane?

• Are you kidding? I don't wash my own car!

Votes: 241 66.0%
  • Sometimes if we can't find an "eager" lineman.

Votes: 51 14.0%
  • My official job title-washboy/switchmonkey

Votes: 73 20.0%

• Total voters

vossdr1

I wondered how many corporate drivers wash their own aircraft.

uhhh..

no..

If you are a small operation, its not unusual to ARRANGE for the plane to be washed, but to get out there and wash it?? c'mon...if that isnt part of the budget- what is?

I heard that washing airplanes is what they make co-pilots do at crappy companies that aren't worth working for...

But what do I know...

I just left a two-man flight department in which I was required to wash and wax the plane. In fact, the CP once asked me when I had waxed the belly of the plane!

In my new position as CP of a two-man flight department, we hire others to do that kind of work.

We routinely wash, (occassionally wax), bright-work, wheels, vacuum, detail interior, windows, lav service, carpet clean, touch-up paint, clean EFIS screens, sinks, oven... Thats just the tip of the iceberg.

Our maintenance guys don't even wash the planes... We have an outside company come in and do all that... We do have 2 dedicated "Airplane Cleaners" who tend to the insides on a daily basis.

I consider it my responsibility to tidy up the aircraft on the road. I'll remove bugs from the britework, pick up lint off the carpet, and make sure the cabin looks good. That, to me, is just taking pride in my aircraft and wanting my passengers to have a nice experience. I'm definitely type A and want things to be clean. However, I do not wash airplanes. Our company has two guys that do that for us.

At my first CJ job, my boss/chief pilot had me wipe down the entire airplane after every flight, and wax the aircraft every six months. I guess you could consider that washing the aircraft.
It was my first corporate job and I had no idea what to expect. I lasted six months. It took me that job to realize what I should and should not be doing as a pilot.

Be a pro-
Don't wash a/c!!
If you are washing A/c find a real job where you are treated like a skilled pro.
Crappy operators will take everything they can get. Don't let them take advantage of your desire to do a good job. Move on EJA won't make you wash A/c.

I washed planes when I flew charter. Each pilot was assigned a plane to take care of and we did it with pride. No prima donnas where I worked.

Latest resources

Back