washing the plane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Do you wash your company's plane?

• Are you kidding? I don't wash my own car!

Votes: 241 66.0%
  • Sometimes if we can't find an "eager" lineman.

Votes: 51 14.0%
  • My official job title-washboy/switchmonkey

Votes: 73 20.0%

• Total voters
I'm ultimately responsible for the way my airplane looks. As such, I clean the nacells a lot, as all King Air drivers probably have. With three King Airs, my company would have to employ a full-time "nacell guy" if we didn't do it.

I enjoy washing the plane periodically. I'm not required to. I can hire someone if I choose. However, I enjoy knowing where every scratch, oil streak, and soot streak is supposed to be. I have caught things that I would have never picked up on a normal preflight inspection. I am intimately familiar with my airplane, and that makes me feel comfortable.

On the other hand, if I were required to do it, I would probably resent it a little.

A former job of mine, I was primarily a hangar janitor. 75% of the hangar floor was carpeted (not the industrial carpet you put in the garage, not just one big door mat.....the type of carpet you put in the house). I was expected to vacuum the carpet anytime after someone would walk on it....mostly because you could see the footprints.....and also was instructed on how to vacuum the carpet.....so it would ensure that lines were evenly spaced and straight.....kind of like mowing your yard. After doing that....I washed and waxed the other parts of the hangar floor....oh yeah and dusted cabinets...etc.

I lasted only three months there before I found a job actually flying an airplane.

What's everone's opinion on this.....I can add up the time spent cleaning the hangar and put that in my logbook towards total time, right?? HA!!

I think it’s pathetic for pilots to be made to wash airplanes! Talk about lowering the bar, think about your dang profession when someone makes you wash the airplane. “So you want someone flying around your family in a $40M airplane to also do $7.50 an hour labor?”

No, we have a professional that cleans our airplanes. If the plane gets dirty on the road, we’ll try to arrange for some service to come clean it.

Notice I said, be MADE to wash the airplane! Personally, I’m a clean freak. I’m often out with the Dirt Devil and a can of Sparkle, tidying up the airplane. I do that because I have pride in my work. Tidying up your work place and being made wash an airplane are two totally different subjects!

Another problem with pilots washing airplanes is the liability issue! Think about if your highly trained and skilled pilot falling off the wing while washing your airplane breaking his back. That pilot will now sue the company and probably win a few million dollars that your insurance won’t cover all because you wouldn’t spend $300 to get it washed (this has actually happened, pretty open and shut case- most hangars are not very OSHA friendly)!

Another liability issue is how much do we pilots really know about washing airplanes? Washing airplanes is not exactly covered at FlightSafety recurrent. Now imagine our pilot trying to do a good job, and without thinking throwing some Windex on our $160K windshield, or scratching the hell out of the Britework? Betcha your insurance isn’t going to reimburse you for these easily made mistakes.

Nope, the only people that wash our airplanes are professionals that have experience and more importantly are insured to wash airplanes!

This thread has hit a nerve for me. For almost two years, I've been half of a two-pilot, one airplane department with one low-utilization King Air. I took the job after 9/11 and was thrilled to be earning a good salary (well above avg for a King Air pilot) and be out of the CFI game. However, the CP insists that we do a lot of things that I don't believe professional pilots should be doing.

We wash the plane after every other trip (as mentioned, King Airs get really dirty). We clean the interior thoroughly after every trip. We vacuum the carpeted portion of the hangar and lounge floors. We clean the painted concrete hangar floor. We cut the grass surrounding the hangar. We change our own tires, current limiters, and exterior lights. We scour the shower and toilet in the lounge bathroom. We spray weed killer in the cracks on the ramp.

Now, I readily understand that certain things above and beyond flying the airplane are part of my responsibility as a corporate pilot, and I accept that. I have never complained about loading luggage (and we load a whole lot of it). I have no problem doing Jepp revisions ... oddly enough, I actually enjoy that. I don't mind downloading new FMS/GPS databases, calling for limousines, or arranging catering. I don't mind making coffee, or straightening the airplane after a trip. I certainly take pride in having an airplane that is clean in appearance to our passengers. However, I do have a problem being yard boy, wannabe mechanic, janitor, and toilet scrubber. My boss will argue that we do these things because we are paid a 500-hour wage for a 200-hour job. He may feel guilty about this ... I do not. He is on a constant quest to save money in any way possible ... but to the best of my knowledge, the folks downtown have never argued any of our expenses or encouraged us to cut our costs. We are always operating under budget, and we report directly to the CEO. He is a very nice guy and a straight shooter who would tell us promptly if he had any complaints about the way we ran things. But, every time I try to suggest to the CP that perhaps we should hire a part-time "hangar rat" to take care of these things, the suggestion is promptly dismissed with some weak excuse. I'm at my wit's end.

Suggestions?

R

washing planes

If you are to good to wash a plane, then wait t'll you are in a non flying job. then you will gradly wash a plane if it means getting the job.

Pillot who think they are to good to wash a plane, just wait your time is coming to be humbled.

Re: washing planes

conquest said:
If you are to good to wash a plane, then wait t'll you are in a non flying job. then you will gradly wash a plane if it means getting the job.

Pillot who think they are to good to wash a plane, just wait your time is coming to be humbled.

NO SIR, I will be out of aviation long before I wash an airplane. 6 years of college, 2 degrees and 5 type ratings, yes I'm too good to wash someone else's airplane involuntarily.

It's people like you that will do anything to get a flying job that are the reason this industry is going down the tubes.

And no it's not because I have a great job that I am saying that, it's because I have too much respect for this industry, that has allowed me to have a great life, to let some punk take advantage of my love of flying by having me do menial labor.

501261 said:
Another problem with pilots washing airplanes is the liability issue! Think about if your highly trained and skilled pilot falling off the wing while washing your airplane breaking his back. That pilot will now sue the company and probably win a few million dollars that your insurance won’t cover all because you wouldn’t spend $300 to get it washed (this has actually happened, pretty open and shut case- most hangars are not very OSHA friendly)!

Another liability issue is how much do we pilots really know about washing airplanes? Washing airplanes is not exactly covered at FlightSafety recurrent. Now imagine our pilot trying to do a good job, and without thinking throwing some Windex on our $160K windshield, or scratching the hell out of the Britework? Betcha your insurance isn’t going to reimburse you for these easily made mistakes.
Don't forget about the possibility of breaking a nail or staining your Dockers.

Open your eyes...there is a reason guys like 501261 and Falcon Capt have good corporate gigs. They are doing things the right way.

There is alot to learn from these gentlemen. I'd suggest you young charter pilots stop selling yourselves short, and stop thinking you have to justify the reason for your existence to your bosses. The sooner you stop kissing your boss' $%#$, the sooner he'll stop missing it.

Re: washing planes

501261 said:
NO SIR, I will be out of aviation long before I wash an airplane. 6 years of college, 2 degrees and 5 type ratings, yes I'm too good to wash someone else's airplane involuntarily.

It's people like you that will do anything to get a flying job that are the reason this industry is going down the tubes.

And no it's not because I have a great job that I am saying that, it's because I have too much respect for this industry, that has allowed me to have a great life, to let some punk take advantage of my love of flying by having me do menial labor.

Amen, sir! It's not about being too much of a prima donna to wash an airplane, it is about respect and appropriate treatment of a professional. Does the senior VP have to scour his own commode? NO. That person does the job they were hired to do, and so should pilots. Our job is to safely and efficiently operate a flight department ... manage the aircraft and the employees in the department, fly the trips, take care of the necessary administrative details. We are pilots, not line service or detailers. We have a job to do, and so do they.

End of rant.

The Really Sad Part

Whats really sad, is that those of you who believe that the "professional pilot" occupation also includes double duty as janitor, aircraft washer, hangar rat etc. will one day be in a position of authority and no doubt will expect your pilots to do the same. :(

Russ,
With only 1200 hours this may not be the easiest thing to do but if I were you I'd be looking for another job. That guy you work for sounds like the proverbial "piece of work".

Latest resources

Back